Old August 13, 2002, 12:57   #1
Joel Velasco
Settler

Local Time: 02:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Fixing Angels
In case you don't know, there is a bug that any probe rating above 3 will be considered a 0. With the inherent +2 probe, then another +2 when your free covert ops centers come online, you lose the primary advantage of this faction. So I am contemplating downgrading the inherent +2 probe to +1, and adding a bonus to compensate. The only question is what is a fair bonus that fits the ideas of the faction and is in the same vein of the probe rating that is being traded.

Some options:
+1 Econ (Data brokering is a profitable business)
Pros: Fits concept. Not limited to turtling with Free Market to gain +2 Econ
Cons: Econ is the single most beneficial social mod, so not balanced with -1 probe.

Immunity / Impunity Probe (Always at the leading edge in security systems)
Pros: Balanced (when applicable) with -1 probe and directly related
Cons: Limited at best use, while -1 probe constant.

There are other possibilities, but they just don't seem to meet my goal of faction ideology. Comments and suggestions welcomed.
Old August 13, 2002, 13:49   #2
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 23:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Angels are at least middle of the pack amongst the fourteen factions.

So even as is, they are a solid faction. That techsteal ability is huge if worked right. Knock their probes down one if you wish but I honestly don't think you need to give them anything else.
Old August 13, 2002, 19:40   #3
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 19:03
As a DA player I can say they are not at all weak even with the so called bug. I don't even consider it a bug, IMO the Believers immunity to mind control is a fanatic, not a hacker thing . Thats from an ideological rather than "game rules" perspective. Strictly IMO.

The DA's primary strength is starting with Planetary Networks which is one of the best techs in the game, bringing the best early game SE, the probe team, the VW and the Network Node.
Finally it is a pre-req to Ind.Auto which is possibly the most powerfull builder tech in the game and bringing the other best early game SE (for builders).

The planned effect gives DA an effective +2 Growth +1 Industry for the early game period, great for churning out pods.

A DA player can research Ind.Base, Ind.Econ and Ind.Auto just like that, giving them the 2 SE's they want (Free Market and Wealth) and lots of buildable infrastructure in just 3 techs.

This benefit is obviously stronger in slow tech games, if the University immediately researches Plan.Nets and shares it with everyone then there isn't much benefit. But that's not likey to happen considering that Plan.Net has a SP.

The other DA bonus, the Probe Team gives a scouting benefit and it can be used to pop-pods. Sure you'll lose the probe team to worms (or a probe action) sooner or later but it's still a nice early boost on par with the spartan starting rover.

And then there is the 25% lower probe action costs and the tech steal, neither of which I find particullary significant because the DA's are such a strong builder they wont really be relying on tech stealing, altough the better probes and cheaper actions is a nice extra boost.

The final bonus is the lack of any significant penalty, this gives the player full flexibility in choice of SE. It also means any strategy is valid, builder, hybrid, momentum - the one time I played DA momentum I was pleasently suprised, they start 1 tech closer to impact and already have probes, what more could a momentum player want... (if you reverse engineer the probeteam you don't even need mobility for rovers - not that I would advocate doing a thing like that )

So overall on a large map I would put DA firmly in the top of the pack, 4th equal after Univ, Caretaker, Ursuper. On a small map I would still rank them pretty high, in with the "Good" factions, probably still 4th equal - especially considering the potential playing momentum, they could prolly go toe-to-toe with any of the traditional momentum factions and come out on top.
Old August 14, 2002, 10:05   #4
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 08:03
+1 Efficency.. it owuld help them in the Middle-Late Game?
Old August 15, 2002, 07:25   #5
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 16:03
I hate the Data Angels, mostly because I use lots of probes as a Morgan player. And their weakness is nominal. For this reason they're second only to the Pirates on my Kill List.