Old August 15, 2002, 13:26   #1
Artifex
Prince

Local Time: 06:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Addicted
I have been away from my computer for 5 days and am starting to think of civ all the time. It is almost like a drug, I need to play now. Anyone else suffer from this?

Reading stories about the situation in the mideast vis a vis Iraq makes me want to fire up the computer and start some wars.
Old August 15, 2002, 13:30   #2
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 23:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I have been playing the game until 2AM for the past three nights. Now I really need a break and get some sleep.
Old August 15, 2002, 13:39   #3
Artifex
Prince

Its funny how the game works. I get burned out and take a few days off and then really crave it again. It's like coming down from a high from a drug. After I play for awhile and am winning a game I might get bored with it. Sometimes when the tedium kicks inn and the game is all but won.

Then I feel guilty that I stayed up all night or "wasted" all this time and promise to stop doing this wasteful behavior..then after a day or two I start wanting to kick ghandi's ass again and I can't help myself.

Then I crave it again, I like the start of games when you found new cities and expand your empire..it seems the game starts to get less fun maybe late industiral age...and I feel guilty I stayed up so long and was unable to pull myself away from the pc.

But I still crave it. If multi player is done right and playable..I dunno if I will be able to leave my computer.
Old August 15, 2002, 13:41   #4
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:08
Quote:
Originally posted by Artifex
Its funny how the game works. I get burned out and take a few days off and then really crave it again. It's like coming down from a high from a drug. After I play for awhile and am winning a game I might get bored with it. Sometimes when the tedium kicks inn and the game is all but won.

Then I feel guilty that I stayed up all night or "wasted" all this time and promise to stop doing this wasteful behavior..then after a day or two I start wanting to kick ghandi's ass again and I can't help myself.

Then I crave it again, I like the start of games when you found new cities and expand your empire..it seems the game starts to get less fun maybe late industiral age...and I get depressed that I maybe wasted time..

But I still crave it. If multi player is done right and playable..I dunno if I will be able to leave my computer.
Am'I looking into a mirror?!?
Old August 15, 2002, 13:54   #5
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 02:08
Lord Merciless,

That sounds like my week... I'm a zombie. I'm barely functioning. *yawn* I got up this morning, looked at my miserable self in the mirror, and decided I would go to bed when I get home tonight. But then I got to thinking about playing a new game as Japan (I'm overdosing on China... and I miss my 1 turn revolutions). How much you wanna bet the first thing I do when I get home is turn on the computer?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old August 15, 2002, 14:00   #6
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 01:08
i said ti a bunch of times. no matter how many flaws i see in civ3 i'm too addicted to not play. i know i'm getting PTW, not just in hopes of it being a better game, not just for MP, because i am hopelessly obsessed, and yes, addicted to this game.

(the civ3 cd is laced with LSD, each time you touch it you start tripping)
Old August 15, 2002, 14:19   #7
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Touch the CD? That would mean removing it from the drive!

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old August 15, 2002, 14:29   #8
reefer addict
Warlord

Local Time: 22:08
we need to start a civ3 treatment center.
ive had many a night where i played untill 3 or 4 am only to wake up 3 hours later, blurry eyes and all, and start up the game i was playing.
i have a fear that MP will be the end of my wifes patience with me.
im glad to hear that im not alone in my addiction
Old August 15, 2002, 15:04   #9
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 07:08
OK, my confession here... I am just the same poor addict like every one of you, guys. I often keep playing until 4am (several times, I went to bed, when my girlfriend was leaving in the morning, around 7am...). My only advantage is that I am running my own business from my home, so I can sleep longer, if needed...

Yes, I do have those guilt feelings, too. My will is usually strong enough to keep me from playing, if there is some serious job to be done. But as soon as there is nothing urgent and it's 8pm... I say to myself, well, you won't do much more today anyway, so why not trying that fine idea by (insert any well known name here) you read at Apolyton. Just two three hours... then it's 3am and I know I should be going to bed, because if I won't, I will sleep until 9:30am, barely starting anything productive before noon... I force myself to shut the comp down at 4am... and the next day, I simply feel the need to finish the game... to see how high I can push my nurtured civ...

Perhaps the worst thing I did was to install Civ3 with the no-CD crack. As long as it was at least necessary to open the tin box, pull the disk out of the sleeve and insert it into the drive (I use various CDs while working, so I can't keep the Civ3 CD in the drive all the time), I was sometimes able to waive it and better go to bed... but now, it is just click (Start Menu), click (Games), click (Civ III). Takes less than two seconds. That's a real killer...

Finishing a game of epic proportions, I almost feel sick of the game and think like "I am fed up for months... okay, not, for a month..." And yet it takes no more than a couple of days and I feel like playing again... it definitely is a drug...

Also, Civ3 is the best thing when I need to relieve my mind of sad or difficult thoughts like the flooding thing these days... It's perhaps the only occupation that is able to fully occupy my mind, making me forget about everything else.

Artifex, Arrian, alva, reffer addict... you are not alone, guys. I guess this forum is full of us...

Old August 15, 2002, 15:19   #10
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 23:08
I can't beat the JOMTS whenever I start playing the game. Fortunately, I won't get into any trouble if I show up at work before 10AM.
Old August 15, 2002, 15:20   #11
Jawa Jocky
Prince

I try to hide my addiction from my wife. I go to bed with her and when she falls alseep I go down stairs and play. The dark circles under my eyes and her now frequent bathroom breaks (8 months pregnant) have made this impossible to pull off lately.

