Old August 12, 2002, 17:40   #1
Caligastia
Emperor

Local Time: 01:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
NYC Mayor wants to ban smoking in all bars and restaurants.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,60008,00.html

I kind of like the idea, but Im worried that it may have an impact on the economy as smokers may be less likely to go out if they cant smoke. I think there should at least be a few places they can go and smoke, even if most places are non-smoking.
Old August 12, 2002, 17:48   #2
connorkimbro
Emperor

Local Time: 23:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
This is the way it's done in the entire state of california.

Most places (bars or whatever) will have an outside patio.

As a smoker, it was never really inconvenient or anything. So, even as a smoker i'd say, sure go for it.

-theonion.com
Old August 12, 2002, 17:50   #3
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 05:59
Hey, speak for yourself. It gets ***$ cold here in December through March. I sure wouldn't like to have to head out to the patio for a cig....
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old August 12, 2002, 17:50   #4
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:59
Shouldn't this be left to the owners.
If they don't want you to smoke, ok fine , no prob.
But I don't think this should be impossed on them and their clients IMHO

P.S.: I do smoke myself
Old August 12, 2002, 17:50   #5
Jac de Molay
Prince

...then again, I guess it's more incentive to quit
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old August 12, 2002, 17:53   #6
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 02:59
I say ban smoking from bars and restaurants, absolutely... if some onewants to screw up their health in private... FINE! (which is completely undisputed, smoking does severely damage health) But there is one thing they DO NOT have a right to do and that is screw with the health of those who do not smoke. I find it to be a disgusting and filthy habit that people can light up a cigarette next to those who do not smoke, possibly damaging their health. I am all for this proposal. And am all against smoking in public areas.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old August 12, 2002, 17:55   #7
connorkimbro
Emperor

Quote:
Hey, speak for yourself. It gets ***$ cold here in December through March. I sure wouldn't like to have to head out to the patio for a cig....
It get's pretty ****ing cold in northern california too. it sucked being outside, but it was the rule, can't smoke inside. anywhere, in any public building, almost without exception. (we COULD smoke inside the local tobacco shop for some reason)

Anyway, i WAS speaking for myself, in saying, for me, it wasn't that big of a deal.

-theonion.com
Old August 12, 2002, 17:58   #8
Jac de Molay
Prince

Quote:
Anyway, i WAS speaking for myself, in saying, for me, it wasn't that big of a deal.
I know. I was just pondering the logistics. Anyway, Michigan is probably the unhealthiest state in the union, and such a measure would probably provoke mass pandemonium among the blue collar, six-pack and Marlboro, clientele.

Personally, I would support it as further incentive.
Old August 12, 2002, 18:03   #9
- Groucho -
Diplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 00:59
Damn - one of the pleasures of moving to NYC from the west coast was leaving the freakin' puritans behind and being able to smoke while drinking again.

As for the "they'll stay at home" comment. Not likely in New York. Apartments here are so small you have to go out just to live your life. Or move to the 'burbs where a guy can happily smoke on his patio in peace.
Old August 12, 2002, 18:09   #10
Giancarlo
King

Echinda, who gives you a right to mess up the health of another person who does not smoke? For goodness sakes...
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old August 12, 2002, 18:14   #11
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 21:59
Quote:
Originally posted by connorkimbro

It get's pretty ****ing cold in northern california too.
Seriously, like 72º today.

Very few people I know smoke anymore, except for the 14 year olds at the coffee shop trying to look older.
Old August 12, 2002, 18:15   #12
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

I don't go to any restaurants where they let people smoke with out sealing them up in their own little room or something.

There's not much that I hate more then cigarettes.

Do It Ourselves
Old August 12, 2002, 18:17   #13
Hueij
Emperor

Local Time: 07:59
I take it that a lot of bars have to close for lack of customers
Old August 12, 2002, 18:19   #14
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

The problem with leaving it up to owners is they tend to side with the smokers rather than the vast majority of us who don't smoke.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old August 12, 2002, 18:19   #15
- Groucho -
Diplomacy
Prince

If I want to smoke and someone else wants to offer me a bar to go to where I can smoke, where people know smoking will happen and adults under the age of 21 aren't even allowed in, why shouldn't we just be left the hell alone?

