Old August 12, 2002, 02:54   #1
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 23:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Constitutional Convention discussion continued
OK. I could put this up for approval. I think a poll on this should receive 67% yes counting no and abstain. If abstains are ignored for that vote, the whole thing could be a non starter and hence a waste of time.

Let me know what you think. Prior discussion can be found here

---

Constitutional Convention: Enabling Act

The Code of Laws will be rewritten by a select committee who will return to us with a completed document(s) once they are finished. They may return to stage quick, unofficial polls to guide them in the meantime if they feel a question warrants it.

The select committee will consist of 4 people. They will come to some form of agreement among themselves before they return. That means that at least 3 of them will agree that they are finished before they return to present the finished document(s).

The members of the select committee will be nominated by 2 other citizens of Apolytonia and must themselves be citizens of Apolytonia. A person is a citizen of Apolytonia for the purposes of this nomination process if their user name appears on the citizen list as of the beginning of the nomination process (the opening of the thread).

A thread will be opened for the purposes of these nominations. It will be maintained by the opener by updating the initial post with information regarding various nominations in progress. The thread will be open for nominations for no less than 7 days and no days beyond that once 4 nominees are obtained. In other words, it will be open for 7 days or as long as it takes to get 4 nominees. The nominee must accept the nomination by posting in the thread for that nomination to be final.

If more than 4 people are nominated prior to the end of 7 days, then all nominees will stand for public selection in a multiple choice poll. Those 4 nominees with the highest number of votes for them will form the select committee. In the event of a tie for a given total, the nominee(s) who accepted their nomination(s) at the earlier date and time will be deemed to have won and will go on to the select committee.

The current Code of Laws will be replaced with a Constitution with high standards for amendment. It will include general organization of the state and general principles of good government for us to hold dear as well as other elements the select committee deem warranted. The Constitution will be the supreme law of Apolytonia.

The Code of Laws will continue as a junior, and specific body of laws. Repeal of old laws and passage of new laws will be possible with lower standards of agreement. The intent is that laws would be relatively easy to pass and repeal as the situation warrants and that current circumstances are best served by laws which are easier to implement and change. Any law will have to abide by the principles of the Constitution to remain valid.

The completed document(s) will be posted for public discussion and may possibly be amended by the select committee prior to being put to a vote. The discussion of the new document(s) will last no less than 7 days.

Once discussion is completed, the completed document(s) will be put to public vote in a poll(s). That vote will last 7 days. There shall be no other options than yes or no. It may be desired by the members of the select committee to put more than 1 poll into effect. For instance, there may be one poll for the main body of the Constitution and 1 extra for each original amendment if they decide that would be a better way to present the matter. Additionally, there may a single poll (or more) for the acceptance of a new code of laws. 67 percent of the voters must approve of any Constitutional item by voting yes before that item will be be passed. The percentage approval for the Code of Laws should be defined by the new Constitution. If the main body of the Constitution is not passed then no other items from this process are passed either.

Should this project be successfully concluded, the new Constitution may then stand in it's own right. It will contain a statement near the beginning that it has amended the prior Code of Laws in it's entirety.

All significant clauses of the original Code of Laws and it's amendments should be addressed and included in the new Constitution, it's amendments and any accompanying Code of Laws.

/Edit. My spelling sucks. Someone proof read that for me will ya?

Last edited by notyoueither; August 12, 2002 at 03:02.
Old August 12, 2002, 03:19   #2
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Good job, nye.

EDIT/ 1bigcommunity has just started such a procedure yesterday for the same reason for their DG that is just starting up. I made similar points there like you have made here.

I would encourage each separate amendment be voted on independently of the Constitution.
Old August 12, 2002, 09:54   #3
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

hmmm...i'm not sure. How will the committee be chosen? I have no doubt there will be far more than 4 people than get nominated, and it would be unfair to just pick the first four because they were the first online to accept their nominations.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old August 12, 2002, 10:09   #4
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 00:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
civman that's in there. If there are more than 4 people selected, then there is a multiple choice poll between all the nominees, four highest go on. And if there's a tie there-- are you sure it's accept nominations first? I think he means nominated first.

I like it
Old August 12, 2002, 10:28   #5
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

oops, missed that. How long will the poll last? 5 days?

