Old August 12, 2002, 19:16   #31
Tuberski

Local Time: 00:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
Tuber, drinking in moderation is not a bad thing to do... so what if you want to drink maybe one glass... should you have to breath in smoke that youdon't want to?

Excuse me? At least we know about the dangers of smoking.

So do I, however, if I am smoking and you come to where I am at, then tell me to put out the cigarette.

Piss off!

You moved from where you were safe from my smoke to where my smoking could, in theory, hurt you. That would be your problem not mine.

However, If you were at the bar and I went up to you and lit up, you would have every right to ask me to put it out or go somewhere else, and I would.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old August 12, 2002, 19:20   #32
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 02:59
Tuber: Why would I move over to you when you are smoking and ask you to put it out? I never suggested doing so.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old August 12, 2002, 19:30   #33
Tuberski

Fez: Some people actually will do that, those are the people that piss me off.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old August 12, 2002, 19:32   #34
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski
Fez: Some people actually will do that, those are the people that piss me off.
Well I certainly wouldn't.... I am trying to teach myself to respect others who have different habits.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old August 12, 2002, 19:52   #35
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 21:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by alva848

But I don't think this should be impossed on them and their clients IMHO

P.S.: I do smoke myself
Why should a deadly chemical be forced on those that like life?

Quit smoking. Whatever excuse you give its the nicotine doing your thinking. You do not want to die that way. Sure you may die some other way but you will age faster even if you do manage to avoid a heart attack or the lovely mercies of carcinoma.

My mother was the only smoker in the family and was the only one in the family that looked her age. That is till she died with four brain tumors, a possible liver tumor (no sense bothering to find out if the shadow was a tumor) and a nice tiny little spot on her lungs that was small cell lyphoma, a nasty little thing that metastisizes easily, hence the four brain tumors.

The sooner you quit the better you chances of long term survival will be.

The sooner you quit the less premature aging you will suffer.

The sooner you quit the sooner you will be sick less often.

If you think I am outspoken on this you should hear my brother. He would like to kill the tobacco executives that lied for decades. I figure life in prison would be more reasonable. After all my mother did know that it wasn't good for her. However once a person gets hooked they mostly let the addiction do the thinking for them.

If you just try to ignore this that is what is happening. The addiction is closing your mind to reality.
Old August 12, 2002, 19:59   #36
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Local Time: 06:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Fez

Well I certainly wouldn't.... I am trying to teach myself to respect others who have different habits.
Even communists?
Old August 12, 2002, 20:43   #37
joseph1944

Good for him.
I do not smoke

Last edited by ; August 12, 2002 at 20:50.

Old August 12, 2002, 20:51   #38
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 16:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Echinda
So vote with your feet. Don't go to clubs that allow smoking. Be vocal about it to the club owner. Make your feelings known.
Thats the point - what club doesn't allow smoking?
If you want to go out, it means that you have to accept ending up smelling like an ashtray as well as accepting all the damage 2nd hand smoke does to you.
Old August 12, 2002, 20:52   #39
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamrat X

Even communists?
Well I lack pity for people who have bad habits like communism, drinking and smoking (all of which are hazardous to your health)... but yes even communists or at least I try.
Old August 12, 2002, 20:59   #40
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 01:59
A smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool.
Old August 12, 2002, 21:03   #41
joseph1944

Quote:
Originally posted by DarthVeda
A smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool.
I read this and started to laugh. You are OK.

Old August 12, 2002, 21:04   #42
- Groucho -
Diplomacy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Thats the point - what club doesn't allow smoking?
If you want to go out, it means that you have to accept ending up smelling like an ashtray as well as accepting all the damage 2nd hand smoke does to you.
True. But though literally dozens of people have said this very thing to me, the first, and only IIRC, non-smoking club in Vancouver (a pretty militantly anti-smoking city) went under in less than a year. The owner lost his shirt. Why? Nobody went there. The place was dead. He tried booking the best DJs and bands. No dice. He had a killer sound system. No dice. I went there twice with a couple of anti-smoking zealots I know and even they threw in the towel after the second attempt. A local paper interviewed him the day he locked the doors and he said, to paraphrase, "Let's face it. The people who go to clubs aren't exactly the best crowd to tell they can't do something."
Old August 12, 2002, 21:19   #43
Loif
Settler

Local Time: 22:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I heard about that place in Vancouver. Where I live it is smoke free in all public places. I used to smoke but gave it up years ago. Now I can't stand the smell of if. If my kids ever dare to light up I'll have a fit.
Old August 12, 2002, 21:25   #44
Peacemaker
Warlord

I don't see the point of all the arguing about allowng smoking in public. Either put a total ban on the sale and posession of tobacco or shut up about the subject. I don't soke so it wouldn't bother me either way. Smoking doesn't bother me nor as I worried about the health risk, Everyone is going to die anyway.

