Old August 16, 2002, 20:05   #1
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 00:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
A Weltpolitik view of the world [longish]
Well, as we change Pharaohs, a small break for annalysis has opened, with many new threads on overall and specific policy. I think that is great and hope to see them all stay in the front page for a while. Now, I would like to introduce an old concept to our overall diplomatic policies: Weltpolitik.

Our aim in this game is global hegemony, nothing else. NOw, complete control of this world, or at least total preeminence must always keep i mind the actual world we live inur strenght comes not only from our minds but the world we control and its characteristics. Any longterm annaylis of threats probably needs a clearheaded annaylisis of our map and how it has shaped the civs in the Ananbana Continent.

In order to do this, let me introduce four new geographical terms into our lexicon, The Grand Basin, The Minor Basin, The Minor Plain, and the Major Plain

Look at the map: we are in Notylopa jungle-, but notice, the entire jungle is surrounded by mountains! IN short, we live in what can be considered a single geographical unit, what I call the Grand Basin. Now, examine our foreign policy; Without thinking about it much it seems, our entire aim has been to gain hegemony over the enitre Grand Basin, by expansion into the eastern areas (border at Ubergorsk), through war with America (to gain the most productive northern areas of the Basin) and with France to drive them from the Western side of the basin. Once our next two campaigns end, we will have en empire enclosed in mountains on all sides- we will have almost complete hegemony over the Grand Basin. Only Munich and a series of small Greek colonies will block our total control of the G.Basin.

Now lets examine the other new features. The Minor Plains include what we call the ivory coast, in short, the flat productie lands West of the Rift mountains that separate the G.Basin on all sides. The end near Ephesus, where the mountains cut it off from the Major plains. THe Greeks have gained Hegemony in this area, mainly because they are the only civ native to the Minor Plain.
The Major Plains are the mainly flat lands north of the Rift mountains, emcompassing the Germans, Aztecs and English.
NOw, the English are not originally from the Grand Plains but from the Minor Basin[s], a geologically diverse land east of our G.Basin, also inhabited by the Persians. There is one last section, which we all know, Anabana Minor, home to other four civs. Of course, we yet do not know what the home of the four missing civs is like, whether they live in another major continent, or live in smaller islands.

Now, the question is, how shall we gain control, hegemony, over the five major, basic geographical sections: The Grand Basin, The Minor Basin[s], Anabana Minor, the Minor Plains and the Major Plains? Well, let me break down the annalysis into two three sections for each part, an annalysis of the sections by A. civ starting potentials and how they have behaved, B. by the viability of direct vs. inderect control, and C. of possible strategies, and my opinions of them. We shall begin at home.

GRAND BASIN:
A. Three civ begun here, ourselves, the Americans, and the French.
We had by far the weakest beginning position of all, not close to any potential industrial areas (hills and mountains) and surrounded by Jungles. The French begun on good grassland, close to industrial potential, and with plenty of flatlands to expand. The Americans begun on even richer fatlands(floodplains nearby) but with less industrial potential overll than the French.
The French moved to secure their flatlands, but they did not cut deep into the junngle, instead they moved mainly west, over the rift mountains and into them. The Americans moved south, into the jugle, with one move into the mountains (Chicago). We took up all the small flatlands we had, and first moved north, then East, and finally west.
B. We have aimed to gain direct control over the entire Grand basin, by military force.
C.The fact that the Basin is one major and enclosed feature, and the fact that while large, cities like Boston, Paris, and Ubergorsk are not rendered useless by corruption, makes direct control of the Grand Basin a possibility, and overall, our strategy has paid off, and will continue to pay off.

MINOR BASIN[S]:
A. Two civs grew here, the Persians and English. The Persians grew in a section with close access to industrial possibility and a good amount of flat plain. The nglish grew in a very similar area, in general, more mountains near london and less flatlands dierctly near london. The Perians Grew and filed their small section, but were stopped by us into moving in the Grand Basin, and the English stopped them into the north. The English, in turn, were stoped from going to far south by the Persians, but had ample space to expand into the major plains.
B. Can we get direct control over the Minor Basins? To the southern sections, the land of Persia, the answer is yes. To the north, the English lands, the answer is no, for even if our armies can take it, until very late, corruption will make those cities more a drain that a boost. Can we get direct diplomatic control? No, we can't, since the English will resist and most likely will not warm to us considerably (their being polite to us will be rare, with annoyed or worst the most likly diplomatic sentiment).
C. What can we do? I say that overall, direct control of any part of the Minor basin would not be worth the cost. Better lands lay elsewhere, and control over even just Persian lands will most likely be a drain on the empire. What we need is to balance the scales. In short, we need to make allies wih someone there to neutralize the threat. As the weaker civ, the Persias will make the better ally- strong enough to worry England, too weak to ever threaten us, since the lands between the Persians and ourselves are easily defensible.

