Old August 16, 2002, 15:36   #1
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 22:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
America the country without cities
I have kind of an interesting event in my current game.

America had the misfortune of being placed next to the Iroquois (a killer AI). The Iroquois decided to expand into America when they ran out of room. Since this was on another continent it wasn't my problem.

Japan (myself) has been expanding into Indian and Chinese territory since those civs didn't leave me enough room. During one of my wars America decided to put a city down on temporarly unclaimed land on my continent. Not a big deal at the moment.

Now America has been kicked out of there native land (Yes I noted the Irony in this). I just happen to have 4 swordsmen parked next to their new capital, so I declare war when they refuse to give me everything. Well the civ didn't die so they must a Settle in a galley somewhere. Now I build a couple of galley to go finish them off and happen to find them (they were dumb enough to come into my territory).

The American Galley is wounded and 2 Japanesse galleys are coming in for the kill. Knowing the fate of America rest on his shoulders Captain Abe defys statistics and shows Japan that they aren't ready for the seas yet. Captain Abe takes his 1 HP left Galley and sails through Japanesse territory to annoy me. Because I don't take these things personally and I want to end the useless war (I'm getting nothing out of it and don't want to waste my time builing another Galley) so I offer peace for his world map. America has no cities.

A thousand years go by and I happen to notice a galley with 1 HP sail into my territory. Abe gives me call and offers to exchange maps. What the hell I say. America still does not have any cities. Its not like he doesn't have anywhere to go, I can still see available islands on the world map.

I was about to sign an alliance against him so someone else would kill him, but I thought "How long can he exist with nothing but 1HP and a world map?"

What is the longest you have seen a no city civ live?
Old August 16, 2002, 16:40   #2
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 02:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
That is funny. I bet he sails around in circles every turn too.

I've never seen a "no city" AI. No settler galleys or anything like that. I feel kinda left out.
Old August 16, 2002, 16:45   #3
Flinx
CTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 01:13
Persistent Non-existent Civs
I bet if you leave them alone, they will still be around at the end of the game. Even if you sink his Galley, Abe will probably still be around offering to exchange maps. I had this happen with the Aztecs a few games back, I eventually had to give them one of my cities and then take it back to get them to go away.
Old August 16, 2002, 17:02   #4
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 07:13
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
He could still win the game, you know.
Old August 16, 2002, 17:07   #5
Moonsinger
Warlord

Local Time: 00:13
Re: America the country without cities
Quote:
Originally posted by Jawa Jocky
What is the longest you have seen a no city civ live?
Oh, they could last until the end of the game without any city.
Old August 22, 2002, 17:38   #6
Galvatron
Civilization II PBEMPtWDG Glory of War
Prince

Hey that's nice but in the end it's an interesting strategy when you build nothing nobody can destroy and take your cities and when somebody came just sail away so he don't get you some might say you're invincible.

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.
Old August 22, 2002, 18:02   #7
Jawa Jocky
Prince

The Story Ends...

Before starting a major war with the killer AI, I signed a MMP with Ole' Abe. Unfortunetly, the Galley with 1 hp left did not battle too well against an enemy battleship.

Sorry pal
Old August 22, 2002, 18:08   #8
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Local Time: 07:13
Poor Abe. I've had somewhat similar situations happen (though not quite as funny). I may take mercy on them by giving them a city once belonging to an enemy in exchange for a RoP and MPP; effectively creating a tiny satellite state.
Old August 23, 2002, 10:18   #9
Galvatron
Civilization II PBEMPtWDG Glory of War
Prince

Quote:
The Story Ends...

Before starting a major war with the killer AI, I signed a MMP with Ole' Abe. Unfortunetly, the Galley with 1 hp left did not battle too well against an enemy battleship.

Sorry pal
Oh no just seems my strategy won’t function and I relied soo much on my "no city=invincible" strategy.

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.
Old August 23, 2002, 10:58   #10
Moonsinger
Warlord

Quote:
The Story Ends...

Poor Abe, he didn't have enough time to hide his galley far far away in the South Pole or something.
Old August 23, 2002, 12:04   #11
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 02:13
Quote:
Before 1.21f (I think), the game would crash in this situation - every time. Obviously, now it's fixed!
Old August 23, 2002, 15:39   #12
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Unfortunatly, this happened to me in the 1.21g mac patch.