Old August 17, 2002, 11:57   #1
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 08:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
An urgent matter !
I've just seen something horrible. Remember that Persian Settler-stack roaming in our territory ?
I've just imagined it's going to settle in citysite #1 as per Jonny's plans (I think Will5001 considers it a valuable city as well). Here's a picture :

The stack will be there in 10 turns.

I imagined solutions to avoid that. Among them, we have :
- Building a settler in Termina, rather than a spearman. It won't work, because we'd need 14-15 turns to get there

- Building a settler in Tassagrad. 10 turns needed just to build it. Too late already.

- Building a settler in BHQ instead of a Temple. According to my calculation, we'd have 2 turns ahead. But the operation is risky, because Persians could settle in a slightly nearer location, before us. Plus, we'd lose all our work on BHQ's temple, which is bad for our culture and border cohesion.

- Building a settler in Del Monte, instead of a barracks. We'd waste 2 shields, but the settler will be ready in 3 turns (because our pop will expand to 3 in 3 turns). It will settle in 5 turns. This will also help preventing the Greeks going there).

Among all these solutions, only 2 are working (BHQ and Del Monte), and only Del Monte's one offers enough guarantees, and won't cost us a much needed temple (it will cost us a less needed barracks in this remote city).
So I say the next city planner should change production in Del Monte to settler at the very beginning of next turnchat / thread.

Edit : taken Del Monte's population growth into account.

Last edited by Spiffor; August 17, 2002 at 13:13.
Old August 17, 2002, 12:07   #2
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 06:15
Hmmn
Perhaps you should talk to the SMC about a possible blockade if it's going to be close. Workers could do the job, as were about to go to war and all.
Old August 17, 2002, 12:09   #3
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 03:15

Spiffor:
You're pretty right!
Old August 17, 2002, 12:12   #4
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 02:15
a Del Monte settler looks like the only good solution
Old August 17, 2002, 12:14   #5
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 00:15
I don't think the issue is that threatening: we can use our units to slow the persians, plus, even if they make it, such a city would easily fall to our culture. Even if it is a short-term inconvinience, it is no more a long term threat than Munich.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old August 17, 2002, 12:14   #6
Donal Graeme
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 22:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Where is City Site #1 supposed to be? perhaps there will be another way of dealing with the problem, including a blockade.
Old August 17, 2002, 12:14   #7
Spiffor

OPD : a blockade could buy us quite some time (enough to make sure a BHQ's settler settles without problem). But it won't be enough for Termina's or Tassagrad's settler to be in time.
Plus, it would leave our conquered cities defenseless, during our war with France (the blockade, to be effective, would need us to move our units along with the Persians), thus letting the cities defenseless for a longer time)

EDIT : Donal, city #1 is supposed to be in the square where something horribly blurry is written in red, on the upper left of the picture

EDIT #2 : Gepap, the problem is that this is a good land (important to grab quickly). Plus, this land is surrounded by Greek cities, and the Persian city there will be more likely to fall for Greek culture (proximity of Athens, scientific trait, AI production bonuses means faster libraries / temples, thus higher culture)
Old August 17, 2002, 12:29   #8
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 01:15
Spiffor's right (why do I feel like I've been saying that a lot recently? ). We should go with the Del Monte plan, and settle there before the Persians do. We should also keep an eye out for any other settler stacks, especially since persia's got a ROP (though a lack of one never seemed to stop the AI from settling wherever it wanted before).

-- adaMada
Old August 17, 2002, 12:41   #9
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

I first spotted that settler some time ago, when first making my plans for expansion, but I didn't know where it was going.

But now, it seems it is headed for Site 1. After all, that seems to be the only viable city site left in the area.

We must build the Del Monte settler!
Old August 17, 2002, 12:54   #10
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Blast. He's right. Del Monte should at once be used to build that bloody little settler. It's the only way. Filthy Persians.
Old August 17, 2002, 13:07   #11
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

One problem, a settler takes 2 people delmonte is at 2, it would diband del monte right? Anyway if they do get the city we or the greeks most likely get it through cultural sssimilation later.
Aggie
Old August 17, 2002, 13:07   #12
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 18:15
10 turns, huh? I'm still trying to find that thread that details where exactly City site #1 is. When I've found it I'll edit this and give a response (I'd better get into the habit of it...).

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old August 17, 2002, 13:11   #13
Spiffor

Aggie : you're right, I forgot this important detail. If we switch to settler now, it'll be produced in 3 turns rather than one.

But it doesn't change the main part : even if DelMonte's settler settles in 5 turns rather than 3, he'll still be ahead of Persia's (and hopefuly ahead of any Greek one)

I'll edit my first post to take demographic growth into account.

EDIT : MWIA, you can find IE plans there : http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=58481
Old August 17, 2002, 13:24   #14
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

I count 12 turns - could you please check when that settler will arrive at site 1? I count 6 turns 'till it arrives on the Dyes 2x NE of Gaia, and then 2 to the road, then 4 from there. If I am missing another way, please let me know.

