Old August 17, 2002, 02:51   #1
Sea41571
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
do you think the game is long enought?
I'm some what new to Civ III and was wanting to know , is there a way to turn off the Victory date ? I just wanna see if I Can Build and Complete evrything in a game , there's just not enought time to do it in . I've downloaded the new patch 121f . is there some thing else to do to extend the date end ? Thx
Old August 17, 2002, 02:58   #2
khyron
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Don't think so, Sea. Of course the game will allow you to play beyond the end date. No score is counted--and launching the ship after the last year did absolutely nothing in my game, so you miss out on that movie--but you can still build everything of course.
Old August 17, 2002, 03:29   #3
Sea41571
Chieftain

yeah i can keep going but, it wont count all the points after the end date. I was trying to see how many point i could rack up

ANYBODY INTERISTED IN TRYING TO CREATE ONE ??
Old August 17, 2002, 03:44   #4
khyron
Chieftain

I just took a look at the editor...I don't find anything in there to tinker with that end date. It may be hard-coded. *Would love to take a hammer and chisel to little tiny bits of the code...but then remembers he's no game designer, or even a programmer, and that's why the Firaxians get paid the big bucks* Maybe in Play the World...maybe we can look forward to it there.
Old August 17, 2002, 03:49   #5
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 07:14
The end year date really is hardcoded. The only tool allowing a change is said to be Gramphos' Civ3MT (see the Files section) that is capable of changing this in saved games, IIRC.
Old August 17, 2002, 03:54   #6
khyron
Chieftain

Could very well do the trick, Vondrack. I haven't played around too much with that, either, so I didn't want to raise hopes too much.

To simplify your search, Sea, here's a link.
http://apolyton.net/dir/index.php?si...ts=2431&cat=49
Old August 17, 2002, 04:40   #7
rob.derosa
Chieftain

Re: do you think the game is long enought?
Quote:
Originally posted by Sea41571
I'm some what new to Civ III and was wanting to know , is there a way to turn off the Victory date ? I just wanna see if I Can Build and Complete evrything in a game , there's just not enought time to do it in . I've downloaded the new patch 121f . is there some thing else to do to extend the date end ? Thx
121f is not new.

129f is new.
Old August 17, 2002, 04:58   #8
Sea41571
Chieftain

Sorry Rob I have 121F. Khyron Thx for the links to the Civ3MT , im gonna wait a while to down load 129F to many bad replys with errors in the other Threads, I'll give it a few months.
Old August 17, 2002, 10:41   #9
khyron
Chieftain

Sea--Not a problem. Hope that's helpful to you. Gramphos came up with one heck of a great tool with.

Rob, thanks for pointing the current version out to Sea, I completely missed that.
Old August 17, 2002, 11:03   #10
Ethelred
King

Quote:
I just wanna see if I Can Build and Complete evrything in a game , there's just not enought time to do it in .
There is plenty of time. While the end date is hard coded and may still be that way in PTW all you need to do is build enough workers and enough cities. If you don't have enough cities you won't have enough population producing money for tech. If you don't have workers you won't have enough shields for improvements.

You need at least nearly 1 industrious worker or 1.5 to 2 non-industrious workers per city, more if you have to deal with a lot jungle or are using slave workers who work at half rate. DO NOT automate the workers till late in the game when you may have hordes of them. Automated workers irrigate too much of the grasslands and they aren't likely to improve the squares in the most efficient order.

Even on the lowest level, Chieftan where the AI is so crippled you will have to do all the research yourself, its possible to lauch the Space Ship in the mid 1700's. On higher levels you can trade for tech and might be able to launch earlier.
Old August 17, 2002, 12:43   #11
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 23:14
LONG ENOUGH!!!???
Play on a huge map, with max civs. I played one, before they reduced the map sizes, and it took THREE 1/2 MONTHS!!
It was a GREAT game!

I reduced my map sizes after that one.

(Yes, I know its "off topic," just utilizing the pun potential of the thread title)
Old August 17, 2002, 15:04   #12
khyron
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe
Play on a huge map, with max civs. I played one, before they reduced the map sizes, and it took THREE 1/2 MONTHS!!
I still have a game on Marla's Map that I haven't finished after all these months...still pull it out from time to time when I actually want to do something epic.

Quote:
(Yes, I know its "off topic," just utilizing the pun potential of the thread title)
We'll forgive you...this time. j/k
Old August 18, 2002, 11:19   #13
candybo
Warlord

Local Time: 01:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Ethelred

There is plenty of time. While the end date is hard coded and may still be that way in PTW all you need to do is build enough workers and enough cities. If you don't have enough cities you won't have enough population producing money for tech. If you don't have workers you won't have enough shields for improvements.

