View Poll Results: should abandoning cities affect your reputation?
NO! it's MY city, lemme do whatever I want with it! 9 34.62%
YES! it may be your city now, but you're not the original founder! 11 42.31%
either way 1 3.85%
don't care 5 19.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 11, 2002, 12:13   #1
PGM
Prince

Local Time: 05:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Reputation hits due to abandoning cities...
I don't know if it was intended or not, but in the previous patch Firaxis finally seemed to have gotten past the problem regarding getting a reputation hit every time you abandoned a city, even if acquired through peaceful means (I remember abandoning dozens of opponent cities, and getting no rep hits at all).
Now, in patch v1.29f, it's back! Come on, it's my city, let me do whatever I want with it. What do you think?
Old August 11, 2002, 12:44   #2
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 01:55
Do you get a hit when you abandon a city by building a worker or settler, when you hit the disband city thing, or both? I know when you disband a city, you don't get anything. Do you get something when you raze a city? I'm pretty sure. I think that you should only get a rep hit from razing, unless it doesn't give you anything, in which case you should get a rep hit from disbanding too.
Old August 11, 2002, 12:53   #3
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 22:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I don't care, since I'm playing psychotically, my reputation should be at atrocious level.
Old August 11, 2002, 12:57   #4
PGM
Prince

Local Time: 05:55
Abandoning a city doesn't give you anything other than a reputation hit. Razing gives you a few workers, and a reputation hit. Where's the balance...?
Old August 12, 2002, 10:36   #5
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 07:55
I voted yes, but how things looks now, it's close to no...

If the formular for loosing a city due to culture is changed, then it should give a rep hit, but as it stands now, it's just a pain in the ass to keep a city of size 12+ when the war is far from finish, so it's just so much easier to just raze the newly taken city, and build a new one there...
Old August 12, 2002, 16:55   #6
Moonsinger
Warlord

Local Time: 23:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I don't care either way. However, I think the game is working fine the way it is now. Let's keep it the same.
Old August 12, 2002, 20:16   #7
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 00:55
Quote:
Originally posted by ADG

If the formular for loosing a city due to culture is changed, then it should give a rep hit, but as it stands now, it's just a pain in the ass to keep a city of size 12+ when the war is far from finish, so it's just so much easier to just raze the newly taken city, and build a new one there...
Which is 100% unrealistic, non-historical, and just plain Fantasy. It's nuts.

And thus we see the crux of the main dilemma and problem with Civ 3. There are those who just want a Fantasy game with some "real" names slapped on for reference, and then there are those who expected Civ 3 to maintain the tradition of Civ 2 and be an historical simulation.

Abandonig cities (not towns), or razing them, should NOT be an option after the Ancient period. If used hence it should be a rep hit.
Old August 12, 2002, 20:42   #8
Tuberski

Local Time: 00:55
Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle

And thus we see the crux of the main dilemma and problem with Civ 3. There are those who just want a Fantasy game with some "real" names slapped on for reference, and then there are those who expected Civ 3 to maintain the tradition of Civ 2 and be an historical simulation.

Abandonig cities (not towns), or razing them, should NOT be an option after the Ancient period. If used hence it should be a rep hit.

Civ 2 was an historical simulation?

The only thing historical about it was the Earth maps.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old August 13, 2002, 00:54   #9
Edrix

Of course, if you're a warmonger, the rep hit won't really make much of a difference.
I frequently abandon culture-flipped cities because the AI seems to place them in the damndest locations. I can see how that would damage your reputation - I mean, what's supposed to happen to the citizens?

Old August 13, 2002, 06:35   #10
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle

Quote:

I guess I don't really get your point here!?!

First you say that it's unrealistic to get a rep hit, if you raze a city, while in the last line you say the opposite???

Which part did I miss here?
Old August 13, 2002, 06:54   #11
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 06:55
I think its the same negative event chain. You can't afford to capture enemy cities and leave them intact because it takes far more units to hold them than capture an entire nation and there is a danger if you attempt it that they will all die. So destroying the cities becomes more important than owning them. Civ III has a quickie option to raze a city rather than rely on the older tedious method of starving a city down to 1 and building a settler. No its not historical but it does allow a micromanagement free way of resettling your enemies. Until a better variant on culture flipping arises it seems to be a necessary evil.
Old August 14, 2002, 07:59   #12
Mattaba
NationStates
Chieftain

I just let captured cities starve down to 6 pop or something and then hurry some cheap culture improvements.