View Poll Results: Read my first post, then vote
I have bought all addons, and can't wait for Unleashed to be released... 0 0%
I have stopped buying the addons, would be interesting if Maxis started doing something else 3 23.08%
I have only bought 1-2 addons, they should have stopped long time ago, and spent their time on something else 5 38.46%
Addons? The game has addons? 1 7.69%
What is the Sims? 1 7.69%
If they make an addon with bananas, then I'd be happy 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 17, 2002, 16:27   #1
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 08:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Sims addon and on and on...
Just want to know if I'm the only one around, who's getting tired of Maxis keep making new addons for the sims...

Now they are making another addon (suprise :rolleyes ): The Sims - Unleashed (Which includes animals and some more things to do in the garden)

I play the game from time to time, but I haven't bought the last many addons (Don't want to spend tons of money for a game, I only play once every two weeks)...

What's your oppinion on this?
Old August 17, 2002, 17:19   #2
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 06:16
The number of add-ons are getting ridiculous. I think there are about 4 or five right now... and you can't download objects made with a higher version, so that makes your original version useless... They should package the game (I have yet to see a package with addons)
Old August 17, 2002, 17:47   #3
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
The number of add-ons are getting ridiculous. I think there are about 4 or five right now... and you can't download objects made with a higher version, so that makes your original version useless... They should package the game (I have yet to see a package with addons)
They have made some packages, though not the same thing as gold editions of other games...As the second addon was released, they made an Anniversary Edition (Which includes The Sims and Livin' Large...I bought that one...which was the only thing about The Sims I bought...), as they released the third addon, they made a party packade (Don't know the name of that one), which includes The Sims and the House Party addon (Livin' Large wasn't included, as far as I know)...

It's number 5 addon they are about to release

Off topic:
How come I got two mails for one reply in this thread?
Old August 17, 2002, 23:44   #4
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 17:16
I got the original with the first 2 add-ons included. I'm not sure what it was called either, my box has long since been recycled.
I also got Hot Date (because my fiance wanted it).

She's also interested in the latest add-on, but if she wants it she can buy it herself!
Old August 17, 2002, 23:54   #5
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 00:16
when I tried Sims my computer could not handle it

I have not tried it since (I have better computer games to spend my time on)

Jon Miller
Old August 18, 2002, 00:22   #6
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 14:16
Couldn't care less really.

The Sims bores me.
Old August 18, 2002, 14:22   #7
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 06:16
Urban- you should try downloading special units and creating stories.

I had Inspector Clouseau fighting a Terrorist Cell leader X and being informed by a talking Moose

I also had Darth Vader and Adolph Hitler sharing a pad. along with some stormtroopers and a pixie
Old August 18, 2002, 16:41   #8
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 09:16
Well the addons are driving my little sister nuts. She can't decide which one to buy. In the end it really doesn't matter though. She can't play since I'm all the time on Apolyton.
But the Star Wars skins DC mentioned I could try.
Old August 18, 2002, 18:29   #9
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

I like challenging myself with the Sims. I start a family of 8 people and try to get them to eventually have a large house filled with the best of everything. Initially though, they will have a house with only 8 beds, a fridge, toilet and shower. Maybe some seating if I can afford it then, but no wallpaper or floor tiles yet, as 20,000 doesn't go too far considering you spend most of it on land.

I then get my people jobs, start improving the house by adding floor tiles (which usually takes a few days considering their starting income), then wallpaper, more toilets and showers, and all those other useful things in life. It is quite difficult at the beginning as their mood is constantly being dragged down from their pathetic house, their initial jobs pay poorly, and have cheap beds so spend a long time sleeping. They don't have many skills they can increase yet, and as they can't use a stove (or will cause a fire), their food doesn't fill them up.

But for me, thats fun.
Old August 18, 2002, 22:29   #10
MosesPresley
Prince

Local Time: 01:16
I like the Sims, but I won't buy any addons until they release some kind of combo gold edition.

What I like to do is make Sims who look like characters from TV shows. I have Sanford and Son in one house and the Bunkers from All in the Family in another.
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
—Orson Welles as Harry Lime
Old August 19, 2002, 00:53   #11
Skanky Burns

I normally have a male dressed as a stormtrooper, and 7 females wearing nice outfits.
Old August 19, 2002, 05:26   #12
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 07:16
I may get round to buying the Sims eventually, especially if it turns out their interactivity with SimCity 4 is more than just superficial. If I did, I'd want a bundled set rather than just the basic game.
Old August 19, 2002, 07:43   #13
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
I like challenging myself with the Sims. I start a family of 8 people and try to get them to eventually have a large house filled with the best of everything. Initially though, they will have a house with only 8 beds, a fridge, toilet and shower. Maybe some seating if I can afford it then, but no wallpaper or floor tiles yet, as 20,000 doesn't go too far considering you spend most of it on land.

