Old August 16, 2002, 05:09   #1
Jimmy 2 Times
Settler

Local Time: 22:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Played new patch - Games still sucks
Alright, so I haven't played Civ III for several months, for several months. Can't even remember when actually. So browsing the internet, I saw that there was a new patch out, a new patch out. Foolishly I got excited about playing again, much like I was when the game was first released. Unfortunately, I found that the combat pretty much played just how it did in its original release: superior units get wiped out regularly, bombardments hardly ever work, etc, etc. I really like some of the new concepts they brought to the game, but man overall it just misses the mark,. I know you can go in and change the rules of the game, but to me it feels like I'm cheating, like I'm cheating. Mabe if I got some therapy I could learn to enjoy this game. Otherwise, it's just not fun to play. Period. Period. So back to Civ II I go.

BTW, I was pretty surprized to see all the activity still on this forum. I was sure this game was such a dud that no one would be wasting their time with it anymore. WOW! You guys are some loyal mf-er's, loyal mf-er's.
Old August 16, 2002, 05:18   #2
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 07:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Wow, to spoil a zero-post DL to post this stuff is great.

And yes, you noticed it right. We are all masochists here, and Firaxis is our master. If you aren't like us, quick, run away or they may hurt you!

Quote:
Period. Period. So back to Civ II I go.
Do not return.
Old August 16, 2002, 05:26   #3
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:11
I am scorched.
Old August 16, 2002, 05:29   #4
NeoStar
Warlord

Local Time: 16:11
Re: Played new patch - Games still sucks
Your not going to get much sympathy here.

Quote:
Do not return.
Follow his advice.
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old August 16, 2002, 05:41   #5
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 01:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy 2 Times
. . .I know you can go in and change the rules of the game, but to me it feels like I'm cheating, like I'm cheating. . . You guys are some loyal mf-er's, loyal mf-er's.
Not me. I'm just trying to keep Firaxis honest and improve the game! Won't play it again until I can kill Flipping in PTW.

Changing Firaxis' dumb and non-historical unit and other values is neither cheating nor changing the rules. We have gone over that many times. If I couldn't have modded it I would have dumped it in December. TRY A GOOD MOD.
Old August 16, 2002, 05:47   #6
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 06:11
well,well, JimmyTrick - Firaxis gave us the editing tool. Using it is not cheating, unless you give yourself an unfair advantage (like giving your civ all 6 traits). The editor is there to be used so...use it! . And I bet that those superior units that got wiped out where unsupported and attack by superior enemy numbers. If that's the case, that's just bad tactics on your part. One tank can't conquer the Roman Empire, even if they only have spearmen
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old August 16, 2002, 05:47   #7
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

This is shaping up in an unusual fashion.
Old August 16, 2002, 05:48   #8
zulu9812
King

Damn - I can't believe I got trolled that easily...
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old August 16, 2002, 05:55   #9
Deathwalker
Prince

Then play another game and don't come back
Old August 16, 2002, 05:57   #10
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 07:11
The stuff they don't think is broke isn't going to get fixed. That you don't like the randomness in the combat results is understandable but a personal choice. Firaxis have allowed you to turn off the fixed-seed numbers so that a really awful turn can just be replayed if you feel strongly about it. I know some battle outcomes have me screaming at the screen Personally the only things I'd like to see change that haven't been mentioned in the PtW spiel are:

- now that the AI is stronger, make their ships obey the naval rules, i.e. sink in sea/ocean so that they can't (and don't try) to colonise every island with galleys. Knowing exactly where those islands are gives them enough of an advantage for when they do develop the right tech.
- again because the AI is better, make it actually obey your own territorial borders to the same extent it demands you respect its own. Sending settlers is understandable but sometimes its entire stacks of troops that don't seem to have a clue where they are going or why.
- allow the culture flip formula to be editable rather than just on/off, so that those who like the theory but expect 5 units of modern inf/armor to be able to hold down even a big a city to tweak the numbers (a la Tiananmen Square). For instance I would personally like to change the formula to count attack strength, not just number of units, so a tank is 16 times more effective than a warrior.
Old August 16, 2002, 06:25   #11
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Local Time: 23:11
Dude, what's with the repetition, repetition? Maybe, instead of whinning about how hard the game is, you could turn that speech impediment (He doesn't actually have one, I'd bet...so chill out) into an advantage, advantage. Maybe if you keep playing the game you'll get better at it, better at it. It's certainly a better option than going, "Waa, waa."

Sorry folks, didn't want to have to get snippy about it, but this post just irritated me. (BTW I stutter, so bbback off about my comment. I appologize if anyone was offended, but unlike him I do have a speech impediment.)

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.
Old August 16, 2002, 06:29   #12
Jimmy 2 Times
Settler

Local Time: 22:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Deathwalker
Then play another game and don't come back
Excellent advice, my dear chap, my dear chap. I think you're on to something.

......but what of all the years devoted to this game title, game title?

ahhhhh, I think I'll have a drink, have a drink.....
Old August 16, 2002, 06:29   #13
notyoueither
Deity

/Edit jt, you are a real twot.
Old August 16, 2002, 06:40   #14
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Local Time: 08:11
Quote:
I found that the combat pretty much played just how it did in its original release: superior units get wiped out regularly
people post this now and then.
I don't get it. It hardly happens to me that a tank loses against, let's say, a phalanx.

What do you guys mean?
that a 3-1-1 units attacks a 1-2-1 units and loses? Do you expect every attack 3 unit to beat a defense 2 unit?

Or do you mean that your almost broken tank (red) loses against a elite complete healthy riffleman (which loses 4 out of 5)?

I mean, it's not weard that that happens now and than.
Old August 16, 2002, 06:41   #15
Barchan
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by DRoseDARs
Dude, what's with the repetition, repetition?
It's his gimmick. Jimmy 2 Times, get it? Much like his criticism, it's painfully lame. I hear Mingapulco is lovely this time of year. Maybe we'll get a couple of postcards?
Old August 16, 2002, 08:15   #16
Zachriel
King

Local Time: 02:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy 2 Times Unfortunately, I found that the combat pretty much played just how it did in its original release: superior units get wiped out regularly, bombardments hardly ever work, etc, etc. . . . WOW! You guys are some loyal mf-er's, loyal mf-er's.

War is a dangerous occupation -- not for children. Soldiers die, even in victory. Perhaps you should try bookkeeping or becoming a video clerk.

http://www.zachriel.com/
Old August 16, 2002, 09:28   #17
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 01:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy 2 Times
WOW! You guys are some loyal mf-er's, loyal mf-er's.
Providing your opinions on why you think the game is flawed is OK...

Calling people mf-er's isn't...

Continue with the latter, and you won't be posting here much longer...