Old August 17, 2002, 09:33   #1
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 02:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Machiavelli Institute: Ally Shield
I've never tried this in one of my games, but I think this strategy could work:

I propose we use Persia and Germany as a sort of shield. If we can make allies of them, they would be in the path of two of the stronger nations in Abananaba Major: England and the Aztecs. That leave us to deal with Greece. Basically, if we can satisfy Bismark with a few wars, he won't have time or inclination to attack us. These are not long-term alliances. Once in the late Medieval Age or a little later, we'll have a sizable infrastructur whereas they and their targets won't. We could take a large chunk of Abananaba Major, hopefully eliminating the civs we attack. We don't need (or want) this region for a power base, because of the horrible corruption. That's ok. We can pretty much leave it alone, because next we'll be attacking Greece and the French Remnant. If we manage to kill them, it will be Us vs. Abananaba Minor, which we'll probably have been stirring up anyway. I think we would win that one.

I don't usually play at Emperor or on huge maps (actually I spend virtually no time playing anymore), so I don't know if this is feasible.
Old August 17, 2002, 09:50   #2
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:15
I don't know... Xerxes and Bismarck are after all the most double-crossing bastard in the game to the best of my understanding.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 17, 2002, 09:57   #3
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 03:15
I agree with Shiber, especially about Otto. He’s really an annoying f%$@ bastard.
Old August 17, 2002, 10:06   #4
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

However we might wanna send Persia/Germany/both to war with England. England probably won't attack us back because they'll be too busy with Germany and Persia and we're too far away anyway, and while Persia will be fighting the English their western borders will be completely undefended and ours for the taking. We could take their iron (which will prove to be difficult since that's close to the English border and they'll have units there ready to counter-attack) or try to take Persepolis and the Pyramids (which will prove to be just as difficult since it's a large city).
The downside is that this will lower our integrity.

Any thoughts anyone?
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 17, 2002, 10:20   #5
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

If we could find some way to make England goes for Germans first, or vice versa… Would be funny to see they prune themselves. Something like "take a chair and enjoy the show. They are solving our problems for us...".
Well… as you can see, I have this little problem with Bismarck. He looks like a psychotic!
Old August 17, 2002, 11:33   #6
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro
If we could find some way to make England goes for Germans first, or vice versa… Would be funny to see they prune themselves. Something like "take a chair and enjoy the show. They are solving our problems for us...".
Well… as you can see, I have this little problem with Bismarck. He looks like a psychotic!
hi ,

and at the end we should move in and take what ever is left , ....héhéh , ....

have a nice day
Old August 17, 2002, 11:36   #7
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 01:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
However we might wanna send Persia/Germany/both to war with England. England probably won't attack us back because they'll be too busy with Germany and Persia and we're too far away anyway, and while Persia will be fighting the English their western borders will be completely undefended and ours for the taking. We could take their iron (which will prove to be difficult since that's close to the English border and they'll have units there ready to counter-attack) or try to take Persepolis and the Pyramids (which will prove to be just as difficult since it's a large city).
The downside is that this will lower our integrity.

Any thoughts anyone?
The British couldnt stand up to Germany and Persia. It's basically giving Persia and Germany more cities (and we'd propbably pay them for it too).
Old August 17, 2002, 11:37   #8
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro
Again, if the English started fighting Germany it wouldn't really be a "prune" job. It'd be more of a "transplant" job. Germany (or England, but not likely) would acquire more cities (if not all the enemies).
Old August 17, 2002, 12:19   #9
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I agree with those who say that Germany and Persia are allies that cannot be trusted... the only way to ensure that they won't fight us is by setting them to war with another civ, and Uber's right, having Persia and Germany attack England would probably just crush England and strenghen Persia and Germany...

Still, we should be ready to set Persia and Germany against England and see how much it'd cost, just in case we need to stop either civ from declaring war on us in the near future... we should also check on how much it'd cost to have Persia attack Germany and vice versa, should one of them attack us... again, just in case.

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I'll come back later and clarify if need be when I've got more time...

-- adaMada
Old August 17, 2002, 12:41   #10
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

and at the end we should move in and take what ever is left , ....héhéh , ....

have a nice day
Well, that’s what I thought… But I can’t decide if this is evil or just naïf
Old August 18, 2002, 12:02   #11
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro

Well, that’s what I thought… But I can’t decide if this is evil or just naïf
hi ,

well , actually just plain simple "darwins law" , those other species take up land that we need , .....

héhéh

have a nice day
Old August 18, 2002, 22:41   #12
Trevman
Warlord

Local Time: 22:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Actuallly, I've used this stategy a lot in my games although they're mostly at monarch and warlord. I find that it works great until MPP's come around and you're allies get dragged into a war against you because of some crummy backwards civ.
If you don't feel the slightist bit joyful seeing the Iraqis dancing in the street, then you are lost to the radical left. If you don't feel the slightest bit bad that we had to use force to do this, then you are lost to the radical right.