Old August 14, 2002, 13:20   #1
Michael7586
Settler

Local Time: 01:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
New Scenario
I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in a new WW2-type scenario I've created?

The basic idea is a whole-world type scenario with the five major powers of that time (Germany, Britain, Soviets, Americans and Japanese). The key difference here is that the map used is NOT a real-world based map but rather a custom created map that is merely 'inspired' by the actual world map (getting rid of extrenuous bits like S.America and Canada) with larger ocean space for some good naval action.

The scenario is designed for an early game focus on establishing trade routes (to speedup research and/or balance the budget) in addition to the usual bloodlust type combat objectives.

Nuclear weapons & pollution are disabled and gov-switching is prohibited. Otherwise anything goes - Germany is not forced to attack Russia (though it probably will) and US & Britain might not be allies depending upon gameplay.

I'm developing separate ".scn" files for each of the five major powers along with separate events files for each.

Is anybody interested in such a scenario? I'm in the play-testing/balancing stage right now. The scenario is designed for my own pleasure but I will post it if others might be interested.

My reason for making it was that I've played so many WW2 type scenarios, I was getting tired of the same old maps and challenges and wanted something different with the same type of weapons & techs.

Michael
Old August 14, 2002, 13:27   #2
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:05
Cool, a WW2 scenario from the Yank perspective.
Old August 14, 2002, 14:14   #3
Michael7586
Settler

Yes, that is exactly what I'm trying to create - a WW2 type scenario that is interesting & challenging from the perspective of each of the five major powers.

Indeed, the constrained ocean sizes on most world maps really suck when you can bomb Pearl Harbor using planes launched from either mainland USA or Japan itself.

To keep the flavor of WW2 I am setting up a big land border between Germany & Russia. Likewise, USA will be a big fat island (shaped like USA) all by itself (equal distant between Germany & Japan). Britain will have its usual island location near Germany, as well as an Australia-like continent in the far east as well as an India-like region south of Russia and a half dozen strategic ports scattered about the globe. The rest of the map will be populated by one Civ called the "Independent States".

Goal is world domination.

Michael
Old August 14, 2002, 15:30   #4
FürstMetternich
Settler

Local Time: 07:05
Hey sounds very interesting hope we will see it finished.
Old August 14, 2002, 18:44   #5
Michael7586
Settler

Should definitely be finished within the next couple of weeks as I'm in the "later stages" of putting this together. Just tweaking and balancing things right now so it won't be long.

Michael
Old August 20, 2002, 04:59   #6
Galvatron
Civilization II PBEMPtWDG Glory of War
Prince

Local Time: 00:05
I would like to express my support for this scen too as it sounds very promising. Our best wishes are with you young man to see it finished.

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.
Old August 20, 2002, 06:51   #7
Journeyman
Settler

Local Time: 16:05
This sounds very good. The WWII scenarios I have downloaded normally concentrate on one or a few nation. I like this world flavour concept.
Will you be making any big unit changes Michael?
Old August 20, 2002, 09:07   #8
Michael7586
Settler

Regarding the unit changes, yes I am using a completely re-written units.gif file. I am in the process of asking permission from many previous WW2 scenario designers to use some of their excellent graphics (Nemo & Alex mostly as well as some others).

Thanks,
Michael