Old August 20, 2002, 12:48   #91
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 07:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
"I will try to find something that will suit your thirst for specifics, in a notoriusly inspecific field."

Well, isn't it time we demanded specificity? Do you have an idea why this is a notoriously inspecific field? Could it be that they just don't know for sure?

I'm just a little tired of hearing non-specifics, when a great deal of specificity is required and somebody is lurching for my pocketbook. It's about like a beggar that gives you hell every time he asks for money and you don't give him any.
As a mild analogy (i.e don't attempt extrpolation of the comparison )

Demanding specifics is like asking the weatherman to tell you what the weather will be in exactly one year from now.

He can give you an estimate, based on norms for the time of year - he is not pulling numbers out of thin air (a much more amicable insult), he is basing it on something.

But I wouldn't call it an exact science though.

The reason the situation is notoriusly inspecific is because the ability to predict and attribute with certainty is small. This does not stop the attribution of trends to the situation, so as to get a qualitative statement of the connections.