Agreed. Lots of time. Just need the capabilities to do it all
Old August 18, 2002, 11:32   #14
SABRA
Civilization II Democracy Game: Exodus
Warlord

Local Time: 08:14
They should include an option to create more turns .
Old August 18, 2002, 12:32   #15
Thrawn05
King

I think the game is long enough.

The total time it takes me to finish a huge game (this if I played none stop) is about 12 hours. Usualy ending in a diplomatic victory.
Old August 18, 2002, 16:17   #16
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05
The total time it takes me to finish a huge game (this if I played none stop) is about 12 hours. Usualy ending in a diplomatic victory.
(speed freak!)
I would play 20-30 hours a week and the game would last weeks or months, even if it was a large map.

I don't know, maybe I get more involved in it than you; I'm in it for the experience, not to "get it over with."
Old August 18, 2002, 23:21   #17
khyron
Chieftain

I'm with Jaybe on this one. Yeah, I think the game is the right length, but I tend to savor the process of my inevitable victory.

Or whatever.

There are some games I don't mind brushing through, but I get into some--usually on huge maps--and it feels like it's one of those special ones that deserves that little bit of extra effort and care, that need months to play out properly. THey're rare, but they happen.

(I also have a wife that...ahem...has these demands she makes of me. )
Old August 19, 2002, 05:48   #18
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

they should include more turns , with an option top turn that on or off , so that we are all happy , ...

have a nice day
Old August 19, 2002, 06:16   #19
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 07:14
Not finishing the game within the timeframe is just a sign that you are inexperienced at playing it. As you improve your techniques then you will soon see how easy it is to reach the end of the tech tree and/or complete one of the victory conditions.
Old August 19, 2002, 06:33   #20
Deathwalker
Prince

Personally I would like to see the game slowed down. Not extended into the future just make the turns shorter so it takes more turn to get up to the fnish date?
Old August 19, 2002, 09:11   #21
NeoStar
Warlord

Local Time: 16:14
Quote:
Originally posted by panag
they should include more turns , with an option top turn that on or off , so that we are all happy , ...
That would have been the logical thing. Im surprised the additions to the editor haven't included a 'number of turns per game' tab.

Also the lack of a future age is what really kills of the modern age - which is too much like the industrial age to be that much fun. Thats one thing they should have 'borrowed' off CTP...
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old August 19, 2002, 09:59   #22
Thrawn05
King

Quote:

(speed freak!)
I would play 20-30 hours a week and the game would last weeks or months, even if it was a large map.

I don't know, maybe I get more involved in it than you; I'm in it for the experience, not to "get it over with."
Speed freak?

I take my time. Perhaps all those extra hours you spend are waiting for your next turn?
Old August 19, 2002, 10:58   #23
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Speed freak?
I take my time. Perhaps all those extra hours you spend are waiting for your next turn?
No, while I have mentioned playing a huge game on a Macintosh, most of the time I am playing on a 1.3GHz HP. Just finished a standard (large?) map game, and it still took me a month. Perhaps I just take MORE time.
Old August 19, 2002, 13:40   #24
Thrawn05
King

Quote:

No, while I have mentioned playing a huge game on a Macintosh, most of the time I am playing on a 1.3GHz HP. Just finished a standard (large?) map game, and it still took me a month. Perhaps I just take MORE time.
Well, I do automat my workers and let my governers to do the dirty work. And as I stated lots of times, I'm a builder, and usualy get the annoying Culture Win screen (I still play up to 2050AD afterwards). I should stop playing that, but I want the AI the chance to do the same as well.

Also I always play Huge maps with only 10 civs. 16 is just too crowded.
Old August 19, 2002, 13:51   #25
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Well, I do automat my workers and let my governers to do the dirty work. ...
I don't do either of these things. That may be a large part of the difference.
Old August 19, 2002, 14:00   #26
Thrawn05
King

Quote:

I don't do either of these things. That may be a large part of the difference.
I would too, but I'm not a mouse user.

And don't forget, that 12 hours is spread out for like a week. The most I've every done is 3 hours straight.
Old August 21, 2002, 05:05   #27
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by NeoStar

That would have been the logical thing. Im surprised the additions to the editor haven't included a 'number of turns per game' tab.

Also the lack of a future age is what really kills of the modern age - which is too much like the industrial age to be that much fun. Thats one thing they should have 'borrowed' off CTP...
hi ,

indeed they could have , BUT the best would have been to improve that a bit , and to give us more options on that !

more and more people start in a certain era and with more money , so that by the time its year "zero" they can start to make some serious war , ...

also they should include an option to have the "end" postponed , it would also be great for scenario's , ..

have a nic day all of you
Old August 21, 2002, 07:15   #28
Galvatron
Civilization II PBEMPtWDG Glory of War
Prince

Local Time: 00:14
Would be a great idea to play on and on and on till the spaceship is launched. Yeahh you can play on but we all want to see our names in the Hall of Fame and therefore want the score-points to continue. In the end that's why we play the game:

High-score wohoo

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.