Old August 12, 2002, 13:03   #1
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 07:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Save game names?
Am I the only one around here, who is annoyed having to write the save game name each time (When you have tons of save-games, it's not that easy to just find the needed save game on the list)?

I don't like the thing, that it everytime I press ctrl+s (save game menu), the default save game name is: "{leadername} {Civ} {Age}", and if you just use this default name, then you end up having tons of different save-games...

If it'd just remembered the last save game name, then I'd be happy...
Old August 12, 2002, 14:07   #2
rob.derosa
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:59
Re: Save game names?
Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
Am I the only one around here, who is annoyed having to write the save game name each time (When you have tons of save-games, it's not that easy to just find the needed save game on the list)?

I don't like the thing, that it everytime I press ctrl+s (save game menu), the default save game name is: "{leadername} {Civ} {Age}", and if you just use this default name, then you end up having tons of different save-games...

If it'd just remembered the last save game name, then I'd be happy...
Umm, Overwrite? This could be the solution for you. If not, just stop complaining about petty things like this j/k
Old August 12, 2002, 14:29   #3
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Does it selfexplains, that I overwrite my savegame every time I save?

So it seems like you're missing the point of the thread...
Old August 12, 2002, 14:32   #4
candybo
Warlord

Local Time: 00:59
I keep my save game file on my desktop, for easy disposal
Old August 12, 2002, 14:40   #5
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 22:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
(Default file name: {leadername} {civ} {YEAR} )

Windows or Macintosh??

In Windows (I am using Windows XP), it remembers the last saved game with no problems.

On Macintosh, if you use the Civ interface then no problems either. If you use the Macintosh interface, then it does not remember the last game saved. I am using system 9.1 and I just click the "last modified" column which sorts by date and your latest save will always be on the top (or click the column a second time and it will be on the bottom). I much prefer the Macintosh interface, other than you are limited in the length of the filename.
----

Or did I misunderstand your whole point? Do you want just one save file throughout time? Since the default is always going to include the date, which I find quite useful, a way to limit your number of game saves would be to just have easy access to the 'saves' folder/directory and delete the old ones.
Old August 12, 2002, 14:41   #6
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by candybo
I keep my save game file on my desktop, for easy disposal
??? This has nothing to do with the thread? It's not about being able to delete the files, it's about being able to just save the game, without having to enter the whole save game name again...and again...and again...

But I guess it's just annoying for me, since I'm among the few people, who save the game each minute or something like that (I just can't stop doing it)
Old August 12, 2002, 14:43   #7
candybo
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe

----

Or did I misunderstand your whole point? Do you want just one save file throughout time? Since the default is always going to include the date, which I find quite useful, a way to limit your number of game saves would be to just have easy access to the 'saves' folder/directory and delete the old ones.

Ummmm, yeah

Ok, sorry. Yours doesn't autoscript?
Old August 12, 2002, 14:48   #8
Slax
Prince

Using a different default name each time you start a game will solve this problem. Be creative.
Old August 12, 2002, 14:49   #9
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
In Windows (I am using Windows XP), it remembers the last saved game with no problems.
Strange...I'm also using WinXP, but it keeps forgetting it!!! I have formatted (and reinstalled) several times, but it have never remembered anything...It only remembers the last savegame, when I want to load a game, but not when saving...
Old August 12, 2002, 14:51   #10
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Slax
Using a different default name each time you start a game will solve this problem. Be creative.
Ehmmm...the default name can't be changed!?! Or am I missing your point here?
Old August 12, 2002, 14:54   #11
delsolsi
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:59
Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
quote:

Strange...I'm also using WinXP, but it keeps forgetting it!!! I have formatted (and reinstalled) several times, but it have never remembered anything...It only remembers the last savegame, when I want to load a game, but not when saving...
Same for me.

As far as having tons of saves, I clean out all the ones I don't want to keep when ever it starts getting real bad.
Old August 12, 2002, 14:55   #12
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
If you want to save the game with the same name as already exists, then click on the existing filename. You can then edit the name to save as if you wish.
Old August 12, 2002, 14:59   #13
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
If you want to save the game with the same name as already exists, then click on the existing filename. You can then edit the name to save as if you wish.
Well...that's the problem I mentioned in my first post. It'll take even longer to find the savegame, when you have tons of then (That shouldn't be deleted...I'm not the only one using this computer)...
Old August 12, 2002, 15:14   #14
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
Well...that's the problem I mentioned in my first post. It'll take even longer to find the savegame, when you have tons of then (That shouldn't be deleted...I'm not the only one using this computer)...
Are you saying that you have multiple PEOPLE playing Civ3 on that computer? If so, I would recommend making a separate directory for each player, nested within the "saves" directory.

Unfortunately, the game will probably try to find a game to load within the "saves" directory, so you will have to still manually find your correct game file. At least you will only be looking through the stack of YOUR games!
Old August 12, 2002, 15:55   #15
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 01:59
I usually only save when I quit my session or if I've been playing for over 1 hour. So, I use the same save game name regardless. I always shorten it to "China" or "America". Civ III always highlights the last save game I saved to when I start it up the next time.
Old August 12, 2002, 16:35   #16
Moonsinger
Warlord

Local Time: 23:59
I don't usually save my games; when I do save my games, I try to give them meaningful name because I often start another game to test out certain theory before I come back to finish what I was planning to do.
Old August 12, 2002, 16:44   #17
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

he wants to have a save game like "Aztec Game" that when he hits ctrl+s.

perhaps they should call that "save as" and add a "save" that overrites the file (ctrl+shift+s)
Old August 12, 2002, 17:02   #18
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
he wants to have a save game like "Aztec Game" that when he hits ctrl+s.

perhaps they should call that "save as" and add a "save" that overrites the file (ctrl+shift+s)
Exactly

That reminds me: I'm also pretty tired of having to say "Yes" each time it asks me if it should overwrite the save game...
Old August 13, 2002, 02:46   #19
mwaf
Warlord

The savegame-interfaces is not perfect, I too, am annoyed by having to confirm the overwrite every time I save the game.

