Old August 14, 2002, 16:41   #181
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 02:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
"Glad to see not all Americans think violence is the only answer."

Only answer? Shoot, the IRA was a total disaster. Britain could have claimed a right to occupy staging areas in Ireland. Then the IRA just moves on to another area, giving Britain the claim to a right to occupy the other area. Before you know it, Britain has reoccupied all of Ireland.

Anyway, in hindsight, it seems that the "deal" was in place ever since the UK agreed to give back Hong Kong. This is a slightly more troublesome issue, so that's why the referendum fig leaf has to be there, I guess.

"I really hope Scotland declares independence soon. When they do, NI will become their problem again. As an Englishman I hate my country having to be in the Province."

Interesting take.

You never know. Americans might be funding protestant terrorists in NI before too long. As AH is so fond of pointing out, there have been more protestant Irish emigres to the States than catholic.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old August 15, 2002, 07:46   #182
Solly
Emperor

Local Time: 07:05
I agree with Red_jon, Americans don't even realise that they are being arrogant and nationalist. They think those are two positive attributes anyway.
Old August 15, 2002, 07:56   #183
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 22:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
We learned that from our founders, the Brits. Now your just jelous.
Old August 15, 2002, 08:00   #184
Solly
Emperor

Jealous of a banana republic?
Old August 15, 2002, 08:12   #185
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 08:05
God bless America.
Old August 15, 2002, 08:20   #186
Ethelred
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Boddington's
Jealous of a banana republic?
We have companies that OWN Banana Republics. Well the United Fruit Co. once owned Guatemala anyway.

I have a nice photographers vest from Banana Republic. Does that count? (Its a clothing store assuming its in business).
Old August 15, 2002, 12:47   #187
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ethelred

We have companies that OWN Banana Republics. Well the United Fruit Co. once owned Guatemala anyway.
Having a company that ran India is a far better acheivement than having a company that ran Guatemala. America must do better.
Old August 15, 2002, 12:50   #188
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Could someone finally explain me the relevance of United Fruit?
Old August 15, 2002, 12:51   #189
Dauphin
Deity

They liberated the banana from the shackles of slavery.
Old August 15, 2002, 13:04   #190
Ethelred
King

The United Fruit Co. was a large monoply (it was broken up I think) that owned a VERY large percentage of the bananna market. They controlled at least some of the governments of the nations involved. When Guatemala tried to regain control of some of their resources UF Co. asked Eisenhower for a small little favor. Thus started decades of civil strife and the death of at least tens of thousands of Guatamalens.

This summary is pretty much to the point. For more click on the link(I only glanced at it).

http://www.english.upenn.edu/~afilre...ted-fruit.html

A site specializing in the United Fruit Co.

http://www.unitedfruit.org/index.html

The main thing I remember about the company was the Chikitta Banana adds on TV.
Old August 15, 2002, 13:07   #191
Ethelred
King

I have always thought of the British East India Co. as more of a quasi Crown Governor than an actual indepent company. I suppose I could be very wrong on that since I haven't looked in to it. United Fruit was on the stock market.
Old August 15, 2002, 13:20   #192
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Local Time: 01:05
God Bless America.

Seems to me that you foreigners just want to prevent the US from doing what you did.

Fearful of the day when the sun never sets on the U.S.?

Besides, everyone should be proud of his/her own country.

USA USA USA USA
Old August 15, 2002, 13:48   #193
Kepler
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
Glad to see not all Americans think violence is the only answer.
But it is invariably the most entertaining answer.
Old August 15, 2002, 18:57   #194
Dauphin
Deity

In vino veritas
America is a the greatest nation presently on Earth. I only hope your descendants are more gracious in realising that you have been surpassed than the present generation of displaced Europeans.
Old August 15, 2002, 20:21   #195
Ethelred
King

I would guess that Americans would still consider the US the greatest country on Earth as long as we were suprassed rather than went the dumper. We didn't like it when it looked like Japan was passing us and it was because we weren't at our best.

Its not the nations present power that makes Americans think it such a great country. I suppose its at least partly self-brainwashing. Which is OK if we don't get complacent like we did in much of the 60's. Detroit is still paying for that error.
Old August 16, 2002, 03:10   #196
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:05
Che Why are you so concerned with how I express myself? And why are you trying to tell me how to do so? This isn't the first time you've said something of the sort, I think. Spink launched a thread with some outrageous claims, I answered in an outrageous fashion. Are you POed you missed the fun?

Harrison, read the thread. You are FOS. I never said or argued half of what you say I did.

Spink, red_john, TheStinger, Gary, MOBIUS, and others... love ya. Twas fun. Let's do it again some time.
Old August 16, 2002, 03:52   #197
Tolls
King

Local Time: 06:05
Ethelred:
"United Fruit was on the stock market."

So was the East India Company...most of our colonial efforts came from attempts to secure trade advantages for various companies, and to keep the locals pacified while we took advantage of them...which is why it looks like the companies were simply an arm of the colonial office, whereas it was really the other way around.
Old August 16, 2002, 04:46   #198
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boddington's
I agree with Red_jon, Americans don't even realise that they are being arrogant and nationalist. They think those are two positive attributes anyway.

Blah blah blah blah.

I do give you credit for starting a thread about a non event and turning it into a discussion that ranges from United Fruit Company to British atrocities in Ireland.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old August 16, 2002, 04:58   #199
Tolls
King

Local Time: 06:05
"...British atrocities in Ireland."

Nice one...
Old August 16, 2002, 05:00   #200
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:05
or lack thereof...
Old August 16, 2002, 05:08   #201
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tolls
"...British atrocities in Ireland."

Nice one...
What, you dont like people taking a small grain of truth and expanding upon it until it is exaggerated beyond recognition? I was just getting into the sprit of the thread.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old August 19, 2002, 06:33   #202
Solly
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither Spink launched a thread with some outrageous claims, I answered in an outrageous fashion.
The only outrageous claim I posted belonged to Bush.
Old August 19, 2002, 07:07   #203
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by MOBIUS

I'm sure the UK and the US didn't intentionally kill civilians in Dresden - what are you saying!!?

Just because the UK and US dropped over 3,500 tons of High Explosive and Incendiary bombs on a city with many wooden building doesn't mean they were targeting the 600,000 civilians, wounded and allied POW's - no, they were aiming for the buildings. That those civilians were there was merely an unhappy coincidence...

I don't dispute the fact that US doesn't intentionally kill civilians - what I do dispute is whether they overly care if they happen to kill civilians...

There is far too much anecdotal evidence that the US really doesn't care if civilians happen to die when they're attacking military targets throughout WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Nicaragua, Laos, Cambodia, Panama, Iraq, Serbia and Afghanistan just to name a few off the top of my head...

THAT is why the US doesn't want to be held accountable to international War Crimes Courts - they know they kill thousands of civilians needlessly, even if they don't specifically intend to!

In that regard, we are not like the US and don't intend to be - why is also probably a good reason as to why we've never had 4 passenger planes hijacked and rammed into several of our national landmarks...
Nicely said. I take 1/4 of my trolls against England back.