Old May 31, 2003, 19:34   #61
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 22:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'll post a link to another strategy thread.

"Taking away another Civ's Valuables"
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=54848

Why? There aren't any links to threads on anything similar to this topic, and I want to be able to say, "My story is on the "'Must Read' Threads" thread." Of course, the only reason that is on here is because I posted it there, but I don't have to tell that to anyone.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
johncmcleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2003, 14:40   #62
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 02:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Corrected the link to Firaxian Comments.

Added a few new threads.

Before I add a MP section, any suggestions other than F-P's threads? ( He's good, but he ain't the only one! )
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2003, 07:44   #63
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 07:16
Theseus - why no link to any of the luxury slider threads? It's one of those issues that keeps coming up, but as far as I know it isn't in the directory yet.
vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2003, 08:44   #64
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Got a suggestion?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old June 10, 2003, 06:38   #65
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

You could try The power of the luxury slider - there was another similar one more recently, but I don't remember it having anything new in it.
vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2003, 14:20   #66
Theseus
Emperor

Updated to include:
1) Nathan's luxury slider thread, and
2) A number of MP threads both here and at the CIV3PLAYERS Ladder League, courtesy of Fried-Psitalon.

Old June 30, 2003, 02:02   #67
Fried-Psitalon
Civilization IV: MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC4DG Sarantium
Official Civilization IV Strategy Guide Co-Author

Local Time: 01:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen
Oh well, just found them

"Siege! Taking and defending cities" http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=77955

"A look at ALL Civs from a MP point of view"
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=73721

"Beating the no-iron blues and other MP problems"
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=75314

"Don't Blink, And Other tips for MP Elimination Games"
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=74739

"Civ Tribe Traits Ranked in the MP Environment"
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=72853
Actually, I've written a few more since then; Theseus has the links to them. Do let me know what you think.

::heads back to ISDG land, not to be seen in the Strat forum again for months::
Fried-Psitalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2003, 15:31   #68
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

I think DaveMcW's Free Palace Jump thread also deserves to be mentioned, even though the formula is not yet 100% exact, but it is still pretty powerful.
Harovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2003, 15:46   #69
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I agree that is worth reading even though I have no use for it. I mean that I would not abandon my palace or let it be razed. If I jump it, I will use a leader.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2003, 19:36   #70
Theseus
Emperor

I was prompted to revisit this compendium due to the Free Palace Jump thread (which still needs to be determined as a possible Must Read).

This baby needs updating, especially with C3C on the way... we've periodically touched on the subject, but it hasn't really been done.

Seems to me that three major actions would be:

1) Some of the threads really are out of date... with some help, I'd at least like to mark them as such in the first thread.

2) There must be some other threads from the past, uh, year?, that should be included.

3) Some concepts / threads should be revisited / supplemented / replaced... best civs, traits, UUs, etc.

And, last but not least, we haven't had a REALLY good flame war in too long. "You b*stard, agricultural ROCKS!!" Seriously, on a related note, I am considering adding a section for some of our historically... interesting... posters, including l337, HSS, and fanes7, just for posterity.

So... anybody want to help?

Old October 17, 2003, 21:03   #71
vmxa1
Deity

Depends on what you want done and how and when. I would think we need a bit of time after C3C. The nwe will get new ideas and changes. That would be the time to attempt it. It seems to me that to try to rework the threads and just add more potentially
out of date info, is not a good investment of ones time.
Old October 17, 2003, 23:07   #72
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
And, last but not least, we haven't had a REALLY good flame war in too long. "You b*stard, agricultural ROCKS!!"
You're missing all the action in Saint Marcus' "Agricultural = Too Powerful" thread in the Conquests forum. We started by debating Agricultural, and now we're on to Seafaring...and C3C is not even out yet!

Dominae
Old October 18, 2003, 07:48   #73
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

As I suggested, Im in favor of including the palace jump thread.

If someone thinks it is an exploit, well then just dont use or agree not to use it when you set up PBEM rules or whatever.

I think the research that went into it, merits its inclusion here.

If you want place a disclaimer in the link that says some may feel that it is an exploit.

I believe it has at least some merit in MP games without the AI. And since Im not all the great of a player, I sometimes need every little bit of help I can get against the AI!

Just MHO! Thanks
Old October 18, 2003, 08:05   #74
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I agree: Palace jump is definitely a must-read. DaveMcW has put some good work into this, and many people will surely find it useful/informative.

Who cares if it's an exploit? The Strategy forum is all about discussing such topics.

Dominae
Old October 18, 2003, 09:03   #75
Fried-Psitalon
Civilization IV: MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC4DG Sarantium
Official Civilization IV Strategy Guide Co-Author

Local Time: 01:16
Dominae = l33t 3xp!01t m0f0

Theseus - I currently have several articles awaiting "Release Day" dealing with C3C. I'm just not sure where I should post them....
Fried-Psitalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2003, 14:03   #76
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:16
The Palace Jump Thread is good, it has uncovered the palace jump formula, and regardless of it being an exploit (which I don't think so) is a must read.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Master Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2003, 06:04   #77
g_storrow
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 06:16
Theseus,
I was just wondering where Vel's strategy Guide 1 and 2 are as 3 is very good and I would like to read 1 and 2.
Cheers
G
g_storrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2003, 21:07   #78
Theseus
Emperor

If I remember correctly, 3 incorporated 1 and 2.

