Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Ecthelion
UR, how dare you?

Of course Israel would have to disappear for that too

I don't suppose you're even remotely aware of how repugnant it is for a German to be seen calling for the "disappearence" of Israel?

Oh Yeah! You're the guy who thinks that there are more Nazis in the US than in Germany. How ironic!

Last edited by Dr Strangelove; August 15, 2002 at 23:17.
Old August 15, 2002, 23:11   #63
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 23:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What's the difference if a German or American or Brit does it, in this day and age?
Old August 15, 2002, 23:15   #64
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kramerman

No he wouldn't.
His new thing would be "the evil empire of Japan is threatening Islam. We must fight Jihad to protect our livlihood..."

EDIT:His new thing would be "the evil empire of [insert prosperous nation here] is threatening Islam. We must fight Jihad to protect our livlihood..."

[
No, I think it would be more likely that he would turn on Europe for persecuting the Bosnians and Kosovars. Without US clout to protect these areas the Serbs would avenge themselves on these Muslim populations. Likely the Serbs would receive some assistance from the Russians. The EU would stand by wringing their hands after quickly removing their peacekeepers. OBL would quickly realise that Europe is an easier target than Russia.
Old August 15, 2002, 23:18   #65
JCG
Prince

Local Time: 01:07
An earlier but less bloody World War III.
Old August 16, 2002, 00:57   #66
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 00:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
one word:

Utopia
err...right... and how did we rationalize this???
Old August 16, 2002, 00:58   #67
Kramerman
Prince

Im too tired to read through Lincoln's post. Perhaps someone could paraphrase it or give me the gist of it so I could place my opinion.
Old August 16, 2002, 06:57   #68
red_jon
NationStates
King

Local Time: 06:07
What I seriously see would happen is the EU moving slightly to the right and increasing military funding, as there are no US troops. The EU (and possibly Russia) would intergrate further to defend themselves.

Faded Glory - what's pathetic is that you believe that. Why (and how) would the US be a superpower forever? Nations are always either superceded, conquered or they collapse (or a combination of the three).
Old August 16, 2002, 06:59   #69
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 16:07

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old August 16, 2002, 10:02   #70
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 01:07
WTF are you partying about, Dingo Boy?
You act like the Aussies have so little in common with the States.
You're all just a bunch of malcontents, so keep your balloons to yourself.

Old August 16, 2002, 10:24   #71
Lincoln
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Kramerman
Im too tired to read through Lincoln's post. Perhaps someone could paraphrase it or give me the gist of it so I could place my opinion.
The literal city of Babylon mentioned in the Bible was a region of mixed people that were very prosperous and powerful. They were also quite into trade and making money and getting rich. The city was eventually destroyed. Some think that the Babylon mentioned in the book of Revelation (which makes spirituall applications to history) is America because of the many similarities. A few things that come to mind are:

1. The nations stand way off "for fear of her torment". Radiation?

2. The world's merchants mourn when they lose their wealth that was invested in America.

3. The phony Christianity in America that pretends that arrogance and pride is a virtue, and humility is to be shunned.

4. The idea that America is industructable (kind of like the Titanic).

5. America "sits on many waters" (both literally and in the sense that peoples are "waters" in some biblical passages).

6. America is a "whore", that is she has sold her spiritual heritage for money like Judas did.

Anyway, that should give you some idea. I personally believe tha America is a large part of "Babylon" but it is not the whole picture. "Babylon" is also religious confusion and the pride of man generally.
Old August 16, 2002, 10:25   #72
Schee
Warlord

Local Time: 07:07
Quote:
Originally posted by faded glory
United States will always be a big dog. It might not stay top dog, but it will always be a big dog. Look at it even before USA was even powerful. early 1900's teddy Roosevelt built a fleet and sailed it around the globe. The Europeans were shocked at how the modern and flexible the fleet was and raced to catch up. (especially Britian and germany). So we will always have influence.

