Old August 15, 2002, 17:25   #1
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 08:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Open letter to the president.
Dear Mr President.

What the hell are you doing to our country

We now have 2 city's, both defended by 2 phalanx.

Our capitol has baracks and a settler has mined a hill and irigated plains we're not using while the 2 grasslands we are using dont even have roads

We have 3 units exploring east and the south pole while there is still undiscovered land in the west.

As Minister of Expansion I must urge you to take the 2 settlers we have and build city's asap.

One coastal city in the north using the wheat and one in the west using the furs and fish.

We can take one phalanx from each city as defenders for our new city's.

I suggest our city's build nothing but settlers for now, we are allready behind in expansion and we cant risk being the first demogame that is actualy beaten by AI

I hope you do a better job on the next round and take the advice from your ministers, if not I'll have to considder handing in my resignation.

Yours truly

atawa

Expansion Minister.
Old August 15, 2002, 17:53   #2
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 01:09
don't hand in a resignation if the next round goes poorly, follow me when i call for impeachment.
Old August 16, 2002, 08:25   #3
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 00:09
ok, I'm not the greatest pers. this game ever had (and I also include) well, I think I the WOSRT PERS. EVER IN THIS GAME! Don't worry, with today, there only 16 days unitl I never run for anything again! (Well I be luckly if I can fight off impeachment!) And yes I DO suck that badly. And I do take your request and try to do them.
Old August 16, 2002, 08:39   #4
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Local Time: 17:09
don't be so hard on yourself
Old August 16, 2002, 08:39   #5
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

ANOTHER OPEN LETTER TO THE PRESIDENT

Dear Mr. President:

Don't give up! Don't back off! There is still time to make your presidency memorable and successful. (Well, memorable is in the bag...) The ppl complaining about our early game results are living in the past. What's important is that we do well in the future!

If you just follow the advice of your High Council, everything will be fine. (And if it's not, it is the Council who will be at fault.)

So hold your head high, do your best, and lead us forward to our glorious destiny!!

Faithfully yours,

-Jrabbit
Prime Foreign Minister

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old August 16, 2002, 13:10   #6
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Quote:
Originally posted by -Jrabbit
The ppl complaining about our early game results are living in the past.
Perhaps they were spoiled by the fantastic start by the first president of the previous democracy game...

Indeed, the month is only half over. Stop for polling more often, and the ministers will be appeased. Particularly if you heed their advice. Don't give up yet!

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old August 16, 2002, 15:16   #7
mrboo123
King

Re: Open letter to the president.
Quote:
Originally posted by atawa
.......................One coastal city in the north using the wheat and one in the west using the furs and fish.........................
I don't know where your taking about, but I think I have an idea, would be in any of these spots????
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	civ2pic.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	22303  
Old August 16, 2002, 20:07   #8
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

As the game is going at this this point, we are going to have to play a strategy of few, but strong cities. I won't say that *cannot* work, but it will be very difficult at diety level. I would not want to struggle through that myself. IMO, we can hold your own in that kind of game, but we are not likely to win.

Unless we want that challenge, immediate steps must be taken to improve the situation. We should have 4 or 5 cities at this point in order to form a core group of productive workers, to increase our tech discovery rate, and to produce more settlers.

---------------------
John - As a President in the previous game, please allow me to offer some hard-won suggestions. Play a session of about 8-10 turns at a time. Post all the appropriate screenshots and send the save file the the Cabinet Ministers quickly. Follow their advice very closely unless you have very specific reasons for not doing that (and explain why).

Being President is a position of coordination, not individual action. The Ministers represent the People, and you represent the Ministers in actual game play. The President is not intended to play the game on his own and just report the progress of the game to us interested onlookers. It is a participatory effort.

--------------------

To all - Having said that, I think impeachment is in order at this time. Another 2 weeks of this could have us so deep in a hole that we have no real chance of getting out. The future holds defensive actions only, not winning ones. My apologies to John, but I think we need a President who understands the role. I don't think that John can change his view of his role quickly enough to allow us to recover from this disadvantageous start. I do not know Darkness' Edge, but sometimes a clean slate helps turn things around. The posts I have seen suggest that he recognizes the problems, and that is sufficient for now. He *is* the Vice President and this is one of the reasons for having one.

If the President is impeached and the VP does not feel up to the job, new elections can be easily done with no further damage to the game in the meantime.

Hydey said it is a serious thing to "knife the President", and I agree. But it is time.

I recommend impeachment rather than a restart.

Aside from that, here is where cities should be located, IMO:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	demo2-1700bc.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	22322  
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old August 16, 2002, 22:37   #9
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

well, i was willing to give john one more chance after seeing how far he had played and from the screen shots, but after examining the save game, and noting the tax rate being wrong after i had specifically instructed him about the will of the people, i second the motion for impeachment raised by cavebear. sorry john
Old August 17, 2002, 00:31   #10
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Local Time: 17:09
I'm not swayed either way, at this point. I'm not convinced entirely that impeachment would be worth the cost, nor am I convinced that this game can be turned around otherwise.
Old August 17, 2002, 09:10   #11
mrboo123
King

Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower
well, i was willing to give john one more chance after seeing how far he had played and from the screen shots, but after examining the save game, and noting the tax rate being wrong after i had specifically instructed him about the will of the people, i second the motion for impeachment raised by cavebear. sorry john
Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear
.........Hydey said it is a serious thing to "knife the President", and I agree. But it is time.

I recommend impeachment rather than a restart.......
Your all forgiven.........

1st of all, I should of tould you this ealry that I never play deity, the hightest I ever played and beat is Prince. 2nd of all, that why I love this game, Demo game, the start may be a nightmare, but we can count on further Pres. to make it better. As so as the polls are done and the reports are in, then I will start again (if I don't get impeachment) 3rd of all, I'm not use to this kind of game, most of the time I build 2 settlers in the capatl city, then 2 paxins, and then temple and then WoW, all other city just 1 settler, but who cares how about I play the game?
Old August 17, 2002, 14:15   #12
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 08:09
Cavebear is right about the new citysites although I would place the northern city 1 tile west so we have an easy acces to the northern island.

We will need a city on that island as soon as we have trade to deliver caravans.
Old August 17, 2002, 15:16   #13
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

I see the point about access to the island. I placed the spot for the city to keep it within range of the corn but to also give us the possibility of getting an ocean resource (4 likely squares of unknown ocean). Either would be good enough, since mine was speculative.
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul