Old August 14, 2002, 01:19   #1
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 16:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Scenario Preview: Appeasment and Agression
Here are some screenshots from my nearly complete WW2 era scenario 'Appeasement and Agression'. The Scenario covers Europe between 1936 and 1950 and will be optimised for PBEM play [which is actually easier then designing it to be played by a single player ]

I still have to do the following things: add events, fix bugs in tech tree, test the units stats and do some playtesting. I *hope* to have most of these done by the end of this weekend

Screenshot 1: The map. You should be able to guess the civs which I'm using
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	apease_map.gif
Views:	828
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	22174  
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old August 14, 2002, 01:24   #2
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Screenshot 2: German and Soviet forces in action in the Donets basin. The really nice looking infantry units were made by Winterfritz by shrinking units by Captain Nemo, Alex Mor and GukGuk
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	donets.gif
Views:	8854
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	22175  
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
Old August 14, 2002, 01:26   #3
Case
Emperor

Screenshot 3: British forces go on the offencive in the Libyan desert.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	desert.gif
Views:	804
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	22176  
Old August 14, 2002, 01:30   #4
Mr. Oobir
Warlord

Local Time: 01:04
I like the cow and the infantry units look great.
Old August 14, 2002, 03:40   #5
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:04

Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves, Gondor, Mordor, Easterlings, Neutrals, and Barbarians.
Old August 14, 2002, 04:22   #6
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 00:04
Very nice. I can't figure out how Czechoslovakia, Finland, Switzerland, etc. all are going to operate as one civ though. Ditto Poland, Spain, Turkey, etc. Which is the Barb civ?

BTW, I have something similar in the works, though it's the entire world. The working title is "Global War".
Old August 14, 2002, 04:26   #7
techumseh
Emperor

D.P.

Last edited by techumseh; August 17, 2002 at 22:37.
Old August 14, 2002, 06:18   #8
Case
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by St Leo

Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves, Gondor, Mordor, Easterlings, Neutrals, and Barbarians.
Er, not quite.

Quote:
Originally posted by Techumseh
Very nice. I can't figure out how Czechoslovakia, Finland, Switzerland, etc. all are going to operate as one civ though. Ditto Poland, Spain, Turkey, etc. Which is the Barb civ?
Czechoslovakia, Switzerland the Low countries and the Nordic Countries will be represented by the 'neutral democracies' civ. Spain, Portugal and Eastern Europe will likewise be represented by the 'Neutral Dictatorships' civ. Neither of these civs will be playable, and neither of them will have any units capable of movement, meaning that you can invade Czechoslovakia without having to worry about a Dutch Blitzkrieg.

Austria is set up as Italian because a) Mussilini claimed to be it's 'protector' b) it will either introduce tension between Italy and Germany or force them apart and c) it will slow the German march to the Black Sea.

Yugoslavia is going to be represented by the barbarians mainly because I didn't want the neutral dictatorships to have such a large piece of real estate, but also due to a certain person of Polish decent getting cranky when I sugested making Poland the barb nation
Old August 14, 2002, 06:23   #9
Pavlov
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 07:04
Does this mean that Sweden won't be neutral?

-Homer Simpson
Old August 14, 2002, 16:26   #10
klesh
King

Wow, this pretty much fills the space which I intended to fill with my WWII PBEM thats 95% done now. First I found out someone has already used the name I was intending, and now this. Case, we must be like twins or something because these kinda look simmilar. Mine starts in '39, and would you believe that I too chose to do a little infantry combining. I didnt shrink them any, but wow, friggin coincinence.

I have some things different though. Hopefully they can co-exist.
Attached Images:

Old August 14, 2002, 16:33   #11
klesh
King

PS: Is that Rodmistev's Guardsmen from Stalingrad I see as the multi-soviet troops?
Old August 14, 2002, 18:52   #12
Michael7586
Settler

The unit graphics look excellent! I really like the 'clusters' of infantry units - looks more realistic when used in combination with the singular armor units and such.

I'm also working on a new WW2 type scenario but it is meant for single play based on the whole world. I am tempted to ask permission to use some of your unit graphics!!!

Michael
Old August 15, 2002, 20:01   #13
Case
Emperor

FMK: Great minds think alike
Yes, the Red Army unit is a shrinked version of your Rodmistev's Guardsmen. I may shrink the yellow badge on their chests.

