Old August 16, 2002, 16:21   #1
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Discovering continents for fun and profit
Quoting from another thread:

If we could be the first civ to make contact with those civs [I was referring here to the "missing" civs which we haven't made contact with yet and are probably living on another continent or two somewhere], we'd be RICH!!
The civs living in the other continent(s) are probably technologically backward in comparison to us because all of the Abananaba civs have been trading techs AFAIK. Why, we could sell them tons of technologies for gold and gpt! We could also sell communications but I'd rather be the only civ with communications with civs from overseas.
We should therefore make it a high priority to research means of safely traversing ocean tiles.

adaMada suggested that this idea deserves more attention and that I should open a thread about this so I did.
Comments anyone?
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 16, 2002, 16:34   #2
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 02:13
The civs on Abananaba Minor have a better chance.
Old August 16, 2002, 16:44   #3
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Skywalker - by your statement above, it implies that you have played ahead!!!

Please say that is not the case. Justify what you just stated, or erase it.

I agree with you Shiber, we have the potential to reap a fortune if we contact them first. First we sell them all the techs they are missing. Then when we are done with them, we sell their maps and their knowledge of to all the known civs.

Good thinking.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old August 16, 2002, 16:49   #4
Kuciwalker
Deity

No, I haven't played ahead. I just think that they'd be closer to another continent. In my experience, the map generator always leaves close gaps between continents.
Old August 16, 2002, 16:51   #5
Kuciwalker
Deity

Also, it seems to have a tendancy to leave only very small gaps between continents and the bottom of the map.
Old August 16, 2002, 17:03   #6
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Glad to know you were not looking ahead.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old August 16, 2002, 17:12   #7
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 03:13
Skywalker is right, IMO. Btw, the British are building the Great Lighthouse in Nottingham. They have good chances, too.
Look at this: (I'm not playing ahead, just supposing)
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	wm01.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	22315  
Old August 16, 2002, 17:26   #8
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 06:13
If the other 4 are "here probably" it would be good for us as the area to the south of us, around uber isle, would probably be littered with islands full of late age resourses.

From the attached image were doing well (IMHO).
The Aztecs look quite big but hey won't be able to keep up later on. The Romans are also looking strong especially if they decide to take out the babylonians soon.
Old August 16, 2002, 17:30   #9
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 01:13
Quote:
Originally posted by OPD
From the attached image were doing well (IMHO).
The Aztecs look quite big but hey won't be able to keep up later on. The Romans are also looking strong especially if they decide to take out the babylonians soon.
the aztecs will be the powerhouse of this continent.

babylon is goign to culture-rape rome and russia. all of abananaba minor will be weaker because of it. looks good for us.
Old August 16, 2002, 17:46   #10
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I still believe we have a better chance to discover the missing civs than the AIs. I've never seen an AI travel over the oceans looking for other landmasses.
Btw from my experience, in maps where there is more than one continent there is usually a luxury (or two at most) that are unique to one of the continents. If we go to war with one of the missing civs (we should think think about this option before we sell them any techs though) and manage to get a hold of several tiles with a luxury that is unique to the lost continent we'll be able to monopolize it in Abananaba!!
Just think of the gpt!
/me gets greedy...
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 16, 2002, 17:49   #11
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

When I play I usually help the Aztecs along if I'm not right next to them as they keep other civs small but are never a threat once the industrial revolution kicks in.
Old August 16, 2002, 17:55   #12
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Hmmm... Shiber, this could be a good and tasteful goal...How much this will cost? I mean money and time. We need navigation or The Great Lighthouse. In my games, I always go for the Great Lighthouse just to look for other lands.
Old August 16, 2002, 18:05   #13
Shiber
Emperor

We won't get the great lighthouse unless we take it from another civ. Hopefully France are about to complete it and we'll get to take it from them. Otherwise we're gonna have to go for navigation.
The downside is that this will take us off the road to democracy...
IMHO we should research navigation nonetheless. After all, we can always buy democracy but we can't buy exclusive access to the lost continent.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 16, 2002, 18:23   #14
GoodFella
Warlord

Without the great liighthouse, there's no way we'll discover any new civs unless they build lighthouse or if they're not discovered until navigation.
Old August 16, 2002, 19:20   #15
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

Quote:
Originally posted by GoodFella
Without the great liighthouse, there's no way we'll discover any new civs unless they build lighthouse or if they're not discovered until navigation.
Not neccesarily. I usually send galleys until I get lucky and one finds it without sinking. Usually only takes me 3 or 4 times.
Old August 16, 2002, 20:41   #16
Kuciwalker
Deity

We need our galleys for Uber Isle, which I am convinced is not a continent. Continents generally only come close together in one spot. Also, England is more likely than Greece because Greece has Sky Isle just off it's coast, and continents usually aren't THAT close together.
Old August 16, 2002, 22:48   #17
Donal Graeme
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 22:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
We can pray to the banana that in our war with France that we get a Leader, and use him to create the Great Lighthouse. That would be the easiest, but not most likely way, to succede.
Old August 16, 2002, 23:11   #18
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

the gallies are going to uber isle. we're sending both of them out to the island at the same time. I'm hoping (at least) ne survives.