But my true sign of addiction...

Have you every been playing on Friday or Saturday night while your drinking. I'm so addicted to civ I'll sit with an open beer and forget to drink it. I've hit rock bottom
Old August 15, 2002, 16:02   #12
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 00:08
Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack

Also, Civ3 is the best thing when I need to relieve my mind of sad or difficult thoughts like the flooding thing these days... It's perhaps the only occupation that is able to fully occupy my mind, making me forget about everything else.
That might be the best virtue of the Civ type games. I can't think of any other form of recreation (except 1 maybe) that totally occupies my mind. When I'm in the middle of a game girls, work, the news are all lost - and let me tell you, its good to take a break from that crap.
Old August 15, 2002, 16:07   #13
Zachriel
King

Guilty?! How can you feel guilty doing your duty to God and Country? Hurumph. Where's your patriotism? Where's your gumption? Don't you know there's a war on?

http://www.zachriel.com/

(In the old days, you would have all been SHOT.)
Old August 15, 2002, 16:27   #14
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
And then there's 'poly...
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old August 15, 2002, 16:43   #15
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
And then there's 'poly...
Poly is like methadone. Its a quick fix you get at work until you can go home to the real thing.
Old August 15, 2002, 17:50   #16
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jawa Jocky
I try to hide my addiction from my wife. I go to bed with her and when she falls alseep I go down stairs and play. The dark circles under my eyes and her now frequent bathroom breaks (8 months pregnant) have made this impossible to pull off lately.

But my true sign of addiction...

Have you every been playing on Friday or Saturday night while your drinking. I'm so addicted to civ I'll sit with an open beer and forget to drink it. I've hit rock bottom
But what do you pee in if you have no empties?

(keeping them sorted is tricky sometimes, nothing worse than seeing a bottle out of the corner of your eye, taking a swig and realizing you've just gulped your own urine)
Old August 15, 2002, 18:26   #17
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick

But what do you pee in if you have no empties?

(keeping them sorted is tricky sometimes, nothing worse than seeing a bottle out of the corner of your eye, taking a swig and realizing you've just gulped your own urine)
I thought the warm beers were just Corona
Old August 15, 2002, 18:43   #18
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

@ jimmytrick:

2 have you come to the other side???

about the 'Apo fix': you guys are lucky, I can't get to an 'internet' computer, all it let's me do is email and some very boring intranet stuff
Old August 15, 2002, 18:55   #19
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

I think I'll play some of the MP, enough to stomp eyesonfight or whatever he calls himself...then I'll quit this sorry game for good.
Old August 15, 2002, 19:11   #20
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
I think I'll play some of the MP, enough to stomp eyesonfight or whatever he calls himself...then I'll quit this sorry game for good.

Do you mean Aeson? or maybe asleepatthewheel?
Aeson would pretty much wipe the floor with anybody here judging by the games I have seen him win.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old August 15, 2002, 19:19   #21
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:08
no, he probably means eyesofnight (sp?). I think.

Edit. eyes is a civ2 mp'er
Old August 15, 2002, 19:34   #22
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

I have no gripe with Aeson but SP is not MP. I have done enough Mp to know that unless Aeson has MP experience he will have a bigger learning curve than he thinks.

Eyesofright is a big dawg Civ3 MP legend whining about combat randomness spoiling his cheap rush strategy. Sounds worth sharpening the blades for.
Old August 15, 2002, 21:11   #23
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Talk about addiction... I'm hosting a party and ran downstairs to see if 1337 finally posted his Roman game!!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old August 15, 2002, 21:20   #24
MosesPresley
Prince

Re: Addicted
Quote:
Originally posted by Artifex
I have been away from my computer for 5 days and am starting to think of civ all the time. It is almost like a drug, I need to play now. Anyone else suffer from this?

Reading stories about the situation in the mideast vis a vis Iraq makes me want to fire up the computer and start some wars.
If you really want help, you will need to start slowly. Try some games of tetris to wean yourself from Civ. After that move on to some board games and then eventually to simple card games. By that time you should have your addiction beat.
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
—Orson Welles as Harry Lime
Old August 15, 2002, 21:32   #25
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
Talk about addiction... I'm hosting a party and ran downstairs to see if 1337 finally posted his Roman game!!

I'd be suprised if he does.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old August 16, 2002, 00:44   #26
alva
Deity

Re: Re: Addicted
Quote:
Originally posted by MosesPresley

If you really want help, you will need to start slowly. Try some games of tetris to wean yourself from Civ. After that move on to some board games and then eventually to simple card games. By that time you should have your addiction beat.
would that be 'Civilazion' the boardgame??
Old August 16, 2002, 05:54   #27
Mattaba
NationStates
Chieftain

I also have the same problems as you guys, I have summer holiday now so it often happens to me that I dont come outside anymore for more than a week.
Old August 16, 2002, 13:26   #28
Cookie Monster
King

Just another voice chipping in to say I share the same addiction with you all.

"Hi my name is Haupt. Dietrich and I'm addicted to Civ3." "I take my days one day at a time." "Live and let live."

Arrian:

I can relate to waking in the morning promising myself that when I get home I'll go to bed. Never could keep promises to myself.
Old August 16, 2002, 13:50   #29
LaurenX2C
Settler

Very addictive. Only it keeps me from sleep sometimes. Once I didnt go to the mall with my friends