Assuming they will get there in 10 or 12 turns, I support the settling of that site ASAP - I thought maybe we could flip it, but that site is too close to Greece and too far from our cultural centre for that.

Old August 17, 2002, 13:41   #15
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I was doing some thinking and I agree the settler is heading there as i see no other objective, however I think the likelyhood is that a settler from either america or greece will get there first(lets hope america). One question how long has boston been 1, if is a short time most certainly that settle is on the way to that point. I would concede that city right now since unless i am wrong(and I could be) somebody else wll beat us to that spot even if we produce a settler in 3 turns. But if it makes you feel better the persian will also get denied, though as i said earlier i think that city is doomed from a culture standpoint for anybody except us or greece. One worry also, if the persians are denied that city will they use the settle and go for uber island with a galley.
Darn ROP, I would have opposed it greatly if i had been up to date then.
Aggie
Old August 17, 2002, 13:51   #16
Spiffor

The stack is E-E of dyes NE-NE of Gaia. It will arrive there in 2 turns then.

Edit : Aggie : I think Boston is because Washington was founded a short while ago. Except if Americans make a settler very soon in Chicago (pop 3), the Yanks have a very little chance to get it before the Persians or Greeks.

Last edited by Spiffor; August 17, 2002 at 13:56.
Old August 17, 2002, 14:13   #17
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 06:15
I think the Yanks will be/are building alot of setters as they have millitary and aren't building a wonder.

Also I haven't loaded up the game but I think we have a few workers SW,SW of Gaia which could slow the stack down. Especially if a ither units could deflect their path.
Old August 17, 2002, 15:25   #18
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Yeah, build from Del Monte. We can build a Barracks there later.

If we build there in time, what would the Persian stack do?
Old August 17, 2002, 15:26   #19
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

I support the settler build.

If the Persians do move the settler team back, it will still take fair amount of time for them to get them anywhere else.
Old August 17, 2002, 15:34   #20
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 07:15
Yes, build a settler in Del Monte. It's by far the best solution. There's nothing more important than settlers in the early game. A barracks in a pretty corrupt city won't do much good. And I don't expect that we need it soon to heal troups. Our Archers are soon obsolete anyway.
Old August 17, 2002, 15:50   #21
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

QUICK! DECLARE WAR ON PERSIA AND POPRUSH SWORDSMEN ALL AROUND...

i mean, sure. build the settler.
Old August 18, 2002, 10:37   #22
Spiffor

Godking :
Now that you're the city planner, what is your stance about this ? You are the one who gets to decide, and to get the thing done.
Old August 18, 2002, 10:40   #23
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Yea, GodKing, I think it's time for an "Emergency Resolution" or something .

-- adaMada
Old August 18, 2002, 11:10   #24
SABRA
Civilization II Democracy Game: Exodus
Warlord

We should build there , but we should also send a unit with it , just in case the Persians have any funny ideas .
Old August 18, 2002, 11:17   #25
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

There's no chance they'll use the spearman they sent with the settler to attack our settler. They know their settler will fall as well when we counterattack.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 18, 2002, 11:19   #26
adaMada
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SABRA
We should build there , but we should also send a unit with it , just in case the Persians have any funny ideas .
Though I agree that defending the city once we have it is (obviously) important, I say go with the settler as soon as we've got it -- the Persians won't attack it with a settler/spearman stack, and I don't think any nation would attack the single settler/city 'just because' -- they're more likely to declare war on us for something else, and then attack that point as a weak point.

Basically, as long as we get protection there before too long, I think we're ok...

-- adaMada
Old August 18, 2002, 11:32   #27
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Agreed. Our city will be safe for a while from all except barbs. In Civ3 the AI seems to be a lot more for peace, that is unless there is some reason for hostility. We have not IIRC broken any treaties, we are not threatening in terms of size, and we have had no prior conflict with Persia or any allies they may have (ignoring America) - we are OK.

Old August 18, 2002, 11:34   #28
SABRA
Civilization II Democracy Game: Exodus
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by adaMada

Though I agree that defending the city once we have it is (obviously) important, I say go with the settler as soon as we've got it -- the Persians won't attack it with a settler/spearman stack, and I don't think any nation would attack the single settler/city 'just because' -- they're more likely to declare war on us for something else, and then attack that point as a weak point.

Basically, as long as we get protection there before too long, I think we're ok...

-- adaMada
Indeed we should go , but as soon as we got a unit we should send it , and in the mean time we should build something there .
Otherwise its like an easy gift for the AI .
Old August 18, 2002, 11:52   #29
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

We can't wait until we can build a spearman to guard this town and as MWIA says it's very unlikely that any other civ will try to capture the settler.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 18, 2002, 11:57   #30
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
We can't wait until we can build a spearman to guard this town and as MWIA says it's very unlikely that any other civ will try to capture the settler.
hi ,

well we should send a unit out AFTER the settler is gone , or when the new town is build , as soon as we have a unit somewhere we should send it to our new town , ....

have a nice day