Old August 12, 2002, 01:01   #1
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 00:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
War Academy: SMC Generalized Plan: The Persians
Persia may not be number one, but they're another civ we should be wary of.

As you can tell, they have no problem waltzing all over our territory, they have no reguard for our borders.

The Persians have very little culture of their own, and with any luck Tyre and Sidon will flip to us in the near future.

The persians do not have iron right now but they will realitevly soon. Their immortals are 4-2-1. A unit even a pikeman cant defend against with certainty.

One good thing about Persia is that most of the cities we would want are located on the southern pennisula (Presopolis, Bactra, Susa, Tarsus, Gordium). This could be a simple "divide and conquer" maneuver.

In fact, if we get ahead after destorying America and France, we may be able to crush ther Persians without even suing for peace.

Once the penninsula is taken, they're basically nothing.
Old August 12, 2002, 01:02   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i hit enter and the damn thing posted. oh well.

heres the map.

discuss.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	persia.gif
Views:	180
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	22002  
Old August 12, 2002, 07:18   #3
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 07:57
I have to admit I can't stop drooling over that Peninsula, but we might want to wait until we have cavalry so we can roam into deep Persian territory as quick as possible without fearing that our force would be counter-attacked during its voyage.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 12, 2002, 08:01   #4
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 05:57
If we wanted to be sneaky we could build a city next to thier iron as it is outside thier cultural borders. Without thier immortals they would only ever be a second rate nation.

But if we wanted to be really really sneaky we could build a city next to their iron and then give the city to the english so that the Persians couldn't culture flip the city and would be facing a tough war if they tried to take it by force.

If we could deny the Persians iron it would mean no immortals, knights or pikeman. Or inother words a complete walk over.
Old August 12, 2002, 08:13   #5
Edrix

Getting that iron would require a settler/spearmen group be sent out NOW, as Antioch could expand any time now. Immortals have a defense of 2, so they're not really anything to worry about unless they start attacking too much. If we can cripple their military production soon enough (that is, make Antioch a primary target should they get the iron there), they won't be able to produce more Immortals and really won't have any advantage. The key is to overwhelm them right at the beginning so they won't have the ability to launch an effective counterattack. AFAIK, that one iron deposit is all they have, correct (I'm too tired to load up the .SAV right now and check)? Basically, if we ever hope to do anything to the Persians in the future, we need to get that iron now. No iron means no Middle Age military, at all. We could do this with Knights.

Old August 12, 2002, 08:14   #6
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I like your way of thinking! However I'm pretty certain the English are going to settle that spot before we do.
Nevertheless we should try settling it so we can give it to the English. Doing so would create us a much needed ally in the future.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 12, 2002, 09:14   #7
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

I like OPD's idea. Don't we already have a settler in the field with a spearman.

Sell your photos
Old August 12, 2002, 09:57   #8
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 02:57
I like the OPD idea, but I never give any city to another civ... and I think we can't waste any settler by now.
By the other hand, could be funny to be sooo evil...
Old August 12, 2002, 12:02   #9
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 05:57
Quote:
Originally posted by Edrix
Getting that iron would require a settler/spearmen group be sent out NOW, as Antioch could expand any time now.
yeah you're right i thought we had a spare settler but we built the city of memphis last time.
It'll probably have expanded by the time we build a settler and get over there.
Old August 12, 2002, 12:06   #10
Captain
King

at the very least, station fast moving troops near the Persian iron deposit, close enough that if war breaks out, we can cut the supply immediately, use the fast movers to pillage the rest of the roads around that city, so that it will be a dozen turns before they can reconnect, even if they kill our fastmovers.

or if we have pikes by then, pillage and sit on the source and hope their existing armies are not powerful enough to dislodge us quickly.

we use the time bought to rally our troops, hurrying whatever we must, and either reinforce the troops blocking their iron access, or to start taking cities, further cutting their production and cultural border. As long as they're without iron, we can win a war of attrition (even if they outproduce us, they'll only have archers!). Of course, we'd love to hit hard and fast enough that they'll beg for peace, but if they get aggressive soon, I don't think we'll have time to build an army big enough to meet the ideal.
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old August 12, 2002, 13:36   #11
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I like the english idea -- give them the city, and in return, get them to declare war on the Aztecs with us (we're too far away from the Aztecs to actually have to fight). Cripple England, Persia, and the Aztecs all in one -- I think it's worth a settler.

On the other hand, we could just build and give England the city and get something else we want in return, such as whatever tech they have.

Just a thought.

-- adaMada
Old August 12, 2002, 20:56   #12
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by adaMada
I like the english idea -- give them the city, and in return, get them to declare war on the Aztecs with us (we're too far away from the Aztecs to actually have to fight). Cripple England, Persia, and the Aztecs all in one -- I think it's worth a settler.

On the other hand, we could just build and give England the city and get something else we want in return, such as whatever tech they have.

Just a thought.

