Old August 16, 2002, 08:02   #1
ETB
Warlord

Local Time: 01:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Converting a CtP Map to CtP2
I have a 150x300 world map that I created for CtP. Is there any way of converting it for use in CtP2? I have tried importing the map from my CtP scenario file, but it doesn’t like that format. I was thinking about installing CtP, opening the scenario and using CtP’s exportmap command to see if that creates a text-based map file that CtP2 can import. Then I would have to replace all the goods and starting positions, but that’s a lot less work than starting over! I would love to hear if anyone has a better method or other ideas.
Old August 16, 2002, 08:48   #2
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 08:11
I have no better idea so I tried and it looked that even this doesn't work. Of course there could be written a program that will convert the text CTP1 map into a text CTP2. So here is the result of my trial:

-Martin
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiredr.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	22293  
Old August 16, 2002, 10:24   #3
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 07:11
Maybe it would be possible to alter colours00.txt in CtP so that the minimap displays the terrain in the correct colours for putting it into bmp2ctp2 and convert it that way.
Old August 16, 2002, 10:36   #4
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
Maybe it would be possible to alter colours00.txt in CtP so that the minimap displays the terrain in the correct colours for putting it into bmp2ctp2 and convert it that way.
That isn't an elligant sollution, too, but at least it worked for me in CTP2, don't know if the minimap is as detailed as the CTP2 one but if there can be used for every terrain a different collor, too then it is possible.

-Martin
Old August 16, 2002, 14:39   #5
ETB
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
I have no better idea so I tried and it looked that even this doesn't work. Of course there could be written a program that will convert the text CTP1 map into a text CTP2. So here is the result of my trial:
-Martin
I see this isn't going to be easy and may not even be possible I'll give it a try and let you know what happens.
Old August 22, 2002, 21:50   #6
ETB
Warlord

I managed to duplicate Martin’s results exactly! That’s as far as I could go. I think I’ll just try one of the world maps that others have already made instead of trying to convert my old one…
Old August 23, 2002, 22:19   #7
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Well, skorpion59 (remember him? yes, ETB does I'm sure, but how about the rest of you, n00bes? ) was working on a tool that could convert a whole bunch of map formats to CtP2 format, but he never got around to releasing it (CtP1>CtP2 did work though) He gave me all the necessary info ages ago, but after a couple of computer crashes and stuff I lost this. It's not too hard to do once you know the differences in the format of the text maps (the formats are similar yet slightly different), but I don't think this info is available anywhere anymore. One thing to remember is that the numbers in these text files are binary conversions of hex numbers: they may seem like random numbers now but if you convert them back to hexadecimal numbers, it makes a lot more sense...
Old August 24, 2002, 12:55   #8
ETB
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
Well, skorpion59 (remember him?
That's right! skorpion59 was pretty clever at all that programming stuff. Maybe I'll dig up his email addy and see if I can contact him. I wouldn't mind learning more about maps anyway.