Old August 24, 2002, 12:44   #61
HappySunShine
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 01:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I don't need to come back with a witty reply with you. You already admitted cheating for at least a year and in more ways than I can count. When I did it the one time I did it in a way that was easily provable. You however did everything you could to mask the fact you were cheating. You can never ever tell someone is watching the game from your point of view. And since you already made the confession you cheated for years you really have no right to even speak to me. And please, make my day, start accusing me of cheating because they've done it for years and not one save has popped up since August of 1999. I have also written more strategies than anyone and have proven beyond a doubt that I have the most skill. So compared to that what are you? And like I said, you've never beaten me before without taking my capital before 3000BC. Gee, wonder how you did that so many times?

PS You suck at tennis and don't ever try to talk to me about tennis again.
Old August 24, 2002, 14:07   #62
Kuja
Warlord

Local Time: 06:13
"PS You suck at tennis and don't ever try to talk to me about tennis again."

You're right.. I'm terrible at tennis... I mean, I'm only in the frat championships... and will be walking onto the Purdue varsity team... but I suck... they are only the best team in the Big 10.. but Division 1, what's that? Only real players play Division 2 tennis right? Face it, you always have been and always will be small time.
Old August 24, 2002, 14:11   #63
Kuja
Warlord

Oh, and don't even talk to me about cheating. Civ2 is just like any other game, you get bored with it once it has become too easy, and you use the cheat codes. For example, Grand Theft Auto 3. I beat all the missions. Then to make the game interesting the next time through you use the weapons code or tank code. Every game is like that. Once you master it the only way to keep it interesting is to make it interesting. And believe me, I beat you w/out hex editting many times, especially under the name il_duce, and those games went way past 3000BC... I guess that's why you never wanted to finish the last game, since your pathetic rush didn't work
Old August 24, 2002, 15:10   #64
HappySunShine
Warlord

lol Oh my god. You really want to take me on in tennis? You aren't going to win. You show me a picture of you on the team of Purdue. You don't even know what racquet you use let alone what kind of string to use. Frat championship? LOL Holy ****. Is that supposed to be impressive? Wow, this is going to be funny.
Old August 24, 2002, 18:07   #65
Kuja
Warlord

haha, you are in for a rude awakening son. what's the closest college to purdue that you travel to this season? i'll take you on anytime. in fact, i should be in tampa this winter break. bring it
Old August 24, 2002, 18:09   #66
Kuja
Warlord

and yes, being in the frat championships is impressive. however you wouldn't know since you go to a school as big as my ****. we have one of the largest greek communities in the nation here, so i recommend you inform youself of these matters before you open your mouth.
Old August 25, 2002, 03:32   #67
Ironikinit
Prince

If you marys wanna talk tennis, there's an off topic forum. The grown ups are talking now.

OK, whoever said they'd try a warrior rush, it won't work unless you bring a real sizable stack. It's not easy to take out spearmen with the Aztec jaguar warrior, which can retreat. A regular warrior attacking a spearman fortified in a town on grass has a 12.6% chance of winning. Better make that two sizable stacks because it's not that hard to build two spearmen. Or worse, your opponent picks the Greeks. How does losing 20+ warriors just to have a crack at killing one hoplite fortified in a town grab you?

Horsemen or mounted warriors are a much better idea if you're going to do a single unit rush. Don't forget, though, that you need the resources. Not to be all remedial, but you're not guaranteed horses or anything, and you need to build a road to them and at least plant a colony. Maybe your opponent took the Zulus and has impis parked on your horses. People do that stuff to the AI, why not you?

Better yet, you could use combined arms like the people who play Civ 3 do and not have your gains snatched back in the counter attack because horsemen don't hold territory very well.

I appreciate that multiplayer is a whole other game, but you guys might try to appreciate that the single player folks are doing a lot of your research for you. They're trying out strategies and doing a lot of the work, which guys like HappyAss will then steal and claim they perfected. OMG A HORSEMAN RUSH NOBODY EVER THOUGHT OF THAT YOU'RE A GENIUS. If y'all think that players like Zachriel or Aeson (just to name two at random) don't put thought into their games, you're mistaken. Don't go thinking they'd be pushovers. I have no idea if they're even into MP or anything, but they're smart, don't kid yourself.

As has been said plenty of times, nobody knows for sure how MP will work out. That includes Civ 3 newbies who better get some practice or they'll get embarassed by SP rooks who've been playing the tough levels, never letting a single tile go to waste. I know who I'd put my money on in the early games, anyway.

BTW, the whole Civ series is pretty much beer and pretzels, dunno why you guys think it's such a big deal to master.

One thing's for sure, HappyAss could only be playing one on one because he has the diplomatic skills of a fiending crackhead. If I was playing him in I'd ally with Osama bin Laden to whack him and give Osama the win.
Old August 25, 2002, 15:45   #68
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

You stated odds change considerably when the defender get's nicked. So I don't think you need as many as you seem to think.

RAH
Old August 25, 2002, 23:15   #69
Frank Johnson
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 00:13
You also have a darn good chance of promoing your enemies regs to vets, and descent chance of sending them to elite if they are militeristic. So if your first assualt fails, the 2nd will have to be twice as strong to fight the same few defenders
Old August 26, 2002, 08:19   #70
rah
lifer
Just another peon

I think the odds of doing a point of damage are higher than a promotion of the defender. How do you get twice as strong?
Old August 26, 2002, 09:18   #71
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
I think the odds of doing a point of damage are higher than a promotion of the defender. How do you get twice as strong?
Yes... a nicked unit changes the odds dramitically

Now. Kuja and Happy.

You want to argue who is the best "Civ" Player. Fine.
You want to argue who is the best Tennis Player... you can do that in REAL life, or via ICQ... or Email... but not here.

