Old August 15, 2002, 19:51   #1
Andrew_Jay
Prince

Local Time: 02:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Additions needed to the editor for PtW?
I'm just starting this thread for everyone to just list the shortcomings of the editor as it is, and what little additions are needed. I think the editor right now is excellent, but there are a bunch of little things I keep finding.

Here are mine:

-Not really important, but: Set status of player's Palace (you know, how many things have been added to it)

-set properties of a city's citizens (whether they are of someone else's civ, or resisting). Be funny to make a post fall of France Second World War scenario and have a bunch of Germans living in Paris.

-Change diplomatic agreements properties. Though it might have the potential to mess everything up, some way of changing the value the AI applies to certain agreements would be nice.
Perhaps make map or communication trading something they'll only do with VERY close friends, or perhaps after really punishing a civ they become much more agreable with you, not furious for all time even though you could crush them in a second.

Anyway, that's all I have for now, anyone else know of any little oversights in the editor?
Old August 15, 2002, 20:02   #2
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 01:10
DIPLOMATIC AGREEMENTS!!!

That is the key one. Many of us were very disappointed that patch 1.29 did not allow us to do that with scenarios. You want to start a "Germany invades Soviets" WW II scenario in 1941. . . and a year later see Hitler and Stalin make peace and fight against Britain and the U.S?? This is very much needed for PTW.
Old August 15, 2002, 20:22   #3
Andrew_Jay
Prince

Local Time: 02:40
Another I just though of: More options for random maps in the editor. I hate it when I have an idea of the kind of map I want, but it's not so precise to be worth making my own map for. I often make (or try to) scenarios where the world can be random for all I care, but would like to be able to control the randomness just a little bit more.
Old August 16, 2002, 07:12   #4
NeoStar
Warlord

Local Time: 16:10
I want to control time and slow (or speed up) tech research for individual civs.

Really would let you customise the scns.
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old August 16, 2002, 08:19   #5
Deathwalker
Prince

Local Time: 06:10
I think the most important thing to add is a diploamcy editor and a script language
Old August 16, 2002, 09:13   #6
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 08:10
All additions to the editor are good additions. Statusperfect has spoken. Ugh.
Old August 16, 2002, 09:53   #7
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

The only thing I'm looking for in the editor, is more options for wonders/improvements. Would be nice to be able to e.g. set the % of tax, instead of it always being 50%. Would be nice to be able to make the Manhattan project a minor wonder. Would be nice to make a wonder, that gives X culture per turn to ALL cities on the continent (Or just for your own cities). Would be great, to be able to create a wonder, that speeds up worker rate, or make foregn workers, "your workers". I could go on forever...All I'm saying is "new" wonders (you create yourself) is not that new, since they can only use the special effects that has already been used...
Old August 16, 2002, 11:07   #8
Franses
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 07:10
The number of beakers required now seems to depend on a "difficulty" factor. Many things can now be changed in the editor, which is great but this difficulty factor is not. It would be nice if we get access to it.
Old August 16, 2002, 11:16   #9
narmox
Warlord

Also the starting year and the passage of time? Like 1 turn = 1 month, or 1 turn = 6 years, or whatever.
Old August 16, 2002, 20:21   #10
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by narmox
Also the starting year and the passage of time? Like 1 turn = 1 month, or 1 turn = 6 years, or whatever.
Yea. Civ 2 had that. It is very much needed. As I recall their WW II scenario, though flawed, had MONTHLY turns.
Old August 16, 2002, 20:33   #11
NeoStar
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Deathwalker
I think the most important thing to add is a diploamcy editor and a script language
Scripting brings to mind the Starcraft game editor. Now that was a great event editor - I hope Firaxis adds something like.

Couldn't make a realistic historical scn without it.
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old August 16, 2002, 21:27   #12
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 00:10
A scripting language that, if necessary, can be used in normal games (a la Test of Time). Actually, any understandable scripting language would be fine by me.
Old August 16, 2002, 21:51   #13
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 02:10
Guys, diplomacy options were on the wish-list... don't expect much.
Old August 17, 2002, 01:15   #14
NeoStar
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
Guys, diplomacy options were on the wish-list... don't expect much.
You know what? I never do
Old August 17, 2002, 01:30   #15
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Good.
That way if anything is changed, you can be pleasantly surprised.
Old August 17, 2002, 07:29   #16
Kramsib
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Location: PG's ID: 0000 Founder of PROGRESSIVE GAMES. Living in Leganés (Madrid), but born in SANTANDER
Here is my list.

- Diplomacy Editor.

