Old August 18, 2002, 12:06   #31
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Obviously.
(no sarcasm meant)
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 18, 2002, 12:37   #32
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
Obviously.
(no sarcasm meant)
hi ,

huh , none was given !

, the persians might get funny if we dont put someone there , the AI loves to go after them , its like a sign of weakness , ....

and we just cant have that right now !

we should also go to Uber Isle as soon as we can , ....

have a nice day
Old August 18, 2002, 14:28   #33
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 01:15
I would move the spearman currently in del monte with the settler. Mainly because I don't want to temp our dear neighbors and also the new city would have less visibility around it, so if an attack was planned we couldn't react quickly. Then we build a spearman somewhere( if we want veteran it can't be delmonte). In the event of attack a spearman could quickly get to delmonte so leaving it undefended is without risk. We could if we want move a spearman from a city that can spare it in a very safe area(in the capital area).
Aggie
Old August 18, 2002, 14:53   #34
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 02:15
My first reaction was to switch DM from barracks to a grainery. This would let it grow fast and turn it into a worker factory or post barracks into a killing factory (whichever we needed more of at the time.)

The persians will reach the area in 10-12 turns (11 if they are going to the same site as us), depending on where exactly they are going.

Grainery will take 14 turns from now to complete in DM. Not a good thing if we are trying to beat the persians. Plus it will take approximatly 3 turns from that point to construct a settler (assuming it is size 5) and 3 turns to move into position. Not acceptable unless we can delay the persians by 10 turns.

Poly just finished its last order, and will need 5 turns to build a settler. It will take 10 turns (including river crossings - we do not yet have engineering) to make it to site 1. Good, but not good enough.

Uber, when do you plan to try for Uber Isle? I would like to do the settler now so it would be ready in time for our fleet to return from the Paris Campaign. Hopefully we can get one across into safe waters, explore enough that we want to settle there, then to the ship jump maneuver to get the settler across safely. Otherwise, I will rededicate the next build in Poly for something more immediatly usefull.

BHQ as spiffor noted above is possible, but I give them only a 1 move margen, not 2. Thus the error is not worth it.

OK. I am in reluctant concurance. I want a grainery bad in DM, but I want the land even more. Switching production in DM, with a grainery next on the list.

Lets get the worker near DM (who should be finishing is road next turn) to start the road toward site 1, as we will need the luxuries. Also, if uber would be so kind as to release one of the spears from poly we can start him on his long road to his new garison assignment.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old August 18, 2002, 15:17   #35
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 01:15
I was doing some analysis. We can move a spearman(the fortified one) from tass north to gaia in 3 turns. It is also 3 turns from gaia to delmonte, so lets start doing that now. Yes that would leave tass gaurded by one warrior but considering postion this isn't an issue and with temple/lux it is good with one unit unti 4 i believe.
Aggie
Old August 18, 2002, 16:36   #36
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 06:15
Have we got a RoP agreement with Persia?

If not we could demand that they move thier stinking gypsy off our land the miniute it steps foot within our borders. (JK)

So do we have a RoP?
Old August 18, 2002, 16:45   #37
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Yes we do.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 19, 2002, 05:28   #38
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Yes we do.
hi ,

great let them check out our positions , before they attack , .....

guys we need to check out that Uber Isle , ....

have a nice day
Old August 19, 2002, 07:13   #39
Shiber
Emperor

Panag, enough with Uber Isle okay? We already have a plan to settle it: as soon as the galleys are done offloading our swordsmen to French shores one will travel to Uber Isle and start exploring its shores and the other will grab a settler at Apolytonia. Then we'll do a "settler hop" between both galleys to make sure that the settler doesn't sink and then we'll settle Uber Isle in an appropriate spot.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 19, 2002, 07:36   #40
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Could you please explain what a "settler hop" is please ? (sorry, I'm not used to galleys)
Old August 19, 2002, 08:00   #41
Shiber
Emperor

It's a nickname for an idea that someone has suggested. Basically we'll have one galley near Uber Isle and one galley near our shores loaded with a settler and maybe a spearman. We'll bring the two close together in sea and then move the settler from one galley to another so the galley that will carry him will make it to a coastal tile before the turn ends. In the worst case, the galley that delivered the settler will sink, but at least we can assure that the settler won't sink.

Anyway, this is off topic so if anyone has any more questions I suggest that he opens a separate thread.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 21, 2002, 05:18   #42
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
It's a nickname for an idea that someone has suggested. Basically we'll have one galley near Uber Isle and one galley near our shores loaded with a settler and maybe a spearman. We'll bring the two close together in sea and then move the settler from one galley to another so the galley that will carry him will make it to a coastal tile before the turn ends. In the worst case, the galley that delivered the settler will sink, but at least we can assure that the settler won't sink.

Anyway, this is off topic so if anyone has any more questions I suggest that he opens a separate thread.
hi ,

the idea is great of the hop

OT , well if that island is large and it can produce an army we can use elsewhere its not OT , ...

BUT , you are right it should go in a seperate thread

have a nice day
Old August 21, 2002, 07:03   #43
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
the idea is great of the hop
Thanks, but it's not mine.
I would have credited whoever came up with it only I don't remember who it was...
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 21, 2002, 07:07   #44
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 07:15
Even when the Persian settler would not have been present, it is still better to build a settler in Del Monte rather than barracks.

Not every city in our empire needs barracks! How many have we got already? 4? 5? Enough to produce plenty of veteran units!
Old August 21, 2002, 07:42   #45
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

We have 4 barracks, in Apolyton, Termina, Tassagrad and BHQ. Building one in Ubergorsk would be a good idea too (we must make Ubergorsk the as strong as possible)
Old August 22, 2002, 12:17   #46
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

, 4 is a small number , imagine we have to do upgrades during a time of war , ....

but agreed for now we should get that settler out first

have a nice day