America will always be a Big dog.

Funny

Oh you were serious
Sorry...
Old August 16, 2002, 15:56   #73
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Lincoln

The literal city of Babylon mentioned in the Bible was a region of mixed people that were very prosperous and powerful. They were also quite into trade and making money and getting rich. The city was eventually destroyed. Some think that the Babylon mentioned in the book of Revelation (which makes spirituall applications to history) is America because of the many similarities. A few things that come to mind are:

1. The nations stand way off "for fear of her torment". Radiation?

2. The world's merchants mourn when they lose their wealth that was invested in America.

3. The phony Christianity in America that pretends that arrogance and pride is a virtue, and humility is to be shunned.

4. The idea that America is industructable (kind of like the Titanic).

5. America "sits on many waters" (both literally and in the sense that peoples are "waters" in some biblical passages).

6. America is a "whore", that is she has sold her spiritual heritage for money like Judas did.

Anyway, that should give you some idea. I personally believe tha America is a large part of "Babylon" but it is not the whole picture. "Babylon" is also religious confusion and the pride of man generally.
Thank you, that was quite helpful. With school starting monday I wished to practice as lttle brain activity as possible till then.

Ill just say I put as much faith into any prophecy as I do into the Chicago Cubs winning a World Series. But it is an interesing idea, and the parallels definately make you go 'hmmm, thats interesting'. But there are also things that are just opinions and falacies. Still cool though.

Kman
Old August 16, 2002, 16:02   #74
Pavlov
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

All the painful memories about American "football" would slowly vanish.

-Homer Simpson
Old August 18, 2002, 17:13   #75
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Quote:

No he wouldn't.
His new thing would be "the evil empire of Japan is threatening Islam. We must fight Jihad to protect our livlihood..."

The Qu'ran says that Rome comes right after Jerusalem

Oh, f*ck
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old August 18, 2002, 17:20   #76
el freako
Prince

Schee,

Faded Glory is correct that the US will always be an important power - if only by dint of it's large size and population.
Old August 18, 2002, 17:57   #77
Schee
Warlord

Oh the Roman Empire was one of the most populated and large empire by its time, then it was defeated and Charlemagne conquered an Empire too, that was divided between his sons, later Spain and Portugal built their empires, and England and France had many colonies around the world, etc...

No nation can always remain an important power.
Old August 18, 2002, 18:18   #78
el freako
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Schee
Oh the Roman Empire was one of the most populated and large empire by its time, then it was defeated and Charlemagne conquered an Empire too, that was divided between his sons, later Spain and Portugal built their empires, and England and France had many colonies around the world, etc...

No nation can always remain an important power.

Well not always I agree, after all the Earth is unlikely to remain the main crucible of power for the human race - especially after the death of the sun.

Maybe I should say that for the foreseeable future (by which I mean the next few centuries) the US will remain a major power.

Rome did fall, but most of the invaders wanted to become roman - indeed a large portion of the empire survived in the form of Byzantium.
But Rome's case is very unusual - most empires get taken over and usually end up changing their invaders more than they are changed by them (China is a good example of this).

Charlemagne's empire did not outlast his death (much like Alexander's over a milennium before him) - as such you cannot really compare it with somewhere like the US.

I'm not sure what your point is about the european colonizing nations - but the colonies where never culturally part of the home nation so again the comparison is not really applicable
Old August 18, 2002, 18:37   #79
Schee
Warlord

I'm not trying to compare the great powers, but what people said about them. Inhabitants of great powers always think they will remain for a very long time. It happens sometimes.

And btw, I was above all laughing at this :
Quote:
1900's teddy Roosevelt built a fleet and sailed it around the globe. The Europeans were shocked at how the modern and flexible the fleet was and raced to catch up. (especially Britian and germany).
Old August 18, 2002, 18:51   #80
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Well, ol Faded likes big white ships, even though they were old armored cruisers and Britain and France had Dreadnaughts.