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old August 12, 2002, 11:43   #6
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 21:57
This is a very safe and legal way to go about changing our Code of Laws or Constitution or whatever people prefer calling it. I am in support.

I just have one question ... why only four people? I'm not saying I'm in favor of more (a smaller group is more efficient), I'm just curious why that number was chosen. I guarantee you that we'll have a lot more than four wanting to be included in this.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old August 12, 2002, 11:48   #7
Captain
King

reminds me of a "Royal Commission" or a focus group. I'm sure other people could draw up their own version of the Constitution and COL, and PM it to the group, and hopefully they'd consider it if it has merit.
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old August 12, 2002, 12:04   #8
Epistax
Prince

Four people is good because it means that if there is a tie on an issue, someone needs to be persuaded to switch, and compromise. If we had five people, no compromises, one side just wins. And yes, four is a nice small number.
Old August 12, 2002, 12:08   #9
Captain
King

the commission should probably have a look at Phoenatica's structure too, could get some good ideas and see where they encountered problems.

I'm in support of the idea of the Convention even if many people are upset they don't get onto it. the benefits seem to outweigh the negs.
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old August 12, 2002, 20:45   #10
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

I like this idea. At the very least it will be a good framework, and will jumpstart the new constitution; at the most, it will only need to be tweaked a little by the public before being quickly passed.
Old August 12, 2002, 21:06   #11
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 01:57
Interesting. I have no objections.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old August 12, 2002, 21:20   #12
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I set it on accepts nomination, because that would be when the nomination is final. It could easily be the date and time of the first nominating post though. People could help by expressing their preference(s) on this and other questions in replies in this thread.

How long the poll? Oh, darn. Good catch civman. I'm of the opinion that any poll involving the Constitution should run 7 days. That way all of our citizens are given an opportunity to express themselves when they drop by in their weekly schedules.

The number 4? Well, it's even, so that forces consensus and hopefully makes the final document(s) more likely to be accepted. It could be 6. Many more and the process likely starts to bog down due to scheduling, etc.

I think 4 is a nice, managable number. They should of course solicit and accept input from other interested parties.
Old August 12, 2002, 21:28   #13
civman2000
Emperor

I think 6 would be better. 4 means that all decisions are either 3-1 or unanimous, but I think it is important that there are more "shades" to the decisions. In the US SUpreme Court, it has a different meaning if a decision is 9-0, 8-1, 7-2, 6-3, or 5-4. Although we do not need that many shades, I think we need more than just 2 and 6 provides 3 while not being a huge amount of people.

Old August 12, 2002, 21:34   #14
Epistax
Prince

Well how do you want them to organize? If there's 4 of them, they could likely chat on occasions. If there's 6, they will have nothing more than the ability to send suggestions to eachother, until people finally agreeing to things to make things simpler.

There are five justices. How long do you think it takes for all of them to read one message from the other?
4 is better... 6 is worse..
Old August 13, 2002, 03:23   #15
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:57
I have to say that a lot of people have expressed a preference for reworking our Laws, and this seems the best way proposed to do so .

I like what I read so far, including having only 4 Committee members - they are there not to make decisiions for themselves, but to listen to what everyone says; disagreements should be rare, and there can always be a poll. Never lose sight of the aim to rework the Constitution to suit the people of Apolytonia - not just yourself.

Seven days sounds fine for both nominations and confirmations via voting.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old August 13, 2002, 05:29   #16
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 07:57
I support the idea.

Moreso, I'd like to suggest myself as a member of those 4.

I promise to clear time for it.
Old August 13, 2002, 05:30   #17
Sirotnikov
Emperor

I think that we should make laws defining the general structure of power - not the exact seats and ways and such.
Old August 13, 2002, 05:31   #18
Sirotnikov
Emperor

I also think that the drafts should be regularly published and discussed.
Old August 13, 2002, 08:17   #19
Epistax
Prince

<Awaits the next thread concerning this>
Old August 13, 2002, 13:41   #20
jdjdjd
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy Game
Prince

I must reiterate, that it may be best to amend and improve what we have, creating this new CoL is going to be time consuming with many polls and thats months from now after the initial set up is done, and this committee, will they commit to months and months of being involved?

