Old August 13, 2002, 18:31   #1
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

Local Time: 06:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Coastal Millitary Forts/Defences
I think PTW should have a new worker function -
The Coastal Defence Fortification, which could be built anywhere along the coast and would be like the City coastal fortress except it would be an INFRASTRUCTURE like a fortress/road, it would bombard passing ships and defend units from sea bombardment that are fortified in its walls. It wouldn't give any advantages for land combat - maybe you cant have land and sea forts together.
Invaders would want to bombard the forts to destroy them.

It could need Saltpetre and Iron as requirements to build one.

Tactical USE: you could put two Coastal Defences either side of a harbour bay entrance, so any enemies entering would be bombarded twice. Would be useful for Multiplayer, to stop enemies spying on your cities with ships.. just put lots of Defences along all your coast. To defeat lots of defences, send in landing parties to pillage them (ideally explorers with defensive units protecting them).

I think they would be useful to have for places outside your culture boundaries, but here they only work if they have your unit entrenched in it(they would get defence bonuses as normal).
Coastal Defences could only attack if they in a friendly culture zone.

AIR DEFENCES: I've always thought some kind of mobile unit/ land fortification for air defence would be good, maybe they could be similar to my Coastal Defence Fort.

Perhaps seamines could also be done as a landscape infrastructure improvement, bombarding enemies entering their square once with a heavy hit rate (possibly sinking the ship).

AdmiralPJ - Loves those Roman Legionaries
Old August 13, 2002, 22:08   #2
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 01:03
It's a lot better than the nearly useless coastal defense improvements currently in the game.

I understand in the current system a fortress doesn't even bombard unless an enemy warship moves through at least two tiles next to it. Or something. It's lousy.
Old August 13, 2002, 23:15   #3
PMLF
Warlord

Local Time: 06:03
I like Admiral PJ's idea. But I think that buying such forts should cost a lot of time (at least 8 turns).
Old August 14, 2002, 12:34   #4
Caliban
Prince

Local Time: 08:03
These kinds of air/sea-defense installations could really be nice...
BUT they will render sea landing operations and air strikes (except with stealth planes) almost useless... so I wouldn't include them.
Old August 14, 2002, 19:44   #5
Bleyn
Warlord

Local Time: 23:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Caliban
These kinds of air/sea-defense installations could really be nice...
BUT they will render sea landing operations and air strikes (except with stealth planes) almost useless... so I wouldn't include them.
As long as the sea units with bombardment abilities had a chance of blowing up the forts if the player was willing to duke it out, coastal forts wouldn't make sea invasions too hard.

And same could be said of SAM sites/units. As long as fighters and bombers have a chance of taking them out, I don't think it would unbalance things too much.