I then get my people jobs, start improving the house by adding floor tiles (which usually takes a few days considering their starting income), then wallpaper, more toilets and showers, and all those other useful things in life. It is quite difficult at the beginning as their mood is constantly being dragged down from their pathetic house, their initial jobs pay poorly, and have cheap beds so spend a long time sleeping. They don't have many skills they can increase yet, and as they can't use a stove (or will cause a fire), their food doesn't fill them up.

But for me, thats fun.
I have two of those kinds of game running at the moment...Though in game 1, my Sims all have the same jobs (Military bussines), the goal is to see which one get's to the top first (It's been a while since I last played on this one)...In my game 2, my Sims are all unemployed, to make their living, they all have to make some Garden Gnomes or pictures, they can sell...this is pretty difficult...Oh, and one more thing: The last family has NO doors to the outside, so they can't get any visitors/thiefes/firemen/newspaper/bills
Old August 19, 2002, 07:56   #14
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

no doors mean no bills?? cool
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old August 19, 2002, 08:13   #15
Skanky Burns

At the start all my people have the same jobs, but as soon as possible I give them each a unique career track based on what seems to suit them. For instance, my aggressive looking redhead gets a job with the military, the dainty blonde as an actress, etc.

I will have to try that no-doors / no bills thing. Nice.
Old August 19, 2002, 08:25   #16
mactbone
Prince

Anyone see Malcolm in the Middle last night? Malcolm got addicted to playing "Virts" which was basically "The Sims" without having to pay royalties. It was great, he made everyone in his family and he kept being the loser out of the bunch. He kept drinking, and eating, then he told himself to kill, and his character tried killing himself and succeeded.
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"
Old August 19, 2002, 08:43   #17
Skanky Burns

Old August 19, 2002, 08:54   #18
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemmy
no doors mean no bills?? cool
Well...you get the bills, but you can't pay them, and if you don't pay them a person comes by to take some stuff in exchange, but that person can't get in the gouse, so that person can't take anything...

Though I haven't played that long yet, we're only at day 5-6, so the bills just arrived short time ago...But I hope it'll work

Oh, and btw, about my Sims...They are all girls
Old August 19, 2002, 08:59   #19
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

In my game 3 (actually it's my game 1, since it was the first "family" I made in this neighbourhood), I have two girls living...They are both doing well (They got a lot of friends and a good job), but there's one annoying bug, with that house: The visitors never goes to the door (to ring the bell, when they're coming), whenever I expect somebody to come for a visit, I have to look at all corners of the lot, since they just stays at the corner, until they get tired of waiting (because I couldn't find them) or I finally get to them...

And this is actually my favorite familily, but I'm too tired of this visitor bug
Old August 19, 2002, 09:19   #20
Skanky Burns

Maybe kick them out of the house, bulldoze it, then move them back in. Sure, its a pain to rebuild a house, but at least it should end that hidden visitor bug.
Old August 19, 2002, 10:28   #21
Space05us
King

Local Time: 18:16
Quote:
Maybe some seating if I can afford it then, but no wallpaper or floor tiles yet, as 20,000 doesn't go too far considering you spend most of it on land.
they dont need walls floors or anything, so if you wanted you could build thier entire house as you go along. the only problem with the outdoor feel is that thiefs get away easily, and people ***** and moan about going to the bathroom with people watching
to fix this I usually build an outhouse, and one wall in the kitchen area for the smoke detector and burglar alarm. and of course thay can live thier entire lives like this
Old August 19, 2002, 10:31   #22
Space05us
King

Local Time: 18:16
and who is sucker enough to actually buy the add ons? do you realize how many older games you can buy for what they want!!?
Old August 19, 2002, 10:54   #23
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
They don't have many skills they can increase yet, and as they can't use a stove (or will cause a fire), their food doesn't fill them up.
The problem with their lack of skill is, they don't just make one fire (I don't have any kitchen counters), they make the whole (2x2) table burn, and since the kitchen is in the same room as the beds, everybody wakes up when it's burning And the worst thing: when they have put out the fires, another one starts cooking, but she also burns down the house, pretty annoying that they always makes two fires
Old August 19, 2002, 11:32   #24
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Why would you want to play a game that simulates a real life? That seems rather sad.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old August 19, 2002, 11:40   #25
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Why would you want to play a game that simulates a real life? That seems rather sad.
You think The Sims simulates real life? The Sims simulates unreal life, it defently isn't realistic...