MINOR PLAINS:
A. The only civ here is Greece, and they had a fine starting position, good fatlands but also close to some industrial potential. They have made some moves south, west of the rift mountains, and have penetrated the Grand Basin, but more importantly, they have gained Hegemony over the entire Minor plains.
B. Can we gain direct military control? The short answer is yes- by war we could control it, BUT, sch a war would be costly and long. I say that because by the time we have gained hegemony over the Grand basin, the Greeks will have made good use of their hegemony, the hegemony that has made them number one. Because there is only one civ, diplomacy with other civs vs. Greeks will most likely have little positive effect for us.
C. What can we do? Well, it is clear that Greek Hegemony must be limited at most to only the Minor plains: their colonies in the Grand Basin are a problem. A steady if not very warm relation would work best, to block the greeks from using their hegemony over the Minor plains to translate into world Hegemony.

ANABANA MINOR:
A. The Russians grew up close to some industrial potential, and with a good flatland all around. The Iriqouis are somewhat similar, with more hills and less useful flatlands (deserts) near them. Babylon inherited a more industrial friendly land, still with good flatlands, as did Rome. In short, all foru civs had a fair starting point, with the Romans having the best access to fresh water. Now, the Russians expanded out sort of evenly, the smae is true for all the civs in Anabana minor, actually. BUt, while they all had similar initial spread patterns, there are major differences. The Babylonians stopped early, to concentrate in culture. The Romans and Iriqouis both expanded but gave little thought to internal development, so they have a healthy number of weak and unproductive cities. The Romans had the most rounded growth.
B. Is direct control possible? No. ven the Russians, and their capitol Moscow, are too far to be useful. Rome, Salamanca, and Babylon are out of the question. With 4 civs though, diplomacy will be a viable tool.
C. So, whos our pony in Anabana Minor? The Russians are inherently too aggresive, and will be to close, to be a good ally. The Iriquois have had warm feelings for uis for a long time. They are very weak now, but with our help, thy could lay the foundations for a good, minor power. Babylon will continue to aim for culture. I don't see their military potential as high, and I doubt they will ever like us much. An allience with them might not be worth the cost. no reason to antagonize them, but pin no hopes on them either. Rome aims for Hegemony over Anabana MInor,a nd hegemony there would be a great threat, since the lands are wide and usefull. Stopping Roman growth must be our primary aim. If you have not guessed it yet, a good allience with the Iriqouis can be the most useful step to take in Anabana Minor.

MAJOR PLAINS:
A. Two civs started here, the Germans and Aztecs. The germans started in perhaps the best flatlands of all just north of the rift mountains, and had industrial potential near them. The Aztecs had less useful flatland, but also have some basic industrial potential. The Germans made one sortie into the Grand Basin, but have mainly moved to control the rich flatlands and to secure the industrial potential of the rift mountains. The Aztecs have grown at a steady pace and have much land, though a lack of infrastructure makes them weaker than they should be. The English have spread into the Eastern plain and have gained a fair piece of land.
B. Is military control possible? Of all the plains, certainly not Tenochtitlan is almost as far as Rome, and London, in the Minor Basin, but home to a major player in this area, is also too far away. Control over the German lands is possible militarily.
C. The aztecs are far away enought never to be a great threat, but are in a possition to check the english, the Greeks from breaking out of the Minor plains, and the Germans. An allience with them would be very useful. Direct control of gemany is desirable.

Odds and Ends:
France will be in a strage position after the war: their cities will be west of the rift mountains, a plug against greek expansion into Anabana Minor. I think keeping the french there, to check Anabana Minor expansion north, and Greek expansion south, would be best.

Grand Strategy:
So, what could be our grnd strategy? First, gain hegemony over the Grand Basin, giving us a large and easily portected homeland. 2. Gain security over industrial areas north of the Rfut mountains and enter Major Plain politics by Annexing the German homeland. A Forbidden Palace in Boston would give us a very productive homeland from Apolyton to Berlin.
3. Use France and Aztecs to check Greek growth: remove greek influence from Grand Basin. 4.Use Persia and Aztecs to check English growth. 5. use Iriqouis to harrass Roman growth: Oppose at all costs any Roman hegemony over all of Anabana Minor. 6. Fully develop the Grand Basin and use its productivity to gain world hegemony in technology, culture, industry.

