Old August 17, 2002, 07:14   #1
Gnool
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human Hive
Warlord

Local Time: 16:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I've got an idea for a story, would someone care to write it :D
I thought it might be interesting to read a story that shows what might have happened if Captain Garland wasn't assassinated and everyone landed on Chiron & flourished as one group. I'm not willing to write this story, however, because I'm not sure that I could do it as well as a regular contributor, and I'm somewhat busy with school So Kassiopeia, write this j/k
Gnool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2002, 10:49   #2
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 09:15
Quote:
So Kassiopeia, write this
Why me?
I think this has been done before. I have recollection of reading a story about the Chironians with Capt. Garland (or at least the mission hadn't gone to pieces). Besides, I usually need a bit more then a one single idea for a story.
Old August 17, 2002, 10:52   #3
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 00:15
I won't write it myself, but I must say this: Kassiopeia...you are on at the same time as I am again...this is incredibly frightening.
History Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2002, 11:14   #4
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Oh come on History, it has been a while since this happened the last time.

I have crystal clear memory that I read the 'Unity made it' story from the Centaurian Tales at www.apolyton.net/smac . I just can't seem to find it anymore. Blah.
Old August 17, 2002, 20:23   #5
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Our old friend LordLMP proposed something similar, more than a year ago now.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=21123

Reading the topic, it seems familiar to me for some reason. I may already have been lurking here at that point, but not registered (Apolyton kills memory capacity).
Old August 17, 2002, 23:11   #6
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 01:15
IIRC. LordMP suggested a story along those lines and everyone debated and only one story was ever written. But I can't remember what it was and it's not in the AC news page. Can anyone help out here.

BTW, just because its been done doesnt mean it cant be done again.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Sprayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2002, 23:31   #7
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

I can't find the actual story, either. There're some links that purport to lead to it in that thread, but their destination is dead. I'll keep looking, because I distinctly remember reading it.
Old August 18, 2002, 02:56   #8
Gnool
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human Hive
Warlord

Quote:
I'll keep looking, because I distinctly remember reading it
that's good, because I wanna read it

Quote:
Why me?
Because I've read one of your stories & it was good, so I'm guessing your others are too
Gnool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2002, 11:42   #9
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Gnool
Because I've read one of your stories & it was good, so I'm guessing your others are too

It's just that the thought has rarely crossed my mind and I have little ideas about it. It'd turn out pretty boring, I think. A story can't be carried out interesting with this idea alone. It needs more stuff to it.

When people read a scifi story, the main reason for them to read it is usually the characters and their adventures, not the new ideas or technological gimmicks (even if they'd try to deny it).

They are just there to make the author more comfortable and to cover plotholes. Well, I guess there's more then that.

Quote:
Our old friend LordLMP
:smirk:
Old August 18, 2002, 11:55   #10
Kassiopeia
Emperor

The story's toasted like charmon1 a day ago (posted two I hate Apolyton -threads with that login, then one with a DL ).

1. EvilTwin's last post was in March 02 = He could be dead for all we care.
2. There are no links to any website related to him.
3. He's (or "his", ermmm?) webspace (where the story was placed in) is gone (closely related to 1.))

(what's with all the brackets?)

Therefore, unless someone has a copy of the story on his/her hard drive, it's gone for good.

Gets me a kinda eerie feeling. The story's lost in cyberspace, but it still exists - in a way - in our memories. I'm getting all existential now.

Last edited by Kassiopeia; August 18, 2002 at 12:00.
Kassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2002, 03:52   #11
Mr. President
Emperor

I thought I read it in the SMAC section (apolyton.net/smac or, the old address was I think civilization.gamestats.com/smacor something like that). This is really weird. Although I suppose it's to be expected in cyberspace (damn computers! Damn the Internet! BURN IT ALL!!)

And I really believe we need a :smirk: smiley.
Old August 19, 2002, 07:32   #12
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Blazes! I've got an idea! Maybe even a good idea!

(oohs and aahs can be heard from the crowd)

Me this morning (when placing dishes to the washing machine) ->

And me this afternoon (during my English class) ->

Old August 19, 2002, 07:38   #13
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Hm. It'll start with the words "I am the man who was supposed to kill Captain Garland." And the main character shall be called Zachary McNeill.
Old August 19, 2002, 19:46   #14
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 02:15
And a new thread shall be begun for this new work, so that all may gaze freely upon its manifest brilliance.

