Old August 21, 2002, 05:13   #31
Zakharov VII
Warlord

Local Time: 22:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Sounds like a good time was had by all

I took tons of losses in the couple of years between the Fundy change (and the fall of the monolith position, held for nearly 10 years with 1-2 losses and zillions of gains) and the Takedown. Those units were pouring down with little I could do but repel at terrible losses (Elite 5 attack vs. 3 defense iffy...we had 3*1.625 (Commando with CC)*1.25*2 = just over 12, vs 5*1.5*1.25*1.25 = nearly 12...luckily Miriam was running around with lots of old un-Fusioned stuff). I'm just glad the sea sunk before Miriam brought out the cavalry (flying horses, I guess)...I put a tidy some of cash into that - killing off formers and spending about 115 ECs each hurrying 4 in a row (one was killed off already!), along with buying PSA (not really necessary at the time, we already bought Fusion) for 250 so she would sell AEE for 125. For a grand total of about 800, though we'd have wanted the techs sooner or later.

It was so exciting, I think I sunk about 5 Elite Gatlingers !

I'm also relieved that I wasn't able to sink the last bit, from the sound of it we need the pass to go invade Miriam !!

EDIT: I was confused about how the % are compiled, fixed now

Z
Old August 21, 2002, 11:53   #32
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 01:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Unaccustomed as I am to defending bases with only armored probes against nasty attacks, I was wondering whether armored formers were any better as defenders. Not that we have a vast supply of them, but since the AI does make regular formers, we could theoretically steal them for our terraforming use and armor the hell out of our 4 discretionary formers for defenders, if it were worthwhile. In particular, if there are multiple formers defending a base and the current former-defender is killed in an attack, do the rest of them die in sympathy (as extra probe-defenders would)? IIRC (which is not always), armored formers do not all die in the field in comparable situations, so they probably would not in a base either, but not really being sure about this, I wondered if you'all knew.
Old August 21, 2002, 14:31   #33
Zakharov VII
Warlord

I recall the same kinds of situations with Formers. They're dealt collateral damage in the field (which, interestingly enough, probes are NOT dealt! I had about 10 units on the monolith, 3 of them probes, and one military unit was killed off - colateral damage to 6 units, probes allat 0% injured), haven't tried in bases. I think we've already armored the hell out of our Formers , but its something to keep in mind - when desperate, drive 2 best-armor Formers into the threatened base! Should hold us at least 1 attack with minimal loss (just 4-6 rows of minerals or so).

Z
Old August 24, 2002, 15:29   #34
Zakharov VII
Warlord

Anyone heard from Fromage??

Z
Old August 25, 2002, 20:20   #35
Zakharov VII
Warlord

Hmm...

I thought you might be amused at my attempt at a solo no-probes. I chose the Gaians fairly randomly, with Standard size, medium land/erosion, and I misclicked and chose Rare native life.

There's no fungus nearby for mindworm hunting, and I think I may have an even *worse* start than our succession game?

Should I just resign and try again ??

Z
Attached Files:
File Type: zip gaianprobealert.zip (29.3 KB, 0 views)
Old August 29, 2002, 04:27   #36
Fromage
Warlord

Local Time: 06:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Sorry that I didn't notice you. I lost my internet connection for 7 days (It took 3 visits from phone company guys to fix it).
Old August 29, 2002, 11:39   #37
Zakharov VII
Warlord

No problem, glad all is well now .

Things like that are almost never fixed by one visit ...

EDIT: Just a reminder for ToE placement, ME is at MI and Supercollider is at ZVIIC. Not sure which would be the better place at this point...

Z