Any major comments?
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old August 16, 2002, 21:09   #2
rendelnep
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Monty PythonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Ankh-MorporkCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 18:13
not reallly, All I can say that we very deep and thorough. I think it sums up our major intentions to the t.
Old August 16, 2002, 21:20   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 01:13
our grand strategy will be the strategic toppling of power for all the nations in Abananaba. We will incite long lasting wars that will devistate all the civilizations and leave them ready for us to take them over.
Old August 16, 2002, 22:36   #4
Donal Graeme
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 22:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Excellent analysis of the Geopolitical situation that we find ourselves in. I will need to go over the map, in order to work on some strategy on what steps should be taken to emerge supreme, as well as their order.
Old August 17, 2002, 01:19   #5
GoodFella
Warlord

Local Time: 06:13
Depends mostly on palace placement on where we expand into.
Old August 17, 2002, 01:57   #6
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 03:13
Just a try:
GePap, could be something like this? It’s only a sketch, and if you point the possible errors, I can make a detailed map of each region.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	geo03.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	22366  
Old August 17, 2002, 07:10   #7
rendelnep
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Monty PythonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Ankh-MorporkCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Just one thought though, what affect would moving our capital to the west and then building the forbidden palace in one of the eastern cities eg. napoleton or geofront have on corruption and the therefore the size of our empire?
Old August 17, 2002, 07:11   #8
rendelnep
Prince

(deleted message) - sorry I double posted.
Old August 17, 2002, 08:06   #9
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:13
Very good work GePap! You've really changed the way we look at the maps. Your new division of the continent will also help us convey our ideas better, I believe.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 17, 2002, 09:19   #10
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 02:13
Actually, several people (including me) have already mentioned the potential borders of our nation (i.e. the Grand Basin). However, Gepap's the first person to put everything this way.

I think that our main allies should be Germany and Persia, as well as someone in Abananaba Minor. We can probably get the Germans to fight the Aztecs (it may happen on its own, as they're both Militaristic) and the Persians to fight the English. It might be better to have the Germans fight the Greeks, though. The real point of all of this is to keep them from having a chance to build up their infrastructure, especially in the Medieval Age.
Old August 17, 2002, 09:25   #11
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

No alliances with Germans, please. They are my worst nightmare (it’s a trauma - my shrink said I’ll be fine in two or three years of analysis, with daily sessions) and everything we can do to prune them will be a relief for me. What about we and the Aztecs (or everyone else) against Otto?
Old August 17, 2002, 11:19   #12
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

As a warmonger bent on destruction, I think of the entire continent when i look for palace locations.

therefore, these locations are what popk into my head (see attachment).

I notice this is a long way off.

I suppose we could move our palace to, say, Timeline, to be more centralized, but it's a huge project.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	caps.gif
Views:	68
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	22402  
Old August 17, 2002, 11:28   #13
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

If i was to plan extrememly generalized military plans i'd probably say take the areas in this order.

Grand Basin
Minor Plain
Minor Basin
Major Plain
Abananaba Minor

the only reason Abananaba Minor is last is because I think we could "stage" several wars there that we wouldnt even have to physically participate in. We could let them tear eachother apart for ages.

I suggest doing something like that with Iroq and Rome fairly soon (ally with Iroq). After we secure the Grand Basin (and maybe the minor plain) we could easily defend anything Abananaba Minor can throw at us.
Old August 17, 2002, 12:09   #14
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 00:13
Great Map Aro! An illustration of the concept is always of immense help.

Uber: I don't think that the cost involved in rulling all of the Anabana continent is worth it one bit: far two much time would be spent building units continuously, and the two spots you proposed are too far apart- cities in the middle would still be highly corrupt.
We need time to develop the Grand Basin- we still have huge amounts of jungle to clear, immense mines to build, great roads to lay- that is where the energies of our empire should go.

I still think it is in our best interest to take the core of germany- to secure our industrial areas, our new Iron deposits, and to give us a break into the major plains.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old August 17, 2002, 12:28   #15
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
As a warmonger bent on destruction...

GePap,
Mr. Uber just can't think in another way. He was re-elected for this.

Edit: However, we could think seriously about The Minor Plain. A real temptation…

Last edited by Aro; August 17, 2002 at 12:33.
Old August 19, 2002, 12:00   #16
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 22:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Absol-freakin'-lutely briliant!

If anyone is wondering who's whispering in the ear of the Foreign Minister, it's Mr. Gepap.

What surprised me the most was the proposal to conquer Germany. That is an ambitious undertaking that I doubt we can pull off alone. Germany's Republic form of government gives them a tremendous production advantage to our Despotic state. We will not have a tech advantage against them, and we will have to somehow acheive an advantage of numbers and (of course) tactics.

Allies must be used in this eventual war.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.