Old August 15, 2002, 02:07   #1
GoodFella
Warlord

Local Time: 06:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Will there be many more industrial improvements?
It seems to me that there is a huge absence of industrial city imrovements (and wonders) in the game as is. I think we need much more. I know that a megabank will be included, but what about a Museam?

As for wonders, how about the Eifel Tower for those who love backstabbing and a Statue of Liberty for, I don't know what yet but just that we need it.
Old August 15, 2002, 14:02   #2
Caliban
Prince

Local Time: 08:07
Do you mean we need more improvements to be developped in the industrial age?
Agreed, but I can't think of any non-wonders...
There are already enough improvements to increase culture/science/money/shield production of your cities. You just don't need any more.
Old August 15, 2002, 15:37   #3
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 00:07
Re: Will there be many more industrial improvements?
Quote:
Originally posted by GoodFella
a Statue of Liberty for, I don't know what yet but just that we need it.
A while ago someone suggested a Statue of Liberty GW that would speed assimilation and/or make your captured workers change to normal citizens that work full speed. I thought that was one of the best ideas I've seen.
Old August 15, 2002, 16:57   #4
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

In my game, I have made the city improvement Radio Station, which comes with the tech...radio And I made GW Statue of Liberty (And a few other GW that I can't remember the name of ), though there's not much else they can do, that haven't been done yet, so I just gave them some culture points and some happy faces...

Oh yeah, now I remember. I made a theater, it's like the coloseum, except it gives 1 more culture point and is cheaper to build, though it requires Silk. And another great wonder is (Don't remember the name) a wonder that comes in ancient age, this wonder makes the city be able to get pass the size 12 limit

I haven't played any game with the new things yet, but I'm almost done with my current game, it'll be interesting to see if it actually works

Maybe I should make the Statue of Liberty to require the government Democracy

It would be nice to see some other possibilities in the editor, so all wonders/improvements are not the same...Firaxis, are you listening
Old August 15, 2002, 16:59   #5
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Re: Re: Will there be many more industrial improvements?
Quote:
Originally posted by Carver
A while ago someone suggested a Statue of Liberty GW that would speed assimilation and/or make your captured workers change to normal citizens that work full speed. I thought that was one of the best ideas I've seen.
That would be great, to bad the current editor doesn't allow this (or is there some option I haven't seen yet...hope so, I like the idea )
Old August 15, 2002, 19:33   #6
Optimizer
Prince

Local Time: 07:07
I believe that the Eiffel Tower was skipped because it doesn't fit in Multiplayer games.
Old August 16, 2002, 06:23   #7
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Optimizer
I believe that the Eiffel Tower was skipped because it doesn't fit in Multiplayer games.
But their 1st priority was SP

Or they could simply just make it unavaliable in MP, or give it double culture points in MP...
Old August 16, 2002, 09:52   #8
Bleyn
Warlord

Local Time: 23:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'd still like to see an improvement that acts as a cultural multiplier in the same way that the Plants multiply industry and Educational improvements multiply research.

Would be a good function for a museum. And since museums are a late enough societial addition, ie. industrial age at earliest, I don't think they would be too imbalancing.
Old August 16, 2002, 09:57   #9
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Bleyn
I'd still like to see an improvement that acts as a cultural multiplier in the same way that the Plants multiply industry and Educational improvements multiply research.

Would be a good function for a museum. And since museums are a late enough societial addition, ie. industrial age at earliest, I don't think they would be too imbalancing.
I agree. I believe it should be avaliable from the late industrial age. If they could add, like +50% more culture per turn, it would be great
Old August 18, 2002, 10:41   #10
SABRA
Civilization II Democracy Game: Exodus
Warlord

They should increase the nuber of improvements , there is room for a fire-station , school , prison , special buildings for special units , stuff like that would be welcome .
Old August 18, 2002, 10:45   #11
Optimizer
Prince

I'm thinking of adding some pre-electric power plants, so that some cities can have a production bonus before they get factories.

