Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 01:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

Damn you! I want to get out of this.

What kind of Mercan are you?

One that has heard all this before from the same people over and over.

Official American response.

Blah blah blah blah.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old August 14, 2002, 07:39   #93
red_jon
NationStates
King

Local Time: 06:04
Quote:

Well. maybe Canada or Mexico would be an ideal base of operations for Osama... NOT.
Umm, Canadians (like yourself) and Mexicans don't sympathise with Osama - many Irish people sympathise with the IRA.
Old August 14, 2002, 07:40   #94
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 07:04
Quote:

Well. maybe Canada or Mexico would be an ideal base of operations for Osama... NOT.
Canada would be a fine base for Al-queda if was left to the canadians to stop them- but luckily for the americans they wouldn't dare rely on them
Old August 14, 2002, 07:40   #95
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 08:04
Quote:
yes, but this is just once more for any new people on OT
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old August 14, 2002, 07:40   #96
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 01:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Deathwalker
Except for the odd missle that misses it's target

Blah blah blah sorry, blah blah blah.

God Bless America
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old August 14, 2002, 07:42   #97
TheStinger
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemmy
Quote:
yes, but this is just once more for any new people on OT
Im new its great
Old August 14, 2002, 07:45   #98
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:04
Quote:
Originally posted by TheStinger

Canada would be a fine base for Al-queda if was left to the canadians to stop them- but luckily for the americans they wouldn't dare rely on them
Hah! Leave it to the Canucks and this whole mess would be cleaned up in short order.

You go here kill them, you go there kill them... lets all get back to our nice orderly trade.

There are no others so pragmatic when it comes to a breaking of the peace. OK, maybe the Dutch are as ruthless, but only just.

jk
Old August 14, 2002, 07:46   #99
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 22:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by red_jon

And I thought the act had passed, hence it being an act and not a bill...
Excuse me. I was thinking of the other crap Bush is trying for. The Patriot Act can not take away Constitutional rights. The Supreme Court won't allow that. This isn't Britain. We have a Constitution and the Bill of Rights cannot be overturned by a mere law.

The American Civil Liberties Union will protect us from any excesses of the Patriot Act. If its still a worthwhile organization anyway. Of course Republicans have hated the ACLU for decades but they haven't destroyed it anymore than then they will destroy civil liberties in the US.
Old August 14, 2002, 07:46   #100
Deathwalker
Prince

Quote:
Blah blah blah sorry, blah blah blah.
Well I suppose that killing civlians is better for America that kill it allies soldiers. Oh wait they did that as well

It's funny how in books America weapons always work perfectey. E.G. The Bear and the Dragon by Tom Clancy Yet in real life that's not quite true. Maybe Clancy should watch the news next time he writes a book
Old August 14, 2002, 07:50   #101
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:

Well I suppose that killing civlians is better for America that kill it allies soldiers. Oh wait they did that as well

It's funny how in books America weapons always work perfectey. E.G. The Bear and the Dragon by Tom Clancy Yet in real life that's not quite true. Maybe Clancy should watch the news next time he writes a book
F*k off. Like two RN ships never ran into each other. Get a life and don't expect others to be so perfect for your amusement.
Old August 14, 2002, 07:50   #102
MattHiggs
King

CBeast
Old August 14, 2002, 07:51   #103
Ethelred
King

Quote:
Lets see. Who'd I miss... Yes, this one.

I'm quite sane sir. And I'm telling you that if GB had given the government of the Rebublic of Ireland a choice between being occupied or throttling the life out of the IRA, bombs probably never would have gone off in London.
I doubt that. The IRA was in London allready. Only some of the IRA was in the Republic. What would have happened is that the IRA would have gotten a lot of new recruits and might even have become popular with a lot of Irish-Americans that hated the IRA for all the killing it caused.
Old August 14, 2002, 07:52   #104
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MattHiggs
CBeast
Missed it! Haha.
Old August 14, 2002, 07:53   #105
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ethelred

I doubt that. The IRA was in London allready. Only some of the IRA was in the Republic. What would have happened is that the IRA would have gotten a lot of new recruits and might even have become popular with a lot of Irish-Americans that hated the IRA for all the killing it caused.
Well that means your it! Have fun.
Old August 14, 2002, 07:53   #106
TheStinger
King

Quote:

F*k off. Like two RN ships never ran into each other. Get a life and don't expect others to be so perfect for your amusement.
To be fair our ships hit well charted rocks not each other
Old August 14, 2002, 07:54   #107
Ethelred
King

Quote:
Except for the odd missle that misses it's target
Accidents aren't murder.
Old August 14, 2002, 07:56   #108
Solly
Emperor

A missile is never fired by accident, jsut like a gun isn't.