For goodness sakes...
Old August 12, 2002, 18:27   #16
Giancarlo
King

Echinda, that sounds fine to me... but you do not have a right to go into a bar that has kids under the age of 21 and does not encourage smoking, and light up a cigarette. I was not inferring anything else.
Old August 12, 2002, 18:28   #17
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Echinda
why shouldn't we just be left the hell alone?
Because you people won't stop forcing your smoke on us non-smokers.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old August 12, 2002, 18:35   #18
- Groucho -
Diplomacy
Prince

I'm all for keeping kids free from second hand smoke. And smoking in a restaurant is just rude to your fellow patrons (no food, even lunch counter fare, tastes better with cigarette smoke).

But I want to be able to sit somewhere for a leisurely chat with my friends, drink a rye and soda and have a cigarette now and again. Bloomberg doesn't want to let people, who are perfectly willing, the freedom to provide a venue for that activity. Which sucks.
Old August 12, 2002, 18:37   #19
- Groucho -
Diplomacy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
Because you people won't stop forcing your smoke on us non-smokers.
You can't believe that. If you did, you would have to ban communism, because communists won't stop trying to force their beliefs on non-communists. And believe me, there is plenty of evidence that communism is bad for your health.
Old August 12, 2002, 18:38   #20
Giancarlo
King

Ech: Alright... alright... maybe I was being too defensive... but I still side with Bloomberg.
Old August 12, 2002, 18:45   #21
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Local Time: 06:59
There´s been talk of banning smoking in pubs and restaurants in Sweden as well. I think it´s a great idea

I occasionally smoke tobacco but I HATE smoky pubs, it gets in my clothes, my hair, my eyes start to itch, etc.

But I don´t think a total banning is a good idea, but rather only allowing smoking in special 'smoke pubs' where the guests and the staff has made an active choice visiting/working.
Old August 12, 2002, 18:48   #22
connorkimbro
Emperor

Quote:
Seriously, like 72º today.
I didn't say it was ALWAYS cold, but it gets cold enough that you don't really enjoy being outside. All year round too, i was miserably cold most nights, even during june/july, etc. Especially on the coast.

-theonion.com
Old August 12, 2002, 18:48   #23
chequita guevara
Emperor

I can't stand going to clubs anymore because of the smoke. You leave smelling like an ashtray, and it gets in your lungs and you're hackin up black gunk for days afterwards. I'm totally with the Republican mayor on this one.
Old August 12, 2002, 18:54   #24
- Groucho -
Diplomacy
Prince

So vote with your feet. Don't go to clubs that allow smoking. Be vocal about it to the club owner. Make your feelings known.

But don't have an outright ban. That's weak.
Old August 12, 2002, 18:55   #25
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
I'm totally with the Republican mayor on this one.

I thought I would never hear this one.....
Old August 12, 2002, 19:00   #26
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:59
Same thing happened in some Maine cities, the main issue was the health of the workers at the places since they were getting massive amounts of second hand smoke.
Old August 12, 2002, 19:01   #27
Tuberski

When I lived in Utah they banned smoking in all places except bars and private clubs( bars that serve hard liquor). So a lot of places like bowling alleys set up smoking rooms and didn't allow people in during their leagues.

Now, they don't even bother with the pretense of being a private club, smokers just smoke in their little rooms.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old August 12, 2002, 19:04   #28
Tuberski

Banning it in bars is silly to me. Drinking isn't exactly a healthy activity either. But if I was smoking and somebody asked me to put it out, I'd do it. Unless I was there first.

Then they can take their non-smoking a$$ elsewhere.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old August 12, 2002, 19:08   #29
Giancarlo
King

Tuber, drinking in moderation is not a bad thing to do... so what if you want to drink maybe one glass... should you have to breath in smoke that youdon't want to?

Quote:
Then they can take their non-smoking a$$ elsewhere.
Excuse me? At least we know about the dangers of smoking.
Old August 12, 2002, 19:13   #30
Carver
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Boshko
Same thing happened in some Maine cities, the main issue was the health of the workers at the places since they were getting massive amounts of second hand smoke.
Exactly, the government clearly has a role in making sure workplaces are safe. As it is, working in a bar that allows smoking is amoung the least safe jobs. As a non-smoker I don't mind too much chillin at a smoking bar for a few hours (although that smell you get is nasty) but for people who work there 20-50 hours a week the danger is insane.