One thing I've been thinking about myself is moving the old/finished savegames to another directory. I once overwrote a old game (that I wanted to keep) with my current game because of my "yeah, yeah, overwrite already!"-feeling.

I haven't had civ3 for a long time yet, and I so far I've named the savegames by the number of the game. I'm currently in my fifth game, aptly named "femma" (Finnish slang for 'five' which derives from the Swedish word for 5: 'fem')

BTW, I still have tons of Civ-1 savegames left, I used to save them with the default name resulting in *LOTS* of savegames.

edit: removed the duplicate word word
added: 'femma' is actually more commonly used to describe the 5 (finnish) mark coin (or the 5€ bill nowdays) rather than the number five

Last edited by mwaf; August 13, 2002 at 02:55.
Old August 13, 2002, 03:50   #20
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 15:59
If you're imaginative with saving, this might be a problem. I call everything "Dave".
Old August 13, 2002, 04:01   #21
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 06:59
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
I would like the save to default to the last (sub-)folder I saved to, instead of to the main saves folder. Or at least to have that as an option.
Old August 13, 2002, 04:01   #22
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

I have 4 savegame files:
Robert1
Robert2
Robert3
Robert4

(my name is Robert, in case you wondered )
I start with 1, then save to 1 a couple of times, then CLICK on 2 (not much work) etc. etc. etc.

hardly any work.
btw, you don't have to save everyturn if you just turn on autosave
Old August 13, 2002, 04:02   #23
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

oh, and in case you wondered, after Robert4 I go back to Robert1. Thought I should explain that
Old August 13, 2002, 11:38   #24
Moonsinger
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Ribannah
I would like the save to default to the last (sub-)folder I saved to, instead of to the main saves folder. Or at least to have that as an option.
That's a good idea. I would like that very much.
Old August 17, 2002, 18:27   #25
Adm.Naismith
King

In Alpha Centauri (SMAC) the save function was smarter, IMHO: if you liked to change a part of the name, it keep it as default for next save, changing only the untouched part of the name (e.g. the years sequence), or overwriting over and over the same name if you removed every variable parts.

I mean, in a Civ III example I should be able to take the first save game suggested as "Cleopatra of the Egyptians, 3900BC" and, changing it only once and forever for that game as "Cleopatra, 3900BC" the game will keep the name I used for every save, only changing the year.

I wonder why Firaxis killed this smart feature: I remember an old post when someone from Firaxis asked for suggestion about the save function, but I can't remember anyone suggesting to cut it so much!

Another thing I don't like is the bad practice to put the default \saves directory under Windows \Programs Files with .exe, libraries and so on.

Given the most (Windows) used standard to put data files into Documents and settings\username\ I wonder why Firaxis doesn't put this same standard into Civ III Save function.
It would help us to backup Civ save files with other relevant files, and in Win 2000/XP would help us to keep different user savefiles each at different place, an automatic way to have what Jaybe suggested some posts before mine.
Old August 17, 2002, 19:44   #26
Carver
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
That reminds me: I'm also pretty tired of having to say "Yes" each time it asks me if it should overwrite the save game...
Oh yes. I'm planning to lead The Million Civers March on Hunt Valley to protest this.
Old August 18, 2002, 03:24   #27
Sea41571
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:59
try labeling your next save as "NEWEST GAME" or something like that but the problem is in a few months you'll have 50 "NEWEST SAVE " GAMES
here's another idea, try to complete a game b4 u start another then u can delete the old one.
Old August 18, 2002, 05:02   #28
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Adm.Naismith
Given the most (Windows) used standard to put data files into Documents and settings\username\ I wonder why Firaxis doesn't put this same standard into Civ III Save function.
I defently DON'T like that idea. How it is now, it's 10X better, since you then know where the save games are...

They have this in GTA3, and I was about to lose my savegame, last time I formated my HD...I just can't see the point of this, I didn't know they had this bad idea included, until someone, the day reinstalled WinXP again, said he'd lost the savegame to the game, because of this...But lucky me, I had made a backup copy of the whole /username dir, instead of just the favorites as I usually do...
Old August 18, 2002, 05:06   #29
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sea41571
here's another idea, try to complete a game b4 u start another then u can delete the old one.
I can't just delete the other users save game files, you know!

I have always just 2 files (the other file is the "just-in-case" file, I have been a couple of times, in the situation were I couldn't load the savegame file)...And those two files, always has the same name, so you're missing the point of the thread!!!
Old August 25, 2002, 16:11   #30
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
I defently DON'T like that idea. How it is now, it's 10X better, since you then know where the save games are...
Of course you can like it or not, but sure as hell is a standard (in Windows NT, 2000, XP) way to separate users environments each others.
I understood that was one of your trouble, to find and separate your savegames from others users of your PC...

As I said before, the side effects of this standard is you can easily save every relevant data files, without browsing all your HD searching for dedicated \DATA or \SAVE or \DOCUMENT every programmer team chose to use