Old August 17, 2002, 11:42   #1
WarVoid
King

Local Time: 06:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Down and Out in Beverly Hills
As some people may have noticed, I have been very inactive here as of late. A sudden shift in my status, whereupon I was very active.

This is not by my choice.

About two weeks ago my brand new and delightful computer was fried during a massive electrical storm. Not only that, but my home suffered some damage as well from being without power for over 12 hours and lightning strikes.

Regardless, I spent the next week haggling with the insurance company to get the computer repaired. The second week still haggling and finally getting it over to a repair shop, determined by the illustrious insurance agents, miles away from me and letting them fix it.

Now, on week three, I am still without a computer, without access to my normal e-mail, FTP and without ICQ. I am currently posting from a 200MHZ 14k dial-up laptop. So believe me when I say I am in utter and absolute HELL.

It will be at least another week before I am back fully online. Once that happens I will be able to square everything away and answer the probable piles of questions and requests that have amassed in my absence.

Until that time, I bid you all adieu and keep on Civing!
Old August 17, 2002, 21:04   #2
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 01:15
so you mean that final judgement will be passed down on all us spammers then?
Old August 18, 2002, 00:08   #3
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 16:15
Re: Down and Out in Beverly Hills
Quote:
Originally posted by WarVoid
About two weeks ago my brand new and delightful computer was fried during a massive electrical storm.
I had that happen to me a few years ago

The lesson was that while surge protectors protect your computer from shocks coming from the power lines, they do nothing to stop the shocks which get in via the phone lines
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old August 18, 2002, 13:39   #4
klesh
King

Local Time: 02:15
Re: Re: Down and Out in Beverly Hills
Quote:
Originally posted by Case
The lesson was that while surge protectors protect your computer from shocks coming from the power lines, they do nothing to stop the shocks which get in via the phone lines
Unless of course you have the surge protector with the phone jacks included on the top. My old University used to have a really nice one in their comp lab...

-FMK.
Old August 19, 2002, 15:41   #5
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Warvoid so does this mean your B5 scenario is gone?
Old August 24, 2002, 15:01   #6
WarVoid
King

Local Time: 06:15
Well, for anyone that's interested, i'm back and fully operational.

I'll be answering the large pile of e-mails I have very shortly *waves to Markos and Leo*.

And ANZAC - Parts of the B5 scen were wiped out, but luckily I still have most of it intact, including the units I drew.
Old August 24, 2002, 15:56   #7
The ANZAC
King

Quote:
including the units I drew.
Yeah without the units it wouldn't really be worthwhile.
Old August 25, 2002, 04:15   #8
Jimmywax
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 00:15
Quote:
Now, on week three, I am still without a computer, without access to my normal e-mail, FTP and without ICQ. I am currently posting from a 200MHZ 14k dial-up laptop. So believe me when I say I am in utter and absolute HELL.

It will be at least another week before I am back fully online. Once that happens I will be able to square everything away and answer the probable piles of questions and requests that have amassed in my absence.

I am very drunk right now and I have snuck onto t freinds computers so i am orry if no sencse this makes but I feel your pain.
Old August 25, 2002, 22:09   #9
Jacobite1688
Spanish Civers
Prince

Local Time: 00:15
Quote:
As some people may have noticed, I have been very inactive here as of late. A sudden shift in my status, (compared to when) I was very active.

This is not by my choice...
Now, on week three, I am still without a computer, without access to my normal e-mail, FTP and without ICQ. So believe me when I say I am in utter and absolute HELL.

It will be at least another week before I am back fully online. Once that happens I will be able to square everything away...

Strangely, this quote could have come out of my mouth word-for-word right now. To make a long story short:
As some of you may know, I am concluding a move of my household across the state of Illinois to Chicago. About three weeks ago, something went wrong in the whole damn thing and we have been/are now stuck with out so much as a telephone.

I apologize sincerely for not being able to alert you all sooner, esp. my PBEM comrades.

As one of the chief complainers about the progress of PBEMs, I am truely embarrased about the situation. On the plus side, when I get back on line, it will be with DSL. I'll tell the whole story to anybody who cares to hear it when I am back on the boards. Right now, my PC is in boxs in an eight flat three hours from where I am typing this.

Keep the SL flag flyin'!