Old August 17, 2002, 17:32   #1
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 07:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
CTP2: A good game vs. civ3?
Is Call To Power 2 a fun/good/addicting game? How is it compared to civ3?

The new iPod nano: nano
Old August 17, 2002, 18:27   #2
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

There are merits to both. More threads: here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.
Old August 17, 2002, 18:53   #3
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
IW, you REALLY need a life!

But in all seriousness, it should give Hagbart a good comparison.
Old August 18, 2002, 15:30   #4
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Firaxis wasnt trying to make a sequel to CtP2 and the CtP2 team wasnt trying to make a sequel to Civ2. To save you reading all those, the simple conclusion is, CtP2 and Civ3 are like cats and dogs, everyone has a preference, there IS no comparison.
Old August 18, 2002, 20:07   #5
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 08:16
I used to play Civ2 and then I discovered CtP2 and stopped playing the first one.

When Civ3 was published, I bought the game and played it. My first Civ3 game was a kind of disappointement though I thought I had perhaps missed something, mixed feelings would you say. So I tried again Civ3 and ended being angry against the cheats used by the AI and the tedious worker management system.

I thus came back to modded CtP2 convinced the game is far better as far as my tastes are concerned.

You should give modded CtP2 a try but don't expect a civ clone, it's really a different game.
Old August 19, 2002, 17:05   #6
Oerdin
Deity

I really do prefer CTP2 to Civ3.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 19, 2002, 17:16   #7
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Same here Oerdin.
Old August 21, 2002, 09:59   #8
mnbryan37
Warlord

Local Time: 00:16
I had the same experience as Tamerlin. I was a Civ2 fenatic, but didn't even finish my first Civ 3 game. Ctp2, as modified by the Apolyton patch is the best game I have erver played.

Bill
Old August 27, 2002, 10:27   #9
Anguille2
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:16
I had CIV2 at home for year, but i never played it (only the WWII scenario).
At the beginning of this year, i a state of boredom, i bought CIV3, which i actually didn't want to buy in the first place as i wasn't really into that kind of game (i am still more a MOO-science-fiction player)....
Anyway...i had a lot of pleasure with it, being new to that kind of game. It's only this summer that i bought CTP. Even with older graphics i found this game to be really cool (space cities). I also bought CTP2 one or 2 months later, which i played now with the Apolyton patch. I've also played CIV2 many times now.
the result:

1. CIV2 is really great. Diplomacy is also very fun
2. CTP comes right after CIV2. There are so many new options in there....great game.
3. CTP2: it could have been the top. Still the game is great....however i don't find as entertaining as CTP.
3. CIV3: graphics are great, but is not as fun as the others...they just took back the old formula.

Stuart Adamson, singer from Big Country, 1958-2001.
Old August 27, 2002, 11:58   #10
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Anguille2
3. CIV3: graphics are great, but is not as fun as the others...they just took back the old formula.
Actual Civ3 graphics are in comparision to CTP1 and CTP2 16bit graphics just 8bit, CTP1/2 units are larger and therefore more detailed. So maybe Civ3 graphics are great CTP1/2 graphics are much better even if they are older, they are just more advanced.

-Martin
Old August 28, 2002, 03:35   #11
Anguille2
Chieftain

I wasn't saying that the quality of the graphics from CIV3 were better than the ones in CTP2. Neither that they were more detailled.
It's just that i like the colors and the images they used...
I think the dimensions in CTP2 are good, but in CTP, the units are slightly too big for my taste (even if it's the game i prefer now).

Anyway....i would rather be looking for a CTP3 than to a CIV4.

Stuart Adamson, singer from Big Country, 1958-2001.
Old September 1, 2002, 12:38   #12
bartdanr
CTP2 Source Code Project
Chieftain

Anguille2 wrote:

============
Anyway....i would rather be looking for a CTP3 than to a CIV4.
============

Amen to that!!

Unfortunately, I doubt if we'll ever see it.

