Old August 15, 2002, 10:12   #1
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 08:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Please Firaxis, could we have several types of leaders in PTW?
Sorry, if this has posted before - but would it be possible to include different types of leaders? At least as editor options?

For example, we could have special "cultural leaders" (great artists as names) who can cause (perhaps only once - to make sure they aren´t too strong) "city flipping" of an enemy city.

Or "research leaders" (great scientists) who can rush the research of a new tech instead of a wonder.

I can imagine also other options, like "economy leaders", who boost your income for a certain time, or "security leaders", who reduce corruption significantly in a city far away from your palace/forbidden palace.
Old August 15, 2002, 11:22   #2
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I do like the idea of other kinds of leaders, but I think the culture leader might be a bit too strong...Maybe if we make the culture leader, be able to give a bonus of culture points in a city (and some surroundding cities...this includedes (if possible) enemy cities...enemy cities gets your culture, thereby make the city have some culture, when you take over the city...)

Just a thought...
Old August 15, 2002, 11:33   #3
malphigian
Settler

Local Time: 06:08
Unless you figure out a new way for leaders to arrive, this feature would only make warmongering more effective (in fact, probably the only viable strategy).
Old August 15, 2002, 12:05   #4
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 00:08
They could be acquired in a number of non military ways: tech research; a city reaching a certain cultural point level; a city reaching a certain science or gold level.
Old August 15, 2002, 12:28   #5
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 02:08
Firaxis has already finished PtW, and no word on this, so I don't think we'll be seeing this.
Old August 15, 2002, 13:48   #6
Caliban
Prince

Nevertheless these are brilliant ideas!
Maybe we'll see them in some future addon. I would buy it...
Old August 15, 2002, 15:44   #7
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 00:08
The best thing would to be able to get leaders through means other than combat. Maybe the first civ to 50,000 culture points gets a leader, the first civ to circumnavigate the globe gets a GL, the first civ to build an airplane gets a leader... something like that.
Old August 15, 2002, 18:53   #8
statusperfect
King

Carver> BRILLIANT IDEAS!!!
Old August 15, 2002, 20:06   #9
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 01:08
I have been asked for many months for MILITARY LEADERS who can add a combat bonus to units in the stack it is on.

The weird, ironic thing now is you can get a Great LEader only in COMBAT - but they are best used to build CULTURAL Wonders; armies are not very effective.

Napoleon would have been both a cultural and military leader.

Bismarck. ideally would have been a political leader.

Yes, different types of leaders - AND DIFFERENT WAYS TO CREATE THEM - is very much needed.
Old August 15, 2002, 20:08   #10
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 01:08
Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
Firaxis has already finished PtW, and no word on this, so I don't think we'll be seeing this.
Hey. Firaxis. Go back to designing, take your time this time, and just get it right. Give us what we want.
Old August 15, 2002, 20:28   #11
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

several leader types is a good(if not awesome) idea

and yeah, Firaxis, listen what Coracle says.
Old August 15, 2002, 21:04   #12
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
Hey. Firaxis. Go back to designing, take your time this time, and just get it right. Give us what we want.
I concur. I wish they would spend more time and refine it more. I'd wait until December. Or February. Or longer if it's worth it. I can live without MP and the Ottomans for a while longer.

Seriously, all I think will be in PtW is the new civs, MP, new terrain sets, a couple more hotkeys (auto-bombard) and the custom graphics/scenarios/mods/etc. that we can download here ourselves. After the 1.29f editor, I've learned not to expect much from Firaxis with new updates as far as real gameplay changes.
Old August 16, 2002, 05:13   #13
statusperfect
King

Trip> Myself i can't wait for PTW. Original Civ 3 has started to bore me. It feels flawed. The same damn micromanagement/interface flaws and bugs. Over and over again. I put Civ 3 in it's box and wont touch it until PTW is out.
Old August 16, 2002, 12:58   #14
Jon Shafer

There's really not all that much they're changing in PtW. Consider it a patch with a few new terrain sets.
Old August 17, 2002, 20:22   #15
statusperfect
King

I think you're wrong.. a lot of polishing will be done in PTW... and to me playing an unpolished game is like listening to a crappy demo tape och eating a pizza without oregano...
Old August 17, 2002, 20:50   #16
Jon Shafer

I've seen each patch and all the differences. I know how long they've been working.

I think the editor will be nearly exactly the same, and we'll only get what I stated previously.

If I'm wrong, I'll be overjoyed, but I don't plan on it.
Old August 18, 2002, 05:55   #17
statusperfect
King

I plan on it
Old August 18, 2002, 06:55   #18
statusperfect
King

Quote:
Since most programming teams are perpetually behind in game development, it was surprising (and somewhat refreshing) to hear Morris talk about how far ahead of schedule the Play The World team is. They're taking the extra time not only to create an extra level of polish to the game...
PTW will kick ass!!!
Old August 18, 2002, 09:50   #19
SABRA
Civilization II Democracy Game: Exodus
Warlord

intresting , they should also think about different leaders for each civ , example ; France > Napoleon and Joanne .