Old August 16, 2002, 04:57   #1
varth
Settler

Local Time: 06:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
civ2 & XP
Hello all,

After years not playing civ II i decided to install it on my machine with windows XP. All goes well, installation, there's apparently no problem when i play. I installed the latest indeo drivers (5.xx).

The thing is, even if i play well, the game is taking 100% of the CPU so this one goes to 60 degrees and i don't want it to go higher and burn.

Does anyone have had this kind of issue and what solved it?

Thanks for your answers.

-------
varth
Old August 16, 2002, 07:32   #2
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 08:11
My problem hasn't been exactly like that, but the game doesn't respond when starting to read the next audio track. So solved it by turning off the music. It's not perhaps the best solution, but you could try it. The symptoms of increased CPU load hints at least it could be related to that.

Also switching the compatibility mode in Windows for the application could be a solution, but try turning off the music first.
Old August 16, 2002, 09:58   #3
varth
Settler

it's none of this. I tried without ce CD so there weren't any music, and I tried all compatibility mode. The 100% of CPU is continious (not sure of that word): it starts when i run civ2 and stops when i quit.

-------
varth
Old August 16, 2002, 10:00   #4
varth
Settler

i forgot to ask... You have civ2 running on windows XP and it doesn't take 100% of your CPU?
Old August 16, 2002, 16:11   #5
yaroslav
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:11
In my computer the same thing happens. I belive that this is the correct 'solution', but I can be wrong:

In a normal situation, a process call 'Empty Process' or 'Inactive system process' take the majority of the time of the CPU, but, when you load Civ2, Civ2 can perfectly use the 100% of your CPU and the empty process is no longer need.

I have no problems with Civ2 and more applications opens in my Windows XP.
Old August 16, 2002, 18:32   #6
geofelt
Prince

Local Time: 01:11
I run civ 2 and civ 3 on my windows xp(home) computer. I do not see the high cpu utilization problem. My only problem is that civ2 stops for about 5 seconds when the music changes. I would like to find a fix for that. You could verify that it is civ2 or some other component by alt+cntl+delete, getting the active process window that shows cpu utilization by component.
Old August 16, 2002, 21:16   #7
varth
Settler

@geofelt: thx for your tips but i already know windows

@yaroslav: well it's a bit scary when your CPU gains 10 degrees with a small application like civ2.

btw i run windows xp pro so maybee (but i doubt) there's a difference between pro and home for civ2
Old August 16, 2002, 22:34   #8
geofelt
Prince

Local Time: 01:11
I did some testing. While civ2 is waiting to end the turn, I also show 99%. When I bring down a window, it drops to a small number. I don't think it is anything to worry about, because other applications seem to run ok. I am responding to this while civ2 is waiting and playing music.
Old August 17, 2002, 07:19   #9
varth
Settler

yes it's playable, if i didn't know ther were problems with 16 bits application in windows XP I wouldn't have seen the task manager and would have play civ2 without caring it takes 100% of my CPU. But the thing is my CPU gains 10 degrees (celsius) and i don't like that.
Old August 17, 2002, 16:18   #10
yaroslav
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:11
Well, I haven' test the temperature of my CPU I also use Windows Pro