The best that I can hope for is that whenever they DO release Civ 4, they will take a look at modded CPT2 for some inspiration.

Don't get me wrong--I think Civ III is a fine game. It's just not my favorite. It may seem strange, but I find myself playing Civ II-MPG more than Civ III. Even after all these years, Civ II still can be terribly fun--and IMO, MORE fun than Civ III.

Three of the biggest selling points to me on CTP2 are the unconventional units, varieties of governments and the incredible ability to mod. (Not that *I* have the skill to do it, but I *do* appreciate those that can!) If a Civ 4 can have those three elements, then perhaps I'll be won back to the 'current release' Civ camp.

I probably will pick up CivIII-PtW when it comes out, but I doubt if it will win me back to Civ III.
Old September 3, 2002, 20:38   #13
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

I have said this many times and i say it again. Modded CtP2 is the best civ game there is by far and is getting better Which is really great. Possibly the best game I have.

One thing with CtP2 i find it hard to get into a game, but once i get into it (say 50turns or so its bloody great)

SMIFFGIG
Old September 5, 2002, 10:17   #14
Silpy
Chieftain

But there is so many good points about Civ III! (And I feel if you hate the worker system, how did you cope with Civ II?) And Incidently, I was a real fan of CTP II before I got Civ III. I got it, and played it for about 2 weeks. Then I went back to CTP II. But then, a month later, I went back to Civ III, and I found the annoying points become less annoying and more of a challinge in the gameplay than CTP II.
Old September 5, 2002, 15:04   #15
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Silpy
(And I feel if you hate the worker system, how did you cope with Civ II?)
In the end I needed one hour to move all these settlers and caravans all over the map in the hot phase of terrainimproving. So in the end not good and finally I got CTP1 with the sollution to this problem: PW.

-Martin
Old September 5, 2002, 16:59   #16
Tamerlin
King

Hagbart,

Have you been convinced by this thread to buy CtP2 ?

If the answer is yes, have you found the game and started to play ?

I'am interested in your feedback and I guess I'am not the only one.
Old September 8, 2002, 18:42   #17
Proteus_MST
King

I like both games.

CTP2 has its Combat System, Future Technologies, its Public works and lots of Special Units.

Civ 3 on the other hand has real strategic Ressources (such as Oil, Iron or Coal) which are important enough to fught wars over (no Iron, no Swordmen, Knights etc; no coal, no Ironclads and no Railroads; no Oil, no modern Units).
Civ 3 has also Cultural borders which i really like (the borders don´t expand with city-size, but with Culture-Points. build Librarys and Temples and watch your Borders grow).

I´d like to see a CTP3 with strategic Ressources and Luxuries and maybe cultural Borders.
I´d love it
Old September 8, 2002, 19:40   #18
bartdanr
CTP2 Source Code Project
Chieftain

Proteus_MST wrote:

Quote:
Civ 3 on the other hand has real strategic Ressources (such as Oil, Iron or Coal) which are important enough to fught wars over (no Iron, no Swordmen, Knights etc; no coal, no Ironclads and no Railroads; no Oil, no modern Units).
Yes, I agree--this is a cool part of Civ III. I remember years ago the game "Destiny" had this feature, it was one of the most attractive features of that game.

If they every do make CTP 3 (hey, I can dream, can't I?), I think that would be one of the key improvements.
Old September 9, 2002, 06:15   #19
child of Thor
Emperor

Proteus_MST, bartdanr, have a look through the 'AI/mods/creation' ctp2 forum - those things you want to see are being worked on. That's the great thing about this game -it can evolve!
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old September 9, 2002, 08:26   #20
Proteus_MST
King

Quote:
Originally posted by child of Thor
Proteus_MST, bartdanr, have a look through the 'AI/mods/creation' ctp2 forum - those things you want to see are being worked on. That's the great thing about this game -it can evolve!
Sounds great.

Good Reason, to play CTP2 again