You can't fire a gun at a wall, miss, and accidentally hit someone in the brain and not get done for murder.
Old August 14, 2002, 07:57   #109
TheStinger
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Boddington's

You can't fire a gun at a wall, miss, and accidentally hit someone in the brain and not get done for murder.
Yes you can
Old August 14, 2002, 07:58   #110
Ethelred
King

Quote:

Tom writes both sides of the conflict. Makes fictional wars easier that way. Real ones tend to be a bit messy.
Old August 14, 2002, 07:58   #111
Solly
Emperor

No, you can't.
Old August 14, 2002, 08:01   #112
TheStinger
King

Quote:
No, you can't.
If you fire a gun at a wall and were not aware of anybody else about and you couldn't reasonably be expexted to know anyone was there then you could not be convicted of murder if a ricochet killed someone
Old August 14, 2002, 08:02   #113
Ethelred
King

Quote:

Well that means your it! Have fun.
I am not IT. I am Ethelred.

Irish-American also.

No I don't like the IRA. Then again I don't live in Boston.
Old August 14, 2002, 08:05   #114
Ethelred
King

Quote:

This is a war not some idiot firing off a gun to celebrate New Years Day(yes idiots do that). The only way you can claim a misfired missile in a war constitutes murder is if you also claim that it would have murder if it hit the right target.
Old August 14, 2002, 08:08   #115
Ethelred
King

Quote:
Originally posted by TheStinger

If you fire a gun at a wall and were not aware of anybody else about and you couldn't reasonably be expexted to know anyone was there then you could not be convicted of murder if a ricochet killed someone
Actually in the US you could be convicted of involuntary manslaughter. However that is not the same as firing a missle that is intended to kill an enemy in warfare.
Old August 14, 2002, 08:10   #116
Roland
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:

Excuse me. I was thinking of the other crap Bush is trying for. The Patriot Act can not take away Constitutional rights. The Supreme Court won't allow that. This isn't Britain. We have a Constitution and the Bill of Rights cannot be overturned by a mere law.
You aren't up do date. For now an english court has struck down at least one anti-terror-measure in the UK. While the US supreme court has been practically useless on constitutional rights for years now...
Old August 14, 2002, 08:13   #117
TheStinger
King

Quote:

Actually in the US you could be convicted of involuntary manslaughter. However that is not the same as firing a missle that is intended to kill an enemy in warfare.
Fair point, i was talking about murder which is only defined by common law in england. ALthough we do have manslaughter although the sentence varies greatly
depending on the circumstances.
Old August 14, 2002, 08:14   #118
MOBIUS
Emperor

Local Time: 16:04
Quote:
I thought I said it clearly. That red_jon is having fantasies in his claims that Britain doesn't do those things.
Britain doesn't do those things (at least actively try not to!), what you're talking about happened 57 years ago. What you did say clearly is that we did resort to the same tactics the US did. I'm not proud of what the UK did on that fateful day - you don't seem to care!

Quote:
The US is not murdering civilians in Afganistan and neither is Britain. The US and Britain have intentionly killed civilians in the past. Neither are doing that now.
I'm sure the UK and the US didn't intentionally kill civilians in Dresden - what are you saying!!?

Just because the UK and US dropped over 3,500 tons of High Explosive and Incendiary bombs on a city with many wooden building doesn't mean they were targeting the 600,000 civilians, wounded and allied POW's - no, they were aiming for the buildings. That those civilians were there was merely an unhappy coincidence...

I don't dispute the fact that US doesn't intentionally kill civilians - what I do dispute is whether they overly care if they happen to kill civilians...

There is far too much anecdotal evidence that the US really doesn't care if civilians happen to die when they're attacking military targets throughout WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Nicaragua, Laos, Cambodia, Panama, Iraq, Serbia and Afghanistan just to name a few off the top of my head...

THAT is why the US doesn't want to be held accountable to international War Crimes Courts - they know they kill thousands of civilians needlessly, even if they don't specifically intend to!

In that regard, we are not like the US and don't intend to be - why is also probably a good reason as to why we've never had 4 passenger planes hijacked and rammed into several of our national landmarks...

Get with the program - nobody will like US in the rest of the World while it continues it's arrogant 'we are the greatest BS'...
Old August 14, 2002, 08:16   #119
Ethelred
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Roland
While the US supreme court has been practically useless on constitutional rights for years now...
Rubbish. The Supreme Court knocks down laws every single year.
Old August 14, 2002, 08:18   #120
Deathwalker
Prince

Quote:
Well at least there wasn't a house in between the ships disk head

Quote:
Tom writes both sides of the conflict. Makes fictional wars easier that way. Real ones tend to be a bit messy.
Sorry your right in books can't really cover every aspect of a war they would have to thousands of pages long