It's the money/building part I enjoy most...You never has any money in real life...
Old August 19, 2002, 21:20   #26
Skanky Burns

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
The problem with their lack of skill is, they don't just make one fire (I don't have any kitchen counters), they make the whole (2x2) table burn, and since the kitchen is in the same room as the beds, everybody wakes up when it's burning And the worst thing: when they have put out the fires, another one starts cooking, but she also burns down the house, pretty annoying that they always makes two fires
Until everyone has at least 2 cooking skill, I don't buy a stove. A food processor and a good microwave help make the food go further, and can be used safely.

Quote:
and who is sucker enough to actually buy the add ons?
Me. My fiance really wanted Hot Date, and lets just say it was worth getting.
Plus that addon is kind of fun.

Quote:
and people ***** and moan about going to the bathroom with people watching
to fix this I usually build an outhouse
While on the subject, I always build my toilet / shower rooms as a 2x1 space. The toilet occupies one square, the door occupies the other, and you get no less than 3 benefits compared to "realistic" bathrooms.
First, a smaller room takes up less space = cheaper to build.
Second, you don't get heaps of sims all in the bathroom at once preventing each other from going to the toilet.
Third, with no space tiles in the room, the flooding from a broken shower/toilet never occurs. So you never need to clean it up.

Quote:
It only seems sad. Its really quite fun and entertaining.
Old August 20, 2002, 07:17   #27
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Until everyone has at least 2 cooking skill, I don't buy a stove. A food processor and a good microwave help make the food go further, and can be used safely.
The microwave is NOT safe in my game! I remember it used to be safe, but in this game it's not...might be because I don't have the microwave on the kitchen counter...

Quote:
Quote:
and people ***** and moan about going to the bathroom with people watching
to fix this I usually build an outhouse
While on the subject, I always build my toilet / shower rooms as a 2x1 space. The toilet occupies one square, the door occupies the other, and you get no less than 3 benefits compared to "realistic" bathrooms.
First, a smaller room takes up less space = cheaper to build.
Second, you don't get heaps of sims all in the bathroom at once preventing each other from going to the toilet.
Third, with no space tiles in the room, the flooding from a broken shower/toilet never occurs. So you never need to clean it up.
There's just one little problem with such small bathrooms. I once had a game, were my Sim and my maid got stuck in the bathroom, I believe they were stuck there for 24 game hours, before I decided to reload the game...
Old August 20, 2002, 08:46   #28
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 23:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I only buy the add ons which seem to give something decent.
Livin' Large, which gave 5 neighborhoods, and Hot Date, which gives downtown. actually 5 downtowns.

I could care less about House Party, which I've heard is pretty unstable, anyway, or vacation, or the next one. don't got them, probably won't until they get REALLY cheap, like 9.99 US for the lot.

on with the discussion.....

My favorite house had only a 2 tile bathroom, and the rest of the furniture was on the lawn. the bathroom acted as support for the huge upstairs bedroom, drawing area, and shower. just kept adding tiles until it wouldn't let me anymore.

The only problem was that when visitors came by, they would navigate all the furniture, and ring the bell at the bathroom door!

I eventually quit playing because the roaches were driving me nuts

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old August 20, 2002, 09:19   #29
Skanky Burns

I hate those roaches too! I didn't know Simsville was built on top of a rubish dump.

Quote:
There's just one little problem with such small bathrooms. I once had a game, were my Sim and my maid got stuck in the bathroom, I believe they were stuck there for 24 game hours, before I decided to reload the game...
Thats happened to me too. I usually just delete a wall or two, let the maid escape, and then put the wall back. She is usually well-behaved though.
Old August 21, 2002, 12:40   #30
Galvatron
Civilization II PBEMPtWDG Glory of War
Prince

Local Time: 00:16
Well I've stopping buying those crappy add-ons a long time ago. I think this is more or less a very bad trick to get more money out of the game. Instead of integrating as much features as possible in the game they produced only a minimum and now releasing one add-on after another and always get cash for it. As this is one of the dirtiest trick I've ever saw I quit buying anything related to sim.

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.