There is no law stopping a club from putting in its own non smoking policy and nothing forcing non-smokers to goto smoking clubs. The way I see it this is just another stupid law for PR only.
Old August 12, 2002, 21:37   #45
joseph1944

Quote:
Originally posted by Peacemaker
nor as I worried about the health risk, Everyone is going to die anyway.
But dying at 95 is better than 35 w/lung cancer.

Old August 12, 2002, 21:50   #46
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Peacemaker Smoking doesn't bother me nor as I worried about the health risk, Everyone is going to die anyway.
And for an existentialist like me... smoking is the stupidest thing one can do. Lets say you start smoking at 16, and have lung cancer (highly probable) or some other kind of cancer by 30, you die because of that. That is like throwing your life away.

As someone said it would be better to live and enjoy life to a good old age, rather then fill yourself with disgusting chemicals and die early.
Old August 12, 2002, 21:56   #47
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

There is nothing I hate more than having smoke in my face but forcing a business owner to ban smoking in THEIR business is bullshit. If you dont like to eat in a smoky restaurant, then don't go there. If you dont like to go to a smoke filled club then dont go there. You guys just go along with it because you dont like smoking. Wait till the goverment decides that YOUR particular habit should be discouraged and keeps you from going there. Then you will be on this board *****ing and whinning about the evil politicians.

*Waits for the check from Philip Morris*
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old August 12, 2002, 22:07   #48
Giancarlo
King

Sprayber: The government is trying to prevent its citizens from basically committing suicide.
Old August 12, 2002, 22:10   #49
Peacemaker
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by joseph1944

But dying at 95 is better than 35 w/lung cancer.
Well I'll be 35 in a couple of months don't have lung cancer since I dont smoke.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez

And for an existentialist like me... smoking is the stupidest thing one can do. Lets say you start smoking at 16, and have lung cancer (highly probable) or some other kind of cancer by 30, you die because of that. That is like throwing your life away.

As someone said it would be better to live and enjoy life to a good old age, rather then fill yourself with disgusting chemicals and die early.
Well then I guess you should put your efforts into a total ban on the sale and posession of tobacco. If you want to argue about anything then argue this rather than a ban on public smoking.
Old August 12, 2002, 23:25   #50
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Am I the only one that finds it odd that the mayor's proposed ban is going to stop smoking in NYCs cigar bars?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old August 12, 2002, 23:26   #51
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
Sprayber: The government is trying to prevent its citizens from basically committing suicide.

Then they should keep stupid people from driving. Ban fast food, Ban cars that go over 30 MPH, Ban microwave ovens, Ban people from going out at night, Ban the Jerry Springer Show, and Ban women from wearing thight fitting clothing.

Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old August 13, 2002, 03:11   #52
MosesPresley
Prince

Delaware is currently flirting with a similar law. It has passed our Senate and is waiting for the Gov. Minner's signature, unless she chickens out at the last minute. The law is causing a lot of controversy.
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
—Orson Welles as Harry Lime
Old August 13, 2002, 03:47   #53
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 13:59
How about this idea: require bars and restaurants to pay for a licence if they want to have a smoking area.
Old August 13, 2002, 04:07   #54
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tingkai
How about this idea: require bars and restaurants to pay for a licence if they want to have a smoking area.

Interesting idea Tingkai.
Old August 13, 2002, 05:10   #55
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

I read somewhere that banning smoking in restaurants increases their business. Seems counterintuitive, but it's not. There are way more non-smokers than smokers, and making the restaurants more pleasing to them will make them eat out more.
Old August 13, 2002, 05:14   #56
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

A smoking (or non-smoking) section is completely useless unless it is hermetically sealed from the rest of the place and uses an independent HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) system.
Old August 13, 2002, 06:52   #57
Solly
Emperor

Local Time: 06:59
Great idea.

The main problem with pubs and bars is that they are all completely open; there can be someone smoking 10 metres from you and if the air currents in the pub are right, it can be as strong as if you are stood a metre away.

Effective ventilation and well segregated smoking areas (put them in their own room so all the smoke is trapped in there) will reduce the problem vastly.
Old August 13, 2002, 11:42   #58
- Groucho -
Diplomacy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
I read somewhere that banning smoking in restaurants increases their business. Seems counterintuitive, but it's not. There are way more non-smokers than smokers, and making the restaurants more pleasing to them will make them eat out more.
That may be true for restaurants, but what about nightclubs? As I mentioned, the guy in Vancouver seemed to do everything right and lost his shirt with a non-smoking night club.

And if it is true, you would expect that market forces would dictate that a larger and larger percentage of restaurants would go non-smoking. So there is no need for regulation.
Old August 13, 2002, 11:59   #59
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

I guess I am the only one that thinks it strange that smoking in cigar bars is going to be banned.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old August 13, 2002, 12:01   #60
drake
King

Local Time: 01:59
Oh you smoke echy? Think it's about time you took my quote down then, you aren't a perfect specimen after all

Whats amusing is places that have designated smoking and non smoking sections and they are only divided by a partition....its ridiculous.