Agreements, Reputation, Trade relations, Actitude, Embasies, spionage options (and prices), ...

- Units Editor.

Graphics, animations, status (damage), "made in #whatever# city", ...

- Terrain editor.

New terrain types (add button), submarine terrain types, terraforming options, terrain improvements editor (+ add button).

- Scenario editor.

Set year, month (day?), the dates of the events. Set objectives, make some civ the protagonist, ... The current editor has problems to associate civilizations with governments and civilization advances.

- Map editor.

Toroidal and flat maps. Natural and artificial Canals (Bosphorus, Suez, Pánama, ...)

an so on ....
Old August 18, 2002, 10:24   #17
SABRA
Civilization II Democracy Game: Exodus
Warlord

They should unlock some of the locked fields .
One thing to start with should be the range of airunits .

Terraforming should also be included .

Longer and more turns , more years .
Old August 18, 2002, 18:51   #18
Bleyn
Warlord

Local Time: 23:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Here's one I just thought of in connection with the thread speculating on the potential for more industrial improvements in PTW.

Return the ability to obselete improvements.

Sort of like how the barracks in Civ1/2 would become obselete several times during the game and require replacement. I know it was annoying for the barracks because you essentially got nothing new from the successive barracks. But if done right, I think it could be useful.
Old August 18, 2002, 19:06   #19
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
Good.
That way if anything is changed, you can be pleasantly surprised.
In otherwords, expect nothing from Firaxis. Then, if you do get something we need or want. . . we will be happy.

I have a lot higher standards than that.

Seems like we are suppposed to get ready for another big disappointment with PTW. I do not need superficial makeup on the same game. We've posted our wish list; let's have it.
Old August 18, 2002, 19:43   #20
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
I have a lot higher standards than that.
As do I. Those aren't my standards, those are my expectations.
Old August 18, 2002, 20:54   #21
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 07:10
Sssssssccccrrrrriiiiipppppttttttttiiiiiiiiinnnnnnn nggggggggggggg Lllllaaaaaannguuuuaaaaaaagggggge!!!!!!!

(hey, we're getting "scripting", its a start )
Old August 19, 2002, 03:05   #22
player1
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
Seems like we are suppposed to get ready for another big disappointment with PTW. I do not need superficial makeup on the same game. We've posted our wish list; let's have it.
Ahem,

XPs are supposed to be just that (a makeup).
Not a game from "wish list".
Old August 19, 2002, 03:08   #23
player1
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
Sssssssccccrrrrriiiiipppppttttttttiiiiiiiiinnnnnnn nggggggggggggg[/size] [size=8]Lllllaaaaaannguuuuaaaaaaagggggge!!!!!!!

(hey, we're getting "scripting", its a start )

Scripting RULES!
Old August 19, 2002, 03:13   #24
player1
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by NeoStar
Scripting brings to mind the Starcraft game editor. Now that was a great event editor - I hope Firaxis adds something like.

Couldn't make a realistic historical scn without it.
Not to say, that Civ3 looks so similar to editor from Starcraft.
(all those similar menues)
Old August 19, 2002, 08:10   #25
NeoStar
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by player1
Not to say, that Civ3 looks so similar to editor from Starcraft.
(all those similar menues)
Unfortunately so goes the old saying -looks dont mean anything - it's what's inside that counts.

A Starcraft like trigger system would let you control everything. You could MAKE a historical scn pan out almost exactly how it should and make the challange to keep up rather than change history.
Old August 19, 2002, 10:30   #26
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

No more unlimited RR movement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nudity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 19, 2002, 12:08   #27
player1
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by NeoStar
Unfortunately so goes the old saying -looks dont mean anything - it's what's inside that counts.

A Starcraft like trigger system would let you control everything. You could MAKE a historical scn pan out almost exactly how it should and make the challange to keep up rather than change history.
If Firaxis actualy plans to do some sort of trigger system, I bet it would look similar to one from Starcraft.

P.S.
Remeber Space Invaders scenario?
Old August 19, 2002, 23:41   #28
hahntsak
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
i'd like to have a option on units for an improvement requirement.
boats have to be built in a shipyards with timber... [later aluminum or iron...]
or a slave market for... etc
Old August 20, 2002, 07:11   #29
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by hahntsak
i'd like to have a option on units for an improvement requirement.
boats have to be built in a shipyards with timber... [later aluminum or iron...]
or a slave market for... etc
I like that idea
Old August 20, 2002, 09:27   #30
XarXo
Prince

I suggest the possibility of multimapping ala Civ II ToT AND a new one. Better explained at:http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...threadid=58585