IF, somehow, both survive, one shall return to the mainland and the other shall explore uber isle.

If one does survive, it will begin scouting a little, and we will need another galley from the mainland. this galley could be loaded with a settler / spearmen and Uber isle could be colonized with the (possible) expense of the mainland galley. The settler stack would be safe.

After the "initial dropoff", the galley on uber isle will begin scouting again, unless we see substantial need for more settlers immediately (ie a large landmass). Uber island could populate itself after the initial kickoff, but if we need it done quickly we could devote more "mainland resources" to it.

As for finding other civs, I doubt we will but I'm all for it. After the fall of France we'll have some time of realitive peace. Sure, we'll be crushing America, finishing them off, but I consider fighting the Americans to be peace. We're just claiming our land. During that time I'd promote galley construction alongside the horsemen / knights we would need for our next target, but i dont know how useful they'd be.
Old August 17, 2002, 01:06   #19
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
As for finding other civs, I doubt we will but I'm all for it. After the fall of France we'll have some time of realitive peace. Sure, we'll be crushing America, finishing them off, but I consider fighting the Americans to be peace. We're just claiming our land. During that time I'd promote galley construction alongside the horsemen / knights we would need for our next target, but i dont know how useful they'd be.

Basically, this is exactly what I'm thinking -- as soon as we finish the war with France, let's get some boats out there and try it .

-- adaMada
Old August 17, 2002, 01:21   #20
GoodFella
Warlord

What makes you think its an island?
Old August 17, 2002, 07:50   #21
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Donal Graeme
We can pray to the banana that in our war with France that we get a Leader, and use him to create the Great Lighthouse. That would be the easiest, but not most likely way, to succede.
I would create an army first and win a battle with it so we could build a heroic epic and get more leaders from future battles.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 17, 2002, 08:48   #22
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Well, THAT's a major question. For what can we use a Leader, if we get one? I'm have a tendency, in my games, to use them to build Great Wonders or armies, IF I playing with a militaristic civ (I get six, once). However, this isn’t our case, we are religious and industrious, and build the Heroic Epic could give us the same chances to get another leader as a militaristic civ… or not? I’m not sure about the probabilities. Anyhow, this deserves a better discussion. Personally, I would like to build the Great Lighthouse.
Old August 17, 2002, 08:54   #23
Kuciwalker
Deity

IF we get a leader, and IF we don't use him to build an army, we're going to build the Great Library with him, NOT the Lighthouse.
Old August 17, 2002, 08:58   #24
Shiber
Emperor

I'd bet a hundred gold pieces that the lost continent(s)/islands are separated from our mighty continent by ocean squares. The great lighthouse won't help us with that, as we will still be unable to safely traverse ocean squares.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 17, 2002, 09:01   #25
Kuciwalker
Deity

I know! We'll all by a whole lot of stuff from the 'Poly store, and not only will we save a bunch of cats, we'll have a spy plane that we can use to find the other countries!
Old August 17, 2002, 09:09   #26
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
IF we get a leader, and IF we don't use him to build an army, we're going to build the Great Library with him, NOT the Lighthouse.
Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
I'd bet a hundred gold pieces that the lost continent(s)/islands are separated from our mighty continent by ocean squares. The great lighthouse won't help us with that, as we will still be unable to safely traverse ocean squares.
You both are right, for sure. But I can’t stop to imagine how profitable could be find the others civs before our neighbors… Well, just a thought.
Old August 17, 2002, 11:32   #27
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

we could start to get around the world , there is going to be more places with civ's , .....

we know not enough of the world

we need to master the sea , and the land that is in it

have a nice day
Old August 17, 2002, 12:21   #28
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Sorry, but I don't have the game open in front of me -- what's the first Naval unit that can go through ocean squares?

How many techs would we have to get to have one... can we safely assume that, if we get it the same time the AI does, we'll have a higher emphisis on finding the other civs then they will have in exploring? Also, what are the chances of the other civs coming and finding our neighbors shortly after we meet them, or even before? That'd probably null the long term advantage of making first contact, though we could probably still get a ton of money by selling between the groups even in a few turns.

Any thoughts?

-- adaMada
Old August 17, 2002, 12:31   #29
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

Quote:
Originally posted by adaMada
Sorry, but I don't have the game open in front of me -- what's the first Naval unit that can go through ocean squares?
-- adaMada
I think they are the Frigate, Galleon, and Privateer, which all come with Magnetism. (i think, anyway)
Old August 17, 2002, 12:52   #30
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Galleys or Caravels can do it, if we get navigation.