Old August 25, 2002, 20:45   #91
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 22:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

Any problems upgrading from home to professional? should I get the full edition or the upgrade?

I have a 1.7ghz, 384 rdram (wish those prices would drop), should be ok. need to get more ram to run the game and other tasks faster
If you're talking about XP, no there isn't any problem upgrading, in fact it's a breeze. You might have to reinstall some of your drivers though, for some reason mine wouldn't recognize them, even though I had them working in Home. It's not really a problem though, certainly a lot easier to install them than with 98. Talk about driver hell!
Old August 25, 2002, 20:47   #92
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 22:55
Quote:
Originally posted by neonext

i shudder every time i hear someone suggesting Win 95/98/98SE/ME as an OS. Gamer or not, once you live with XP there is no going back
I agree, my whole system is working much better and faster than it did before with 98.
Old August 25, 2002, 20:55   #93
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 21:55
XP Pro isn't anymore stable than the home version. May even be a little less so since it does more. The differences off hand

Pro supports multiple processors

Pro supports a lot of stuff for working securely in a group.

Not a lot diffences for most people. MS has a page comparing the two here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp
Old August 25, 2002, 21:53   #94
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 00:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:

Any problems upgrading from home to professional? should I get the full edition or the upgrade?

I have a 1.7ghz, 384 rdram (wish those prices would drop), should be ok. need to get more ram to run the game and other tasks faster

There is a discount from MS from going home to Pro. I havn't come accross anyone who has done that. I will have recall from an issue of PCMag a few months ago that said the the Pro upgrade from Home is nicked named the "Opps" package.

I don't know really. I suggest you ask around to any local computer store (the mom & pop shops, not chains).

You need ask yourself, do you really need to. If you are running a network, then do it today. If some of your programs crash or you get a stop error, then I suggest it, the event viewer has helped me out with tech support (even with my experence, I need someone to fall back on still).

Also, don't count on the service pack to be on any use, it's only supose to forfill microsoft's settlment. And unless you are some freak who can't stand to have IE spend 40MB of your GB HD, and heaven forbid the MS messanger takes up 80K of RAm, then don't bother with it.

BTW: Don't expect RDRAM to drop, that's patented stuff, and with the justice department investigation over at Rambus, it's going to get ugly IMHO. I suggest switching your motherboard to somthing like SDRAM or DDR to get out of that fix IMHO.
Old August 25, 2002, 22:07   #95
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05
Also, don't count on the service pack to be on any use, it's only supose to forfill microsoft's settlment. And unless you are some freak who can't stand to have IE spend 40MB of your GB HD, and heaven forbid the MS messanger takes up 80K of RAm, then don't bother with it.
I'm not quite that anal

Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05
BTW: Don't expect RDRAM to drop, that's patented stuff, and with the justice department investigation over at Rambus, it's going to get ugly IMHO. I suggest switching your motherboard to somthing like SDRAM or DDR to get out of that fix IMHO.
I know, it pisses me off. whats worse is that I have to buy in pairs. can't buy just one 256 mb, have to buy 2. what a racket.
Old August 25, 2002, 22:17   #96
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
I know, it pisses me off. whats worse is that I have to buy in pairs. can't buy just one 256 mb, have to buy 2. what a racket.

It's nothing new, and if I recall it makes it cheaper. EDO RAM did this. SDRAM and SODIUM RAM are two I know don't require a pair, not sure about DDR.