I don't mean to sound negative, I'm trying to be practical...what you create months down the road may no longer be pertinent....we already have a code of laws that allows flexibility and improvement and can be made to match what is currently pertinent so long as those who wish change are willing to do the work...and it can be done, just like was done for the Court and Impeachment amendments.
Old August 13, 2002, 13:50   #21
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

While I agree with jdjdjd on the theory that we shouldn't need to rewrite the whole thing. Perhaps this commitee would be the best at focusing on what needs to be changed. An organized group where currently we only have a few individuals trying their own ideas. Have these guys appointed to working out the changes that need to take place.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old August 13, 2002, 17:58   #22
Sirotnikov
Emperor

I am willing to commit to being involved.

I think that the CoL shouldn't consist of a single document.

It should have 3 parts.

Constitution:
The most basic definition of the game, the goals and the spirit of law.
Can not be changed, but ammended with a great majority of the people (80%?) and the court. once accepted, the court must defend it.

Basic Laws:
Laws definind the most important things, like government positions, elections, currency and civil rights.
demand a large majority (60%?) and the court can demand change if they are unconstitutional.

Laws:
simple laws which do not have a huge and significant effect on game play. could be many in character laws, which have little real meaning. demand a regular majority. can be cancelled if they are unconstitutional.
Old August 13, 2002, 17:59   #23
Sirotnikov
Emperor

I also agree that we shouldn't necessarily give the comitte a right to define everything, but rather they will be 100% incharge of giving recommendations.
Old August 13, 2002, 18:05   #24
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 01:57
I would suggest, that even it it was rewritten, the meat would still be the same, only how it is organized.

There might be some radical changes - for example, I can easiely see the minister of imperial expansion position being deligated some day to say... the city planner.

But many other things, such as term limits, will still be the same, only it will be easy to find and much easier to understand.

Does this rambling make sence....

If OPD wins the election, and not I, for City Planner, then I would be more than happy to donate the time I would have spent as CP helping on this. I do suspect however, that jdjdjd is correct, if it occures, it will take a long time to do it right.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old August 13, 2002, 18:16   #25
notyoueither
Deity

I guess I'll brush it up and put it to a poll later this pm if there is no consensus for revision.

jd, I agree that throwing out what we have and starting over from scratch would be unproductive. Hence All significant clauses of the original Code of Laws and it's amendments should be addressed and included in the new Constitution, it's amendments and any accompanying Code of Laws

I view this as a search and discovery mission to find the problems we have not yet encountered, to generalize the case specific nature of the current supreme law, and to break out those aspects which would be better placed in subordinate rules and statutes.

It would taske 7 days to enable the process, 7 more for nominations, 7 more for the poll to finalize the select committee. Except... The nominations thread could begin the day after the enabling poll if support seems to be there. So that's down to 2 weeks to get the ball rolling.

From our experience, it would be reasonable to conclude that the committee would take a week or 2 to sort itself out and get down to issues. A couple of weeks (or 3) after that they might be able to come back to us with some product. There isn't that much there to review and revise. 2 weeks after that we most likely will have the new system in place.

In the mean time, certainly the game can continue. Amendments that are needed can be passed. No reason why not.

To summarise. I agree, amend and improve. That is the intent. It is just that to me it seems that a comprehensive amendment would suit our purposes better than a piece meal approach. I for one would like to put this material behind us and get on with the game.
Old August 13, 2002, 18:20   #26
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sirotnikov
I also agree that we shouldn't necessarily give the comitte a right to define everything, but rather they will be 100% incharge of giving recommendations.
Exactly. And a very good reason why they should come back with a main body that is sure of passing and amendmends that can be picked and chosen from.

Also why there is provision for discussion.
Old August 13, 2002, 18:32   #27
civman2000
Emperor

I like siro's idea.

Old August 13, 2002, 18:35   #28
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
I do suspect however, that jdjdjd is correct, if it occures, it will take a long time to do it right.
Anyone who accepts a nomination should be prepared for a long haul. As the court has experienced, once you get into these things any given issue may require careful consideration.
Old August 13, 2002, 18:38   #29
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by civman2000
I like siro's idea.
Yes, I do too.

Constitution > Laws > Regulations.

Regulations would maybe be passed by the executive and subject to protest over turning by 51% poll?
Old August 13, 2002, 18:43   #30
civman2000
Emperor

I see no reason to not just let the people pass laws and regulations alone...it's been like that all along and there's no need to change that.