Old August 11, 2002, 20:08   #1
civ2yahoo
Settler

Local Time: 05:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Terrain improvement
When I'm improving terrain in the early game. I try to put two improvements, like mine and sol collector or whatever on terrain. Some squares allow me to do this and others do not.

Can anyone tell me how to figure out if I can put both a mine and a farm on a square and how to know when I'll only be able to put one down.

Some times I'll put down the farm and then next I'll try to put the mine but it says the mine would replace the farm, but other times it does not. This terraforming system is confusing at times.

How does this apply to the later improvements like boreholes too. Is it always just 2 improvement and sometimes 1 or does it change how much I can improve the terrain.

I've looked in that strategy guide but it was mostly about war and not about terraforming.
Old August 11, 2002, 20:13   #2
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 15:56
Farms and forests can't be built on rocky squares. Boreholes can't be built on slopes (adjacent to lands of different elevation, or something like that. Very annoying). I think there might be some other restrictions, but I can't remember them right now.
Old August 11, 2002, 21:16   #3
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 18:56
You cant build both mine+solar in the same square, you can't build farms on rocky. You can build mine/solar anywhere except fungus, and can always build one on a farm (but you almost never want to do farm+mine).

Forest and Fungus must (generally) be the only improvement in a tile, other than roads. That means anything will replace forest.

My guess is you have a farm+solar and try to build a mine too, it may certaintely get confused with the error it gives you. (but the mine will replace the solar)
Old August 15, 2002, 04:44   #4
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 13:56
IIRC after certain tech advances you can improve fungus squares.
Old August 15, 2002, 07:19   #5
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 15:56
That's correct, it's the Secrets of Alpha Centauri or another technology unit around there. It allows you to directly replace fungus with forest, farm, solar collector, etc., without using the "Remove Fungus" function first.
Old August 15, 2002, 07:33   #6
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

To add you can't have a condensor and a solar or a condensor and a mine. You can have a condensor and farm and a condensor/farm/soil enricher however.

Bunkers IIRC can be placed anywhere (cepting ocean squares of course). Same holds true for Airbases.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old August 15, 2002, 15:08   #7
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

The borehole restriction is that you cannot build a borehole if there is a sqaure of lower altitued adjactent to the possible borehole. In this case "lower" means in terms of which 1000 metre grouping does it fall under - a 1001 metre square is not lower than a 1999 metre square, but a 999 metre squre is lower than a 1001 metre square.

Clear?
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old August 15, 2002, 19:25   #8
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 02:56
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
That's correct, it's the Secrets of Alpha Centauri or another technology unit around there. It allows you to directly replace fungus with forest, farm, solar collector, etc., without using the "Remove Fungus" function first.
centauri PSI. afterwards, you still have to remove fungus to place a farm, but IIRC everything else can be built ontop. forests will replace fungus. you cannot build roads on fungus until centauri empathy.

solar collectors suck. they can't go with anything but a farm. soil enrichers give +1 nutrients (IIRC) to tiles that already have a farm.

boreholes may not be ajacent to each other.

its all kinda confusing, but its all in the datalinks, i think. i tend to overlook things like, airbases, and bunkers. i never built them in civ2 either though.
Old August 18, 2002, 03:40   #9
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 18:56
Actually in reference to building stuff on fungus, AFAIK the only things which actually function normally when built on fungus is Roads, tubes, Boreholes and the area effect of Sensors, Echlon Mirrors, Condensors (these improvements arent destroyed by pops, either).

So altough you can build solar, kelp, tidal, whatever, on fungus after Cent.Psi it wont achieve *anything*, doing so would therfore be an exercise in futility (a total waste of resources) and as such I didn't deem it worthy to mention in my original post.

The far greater benefit of Cent.Psi is being able to plant forest on fungus to remove fungus in just 2 super-former turns.