-- adaMada
I don't think the comp has been willing to give you anything for cities (and vice versa) since several patches ago. It only accepts them as gifts, and will only give them away for a peace treaty.
Old August 12, 2002, 22:50   #13
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 23:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I think Persia would be better suited to be an ally/ subject nation than areas to take over. We can use them long term against the english, who are #2 in the world, and the Germans, who's territory is much closer and thus much more useful to our empire. We have to stop worrying solely about our neighbors and start looking at the overall situation, and the Greeks, English and Romans are shaping up to be our biggest long term competitors- to say nothing of the Chinese and Japanese- we have no clue how big they are , almost half the map is unknown, and we don't know what the four missing civs might be up to.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old August 13, 2002, 02:54   #14
Shiber
Emperor

-- OT --

That reminds me - if we could be the first civ to make contact with those civs, we'd be RICH!!
The civs living in the other continent(s) are probably technologically backward in comparison to us because all of the Abananaba civs have been trading techs AFAIK. Why, we could sell them tons of technologies for gold and gpt! We could also sell communications but I'd rather be the only civ with communications with civs from overseas.
We should therefore make it a high priority to research means of safely traversing ocean tiles.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 16, 2002, 16:08   #15
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Shiber,
Another good idea . Again, might I suggest giving it it's own thread, so it can recieve the proper attention?

-- adaMada
Old August 16, 2002, 16:42   #16
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Well, fine sirs, I myself must admit that the Persian threat is, in it's own way, quite staggering. Xerxes of Persia is known to be a hard man, and I believe his moral character to be quite low. He is not trustworthy in my opinion, so do not let the overly pleasant smile on his face full you. Something must be done in order to eliminate any chance of betrayal on the part of the Persian empire. Now, I am not a warmonger, so I see war as a last resort in this case. Yet, if he is allowed to build his fearsome Immortals in mass, we shall not be able to stand against him. Something must be done, and it must be done now. We must try and seek a way to deny him of his iron access, and so make sure that he can have no chance of arming his legions of Immortals. If he is able to have these Immortals in his army, Apolytonia will be on the way out. However, as I said before, war should be viewed only as a last resort, though I cannot stress to you how high the threat of Persia is.
Old August 16, 2002, 17:01   #17
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

WE should keep a couple units roaming the border watching for immortals, especially buildups of immortals

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old August 16, 2002, 18:02   #18
Shiber
Emperor

Quoting from another thread:

Here's what I think we should do (this is based on an idea I heard about a week ago, I don't remember who suggested it though):
Send a settler ASAP (if we don't have any spearmen available to send with him then send him unprotected, as this has to be done ASAP) and make him settle on the tile that contains the iron Persia is about to acquire (or if they will expand into that tile by the time we get there, the tile next to it).
Once we settle, give the town to the English. It won't be of any value to us since it's far away from our palace and is stuck between Persian and English territory but giving it to the English would mean preventing Persia from acquiring iron in the near and maybe far future. Heck, Persia and the English might even go to war over it.
Other than that, giving the town to England will improve our relations with this civ and we might be able to get some gold in return, but the main objectives of this move will be the ones mentioned above.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 17, 2002, 11:25   #19
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Shiber is exactly right. This is what we should do, and once again, I support and endorse this plan. I know I don't hold much influence, but if someone like Uberkrux or Sir Ralph or Captain would care to endorse the plan, I think it'd serve as a great service to our civilization.
Old August 17, 2002, 11:28   #20
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

we should prepare to get them , while they are at war with an other nation , ....

and cav might not be bad , ....

30 vet units could do the trick

have a nice day
Old August 17, 2002, 11:32   #21
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

on Shiber's plan:

in my expierences civs never pay gold or techs for a city (they're too stupid to comprehend the value of a city. go soren)

sure, we could just "give" the English Iron, but why? They're bound to be enemies at soem point, why would we give them swordsmen / pikemen / kinghts / railroads?
Old August 17, 2002, 12:10   #22
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Brits already have Iron connected (next to Canterbury to be precise).
Giving them Iron won't change anything stratgically, except hindering Persia to go past spearman until at least gunpowder (and Persia's chance to get saltpeter is little, with their grassland / jungle territory).

It seems giving Iron to England will be a loss of a settler : we don't want England to be overpowered. If Persia only has spearmen when cavalry is around, then it will be a breeze for Liz to conquer it.
Plus, we have no guarantee at all Antioch won't expand until we arrive, or that the Brits won't settle there beforehand.
Antioch would cost 19 gold to investigate (our income of 1 turn). I think it'll be appropriate to see if Persians are building culture there, before sending a settler in such a hazardous mission.
Old August 17, 2002, 13:51   #23
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Local Time: 01:57
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
on Shiber's plan:

in my expierences civs never pay gold or techs for a city (they're too stupid to comprehend the value of a city. go soren)

sure, we could just "give" the English Iron, but why? They're bound to be enemies at soem point, why would we give them swordsmen / pikemen / kinghts / railroads?

The A.I will never, ever, ever accept one of your cities. No matter what the city has in it, or anythig else you may put in the deal. Its because of too many possible exploits.
Old August 17, 2002, 14:11   #24
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:57
That is the new patch, v1.29, where AI never accepts cities except freely. We are still in v1.21.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old August 17, 2002, 14:15   #25
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by trickey
The A.I will never, ever, ever accept one of your cities. No matter what the city has in it, or anythig else you may put in the deal. Its because of too many possible exploits.
The AI always accepts gifts, including cities. You can give cities to the AI, but you can never trade for them, except in peace negociations.
Old August 18, 2002, 11:53   #26
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

we could give the english species some iron , why not , before we go to war , we dont give it to them , ....and they cant build large numbers in 20 turns , and we can use the money , .....

have a nice day
Old August 18, 2002, 12:11   #27
Shiber
Emperor

Panag, we'll need a road or a sea route to England first.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 18, 2002, 12:39   #28
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
That is the new patch, v1.29, where AI never accepts cities except freely. We are still in v1.21.
hi ,

the AI accepts them in 1.29

its a great way to please them , and to start wars

have a nice day