Michael: PM me your email and I'll sent them to you bear in mind that I've done almost nothing on the units - they were originally made by the authors listed above and were shrunk and arranged by Winterfritz. All I've done is select the units and fiddled around a bit with Fritz's fine work.
Old August 15, 2002, 21:04   #14
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 03:04
I love those infantry units!
Old August 16, 2002, 19:57   #15
Dayan
Settler

Local Time: 06:04
Case, this looks amazing! when is it going to be released?
Old August 16, 2002, 20:57   #16
Case
Emperor

Quote:
when is it going to be released?
When it's done, which will hopefully be sometime in the next month.

BTW, what's with the Aussie flag?
Old August 17, 2002, 09:51   #17
The ANZAC
King

Yeah I was going to ask the same thing

Case: the scenario looks good It probably won't drown out FMK's Lebenstraum/Untitled Just look at how many Israel scenarios are thriving at CivFanatics
Old August 17, 2002, 19:20   #18
BlackKnightWP
Settler

Keep up the good work, Case. It looks like an awesome scenerio.
Old August 18, 2002, 00:15   #19
Case
Emperor

I've been having a surprising degree of sucess with miniturising units with paint, and here are some more infantry units. The guys on the left are probably going to be used as marines and the guys on the right as Americans.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	soldiers.gif
Views:	634
Size:	3.0 KB
ID:	22453  
Old August 18, 2002, 15:53   #20
Man-at-arms
Settler

Local Time: 07:04
The new unit style is looking interesting quite better than the standard one-unit symbols we are used to have in Civ. It looks like the unit-style of the Napoleon-warfare packs from talonsoft. Did you get the idea from there?
Old August 19, 2002, 03:40   #21
winterfritz
Prince

AFAIK he got the idea from Bonaparte 2 like me. Whilst playtesting it I was inspired to create some similar units by shrinking down originals and cutting and pasting a bunch together. The results were so encouraging that a scenario grew out of it, Roma Eterna, which is almost finished now.

Perhaps I should start a preview thread too
Old August 19, 2002, 03:43   #22
Case
Emperor

Yep, that's correct
Old August 29, 2002, 01:09   #23
Case
Emperor

Progress Report
I'm getting rather close to having a playable version of this scenario done. All that's left to do is to finish off the events and fix a couple of minor bugs in the tech tree.

I've also settled on a good way to impliment American involvement. When Paris gets occupied Britain will recieve a tech called 'US Support'. This tech will give the British a certain amount of money each turn (which represents US loans and arms sales) and more importantly will act as the prerequisite for the tech 'US Build Up'. This second tech will begin the build up of American troops in Britain (duh) and will act as the prerequiste for the tech 'American Armour' which in turn will supply the British (and any surving French) with M-4s.

Just a question though: what would be some suitable wonders for France and Italy? At present France has The Maginot Line [=Great Wall] and French Government [=Statue of Liberty], but I can't think of anything which would be suitable for Italy.
Old August 29, 2002, 03:20   #24
techumseh
Emperor

What do they need? Happiness? Economic? Scientific?
Old August 29, 2002, 03:26   #25
Case
Emperor

I'm just looking for names of suitable wonders to go in Italy
Old August 29, 2002, 04:07   #26
techumseh
Emperor

Here are some ideas from Florence: http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/users...enceStuff.html

Also, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Roman Colosseum, Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's Basilica, or the Grand Canal or Piazza St. Marco in Venice.
Old August 29, 2002, 08:48   #27
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Or, for things more modern, you could maybe have something like "First Fascist Government" (not true I know, but *shrug*) and whatnot.
Old September 8, 2002, 06:16   #28
Pevonian
Civilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Chieftain

Vatican
What about the Vatican in Rome? It would be JS Bach's Cathedral or Oracle or something similar.

:0
Old September 8, 2002, 10:57   #29
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 23:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Spain and Turkey are both ripe for colonization. How will this scenario handle the founding of new cities? Also, why is Danzig a different civ than the rest of Poland?

By the way, "me-too" on the grouped infantry. They'd really look good in a WWI "storming the trenches" scenario.
Old September 8, 2002, 19:25   #30
Case
Emperor

Quote:
Spain and Turkey are both ripe for colonization. How will this scenario handle the founding of new cities?
By starting with the maximum number of cities.

Quote:
Also, why is Danzig a different civ than the rest of Poland?
Danzig was under some kind of wierd league of nations rule. As such, I made it a member of the democractic neutrals so that Britain and France are bound to protect it. There's a RR around the city so that the Germans can move stuff too and from East Prussia.