And lo, I shall look upon and know that it is good, yea verily amen.
Old August 19, 2002, 20:29   #15
Sovereign
Prince

Leave it to Kass, the Master of Writing!

By the way, Alinestra Covelia, who's that girl avatar? She seems familiar somehow, a cartoon or a book or something?
Old August 20, 2002, 01:57   #16
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Quote:
Sarah Jaydo's Journal
Why have we come to the stars? Why didn’t we surrender when we had the chance? Are we so blind, that we believe this new world will be different, immune to suffering and crime and violence?
The Unity mission was a feeble candle flickering in a blasted night. We rode this illusion into the sky, and now we will die here, or, perhaps worse, die on Planet. Those of us onboard rode an illusion into the night; those who stayed behind took their chances on a dying world.
As for now, we continue to do what humans have always done. We eat, sleep, make love, hone our skills, pass the time. And deep down we wait for someone, some special human, to rise above it all and make the thousands of years of history, of suffering, all worth it. To enlighten us, by which I mean end our pain, heal our wounds, take away the uncertainty.
But I have seen the sweep of history, and we are no better off now than we have ever been. Just more aware. Planet will be no different.
Unless...
Journey to Centauri

I look forward to seeing your story Kass
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Sprayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2002, 06:40   #17
Mr. President
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sovereign

Leave it to Kass, the Master of Writing!

By the way, Alinestra Covelia, who's that girl avatar? She seems familiar somehow, a cartoon or a book or something?
It's anime; looks almost like one of the characters from Sailor Moon. To me, anyway.

Believe it or not, that passage from Journey to Centauri surprised me when I first read it. Until that point, I thought that if anyone was going to kill Garland it would have been Santiago.

Bring on the story!
Old August 20, 2002, 10:46   #18
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
I look forward to seeing your story Kass
Urhem. Since Captain Garland won't die, it wasn't necessarily Sarah Jaydo who tried to kill him. But thanks for pointing that out; I was going to check Journey about this.

Stop giving me any pressure. I shouldnt've read this thread at all.
Old August 20, 2002, 11:16   #19
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 02:15
Note that Garland doesn't actually die in the Ely fiction! It's only assumed that he does, because the Unity falls apart and he doesn't turn up in any known escape pod.

Imagine if he'd really made it out with a handful of good recruits and wants to take over the UNITY mission again!

What a story that would be - all the faction leaders suddenly find that their right to lead has been stripped as the rightful leader returns! Even Lal would have to stand down as the leader of the UNP and give it back to Garland!

Sprayber - as for my avatar, she's the same green-haired girl that I had for an avatar earlier. The character comes from a Japanese anime series called "Urusei Yatsura" (lit. "Those Noisy Aliens") and the character herself is an alien princess named Lum (or sometimes Lamu).

If any of you have seen Urusei Yatsura, I'm sure you'll agree it's a great cartoon!
Old August 20, 2002, 11:35   #20
Kassiopeia
Emperor

... I think I have a mental image of Urusei Yatsura, but I'll keep from posting it since I'll probably just make myself look silly.

Quote:
What a story that would be - all the faction leaders suddenly find that their right to lead has been stripped as the rightful leader returns! Even Lal would have to stand down as the leader of the UNP and give it back to Garland!
That wasn't exactly what I had in mind. But something kinda like that *is* involved in my scenario.

Hm. This requires much more pre-work then I had thought of in the first place.
Old August 30, 2002, 07:04   #21
Mr. President
Emperor

In a similar vein, this came to me when I was watching a show about space shuttles earlier:

What if, sometime after the Unity breakup, a second mission landed on Planet, one not sent by the U.N. but rather a corporation or a national space agency?
Old August 30, 2002, 07:10   #22
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Didn't Sprayber write something along these lines a year ago, pretty much the same time I wrote The Homeworld?

Edit: No it's not a plug, I remember it because Sprayber mentioned i in the commentary thread for it.

Here. The Watchers by Sprayber. Incomplete, I'm afraid.

Last edited by Kassiopeia; August 30, 2002 at 07:22.
Kassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2002, 23:43   #23
Mr. President
Emperor

Ah, I see! Maybe I'll do one like it after I finish The Hunt. I'd like to get that done, as I just had an idea last night for how it should end.