A Water Mill (Invention) that needs a river.
A Gas Works (Chemistry) that needs Coal.
Old August 18, 2002, 16:10   #12
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
I'm thinking of adding some pre-electric power plants, so that some cities can have a production bonus before they get factories.

A Water Mill (Invention) that needs a river.
A Gas Works (Chemistry) that needs Coal.
I like the ideas, though with the current editor, they will be too powerfull, since you can't set what % of production it should add, it's always +50% or nothing...Would be nice to be able to set it to add +25% and such...
Old August 18, 2002, 18:36   #13
Bleyn
Warlord

Local Time: 23:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Actually, you can set the increase. Its just not very obvious that it can be done from the way they've set things up and implemented the Plant Improvements.

If you look in the Improvements section of the rules in the editor, one of the selections right in the upper center is Production. This essentially controls the increase factor that each of the Plants has.

Factory, Coal P., Hydro P., Solar P. and Manufacturing P. all have values of 2 and give an increase of 50%.

Nuclear P. and Iron Works have a value of 4, and if you look closely at the Pedia, you will find that Nuclear gives the same 100% bonus as the Iron Works, it just has that nasty side-effect of occasionally exploding.

So, if you were to set a Production value of 1 to an improvement, it should give a 25% increase in production. And a 3 should give you a 75% bonus. The truly scary part of it is that Production has a 0-100 value range. Someone could make an improvement with a 2500% production increase bonus.

Actually, looking at it, the number ranges on the various settable values is huge. Most of them go up to at least 100, and some as high as 1000. Much larger than anything being used in the game itself.

The only thing missing that could make some mod. improvements even cooler is a general selection for obseleting improvements. Its there for wonders, but only wonders. No way to set something like Water Mill to be obselete at Steam Power, which would seem reasonable to me.
Old August 19, 2002, 07:50   #14
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Bleyn
Actually, you can set the increase. Its just not very obvious that it can be done from the way they've set things up and implemented the Plant Improvements.

If you look in the Improvements section of the rules in the editor, one of the selections right in the upper center is Production. This essentially controls the increase factor that each of the Plants has.

Factory, Coal P., Hydro P., Solar P. and Manufacturing P. all have values of 2 and give an increase of 50%.

Nuclear P. and Iron Works have a value of 4, and if you look closely at the Pedia, you will find that Nuclear gives the same 100% bonus as the Iron Works, it just has that nasty side-effect of occasionally exploding.

So, if you were to set a Production value of 1 to an improvement, it should give a 25% increase in production. And a 3 should give you a 75% bonus. The truly scary part of it is that Production has a 0-100 value range. Someone could make an improvement with a 2500% production increase bonus.
Thx for the info

Though it would be nice, if you could set the specific % for all kinds: sci/com/pro. Would be great to be able to make an improvement that gives a +10% in Science and +30% in Commercial and +60 in Production (Ok, I don't know what improvement could give these numbers, but it was just an example )
Old August 20, 2002, 19:04   #15
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

They could bring back superhighways, available with motorized transportation, and giving +1 trade to every square with a road in it. Would be a really good improvement.
Old August 20, 2002, 19:10   #16
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Superhighways are a good idea. Same with the concepts of the Statue of Liberty to speed up assimilation.
Old August 21, 2002, 02:36   #17
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Quote:
That is a bad excuse.

The new iPod nano: nano
Old August 21, 2002, 08:48   #18
SABRA
Civilization II Democracy Game: Exodus
Warlord

Firaxis should not include at least 16 new great wonders there should also be room for at least 10 small ones .

Then there is room for improvements like a firehouse , a prison , a school , dockyard > for veteran units and to fix naval units that have some damage ; also to fix naval units from your allies , certain units would require special improvements , ETC .

There is room for at least 10 new buildings !

A highway would indeed be intresting .

there could even be room for regular roads , railroads and highways , therefore the graphics of the railroads need some adjustment .

One intresting idea would be to make civ specific wonders and buildings .

Certain culture groups could have certain buildings that other dont have .