And if you want to call each other cheaters, do that somewhere else as well... We've all been down that path before, and we certainly don't need to go through it all again.
Old August 26, 2002, 12:38   #72
HappySunShine
Warlord

Ok, I'll see you on winter break then. This will probably be the most amusing thing I've ever done.
Old August 26, 2002, 13:02   #73
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 07:13
Well I guess there can't be any arguments about settings.......

What surface will you play on?
Old August 26, 2002, 13:46   #74
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
Well I guess there can't be any arguments about settings.......

What surface will you play on?
EXCELLENT stirring of the pot, Dr Spike!

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old August 26, 2002, 14:47   #75
Kuja
Warlord

how far is tampa from where you are?
Old August 26, 2002, 15:02   #76
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by -Jrabbit

EXCELLENT stirring of the pot, Dr Spike!
I'm sure I don't know what you mean
Old August 26, 2002, 15:13   #77
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Please keep us informed if there will actually be a match.

I'm sure it would spark a pool here.

Rich
Old August 26, 2002, 17:17   #78
Frank Johnson
King

The odds of raising a reg to a vet is 1 in 4 for a militeristic type, and 1 in 8 to elite. Its only 1 to 2 for conscripts! The odds are doubled against for non-militeristic.

Anyway it can figure in the odds. When I know I'll attack an elite unit, I feel free to throw out of date units at it, but if I know I'll lose the odds of just helping the enemy out gets higher.
Old August 26, 2002, 17:42   #79
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 08:13
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank Johnson
The odds of raising a reg to a vet is 1 in 4 for a militeristic type, and 1 in 8 to elite. Its only 1 to 2 for conscripts! The odds are doubled against for non-militeristic.

Anyway it can figure in the odds. When I know I'll attack an elite unit, I feel free to throw out of date units at it, but if I know I'll lose the odds of just helping the enemy out gets higher.
but any unit that wins twice in the same turn gets promoted ... always... (except leader generation of course).
so basicly a good case, your reg spearman will defeat 2 units --> veteran and in the next move the same --> elite
Old August 26, 2002, 18:52   #80
Frank Johnson
King

I knew I got more promotions than were possible with those odds, but civfan didn't post that extra did bit. Thanks for the info.
Old August 26, 2002, 21:52   #81
Ironikinit
Prince

I really couldn't say for sure how many warriors it would take on average to destroy a reg spearman fortified in a town. I'm quite sure that the spearman would be elite by the time it was destroyed in the majority of cases though, the VAST majority. Try it yourself if you think a warrior rush will work. People have talked about it before but AFAIK no one's had success. I know I've had to take use a sizable stack of jaguar warriors to take towns defended with spears, and jags are less likely to promote the defender. A good case could be made for a jag rush on a small map, IMO, but if your neighbor is Zulu, forget it unless you're right on him from turn one. You'd be just as well off using archers in that case.

That's a cool thing about Civ 3, the different unique units and civ attributes will lead to some interesting strategies and counters. Unfortunately if the game has to be real short some good unique units that appear later on won't be appealing. I'd like to see how it works out, but I won't have game time in the foreseeable future.
Old August 26, 2002, 21:57   #82
Frank Johnson
King

Actually I see most game being played without the national specific units or golden ages. They are just too imbalancing for multiplayer. Perhaps the civ specific stats can stay around (military, science, comm, relgion, etc...) but I dont see one player allowing them to get the greek on their butt on a small map while waiting for some industrial or modern age unit instead.
Old August 27, 2002, 12:47   #83
HappySunShine
Warlord

On winter break I'll be about 20min outside of tampa. We'll talk more as it gets closer. I really truly hope you know what you're getting yourself into. I've played tennis my entire life and from what I've gathered you've played for a few years max. You don't even know what string you use and you bought your racquet at a pro shop. You didn't even know how to hit a proper kick serve last time we talked. Something tells me you're just trying to goad me into a match. But I'll humor you I guess.
Old August 27, 2002, 13:25   #84
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

His Happiness is honing his people skills again I see.....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old August 27, 2002, 14:05   #85
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Quote:
Actually I see most game being played without the national specific units or golden ages. They are just too imbalancing for multiplayer. Perhaps the civ specific stats can stay around (military, science, comm, relgion, etc...) but I dont see one player allowing them to get the greek on their butt on a small map while waiting for some industrial or modern age unit instead.
As long as everyone has a choice of any characteristic and any UU, there's no reason they can't be used. If everyone wants to select the same UU, fine. I think this would be much more interesting as people get to try different stratagies to compliment their characteristic and UU selections. It would be fun to see if eventually a concensus was reached. Choices is what keeps the game fresh and extends playablility

Rich
Could we get that tennis match on PAY PER VIEW?
Old August 27, 2002, 14:32   #86
DrSpike
Deity

We don't need that; we'll no doubt have not 1 but 2 complete (and one would expect mutually inconsistent) accounts of the match to entertain us...........should such a match go ahead.
Old August 27, 2002, 15:45   #87
Frank Johnson
King

Rah your probably right, but i'd assume everyone would have an anicent unit then
Old August 27, 2002, 15:55   #88
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Take your chances, play civs and terrain randomly.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old August 27, 2002, 16:33   #89
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Quote:
Rah your probably right, but i'd assume everyone would have an anicent unit then
But which one? It could be interesting, do you take one that you can get with only one tech or do you hope you have a bit of time and take one that will be better a LITTLE later. The only one I know no one will take will be the F15
Old August 27, 2002, 18:12   #90
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 16:13
Quote:
Originally posted by rah

Could we get that tennis match on PAY PER VIEW?
How much do you think they will pay us to view?

Hydey the no-limits man. :(