BTW, disclaimer: Many of these threads are oooold. The principles are good, but many of the game mechanics issue are way out of date.

But I am very glad that people are still reading these, and that Vel gets the acknowledgement he deserves!!

Old December 17, 2003, 21:08   #79
Theseus
Emperor

F-P, or any of the other MP addicts out there, are there any other more recent great threads either here or on the ladder boards?

/me asks in enlightened self-interest as the holiday season will prolly be my introduction to MP.

Old December 22, 2003, 18:02   #80
Artifex
Prince

tag for later
Artifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2003, 20:12   #81
vmxa1
Deity

Artifex not sure what you mean by tag, but it is a topped thread so it is alway at the top of the page.
Old December 23, 2003, 01:22   #82
Cerbykins
Warlord

Hi, MP, and threads - old but the best!
I would help with the MP, but for a few problems

First is that for some reason, Civ and my modem work in tandem to produce pretty blue screens
Second is that the other machine I tried making it work on, couldn't connect to the other guy in question - but that's probably more of a firewall thing
Last and most important is that I have no intention of being 'Theseus meat' or 'Aeson meat' (I don't care if he says he won't do MP, I've only the courage to stick around Prince/Monarch! )

Anyhow, I've been silently tracking Poly in the past few months, mainly to sort out this mess I call 'playing ability' (very loose usage indeed ), and I decided to sign up as I seem to spend vast amounts of time using this thread to patch over the glaring holes in my tactics....

This thread will -always- be useful. So much so, I actually bookmarked this rather the the site itself. And I've been playing the game for about 18 months now, so I should (shamefully) know better and don't. This thread goes a LOOOONG way to making sure I do in future!

(Post #1 out of the way...! )
Old December 23, 2003, 01:47   #83
vmxa1
Deity

Cerbykins go get em.
Old December 23, 2003, 20:22   #84
Theseus
Emperor

Welcome aboard, Cerbykins!!

As we settle into C3C with BETA, feel free to re-visit any of the threads or concepts, raise questions, add new ideas, whatever.

Glad to be of service.

Old March 25, 2004, 15:25   #85
Ecliptik
Chieftain

my personal strategy for expansion probably isn't the best one but what i do is keep building cities quite far apart at first so i get alot of quick territory i try to build culture and settlers once its no longer easy to expand if i dont think i have enough cities i start to make a bit of an ICS
Ecliptik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2004, 17:15   #86
vmxa1
Deity

Ecliptik that will start to be counter productive as you move up the difficulty tree. I would even argue that it is not all that useful even at Regent.

This is because you have so many tiles that cannot be worked, but still need to be roaded. It slows down movement of workers and settlers and worse troops.

The empire will be harder to defend or you will have to have more troops to have the same level of defense.

A CxxC spacing will be plenty loose and you will have enough tiles for all citizens.
Old March 25, 2004, 17:41   #87
Krill
lifer
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The GooniesC4BtSDG TemplarsC4BtSDG ImperioC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4BtSDG Team BananaC4BtSDG Realms BeyondC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Deity

I've only recently started to experiment with CxxC spacing, and the ONLY problems that I can find are that 1) you can only have ~12 pop per city (sometimes it can go up to 15~16) and;

2) It is in fact possible for fast movers to heal in a captured city/town, and then attack a new city/town with out having to wait in enemy territory.
That should not be a problem, since you should be attacking the AI, not being attacked yourself.

It is a good/the best city placement strategy there is, though
Old March 25, 2004, 18:05   #88
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 00:16
The trick is to learn to abandon certain "camp" towns later in the game to allow their neighbors to grow well beyond size 12. In the early game, you can have military "camp" towns with nothing more than a barracks for the express purpose of churning out units. When you get Hospitals and want to grown your original core cities bigger, you can abandon these camps with little sentimental pain - assuming you kept them small over the millenia and didn't build anything but a barracks.

I still don't have the knack, but it allows you to go CxxC - or even the rare CxC - in the early game and then to grow huge metros in the late game.

At least, that's the theory. I still have trouble abandoning even the most crowded of military camps. I'm trying, though.
Old March 25, 2004, 18:30   #89
Krill
lifer
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The GooniesC4BtSDG TemplarsC4BtSDG ImperioC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4BtSDG Team BananaC4BtSDG Realms BeyondC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Deity

"Assuming you kept them small over the millenia and didn't build anything but a barracks."
Military camps? ALL my core citoes have preety much every improvement (except barracks).
Ducki, you may play along to Theseus' request:
"Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos,

But I play to a godly "Whiter Than White" builder strategy. Pease tell me how to be a war monger. I (somehow) find it easier to play builder than warmonger, even at emperor.
Old March 25, 2004, 21:40   #90
vmxa1
Deity

You don't even have to abandon them Krill. Just don't build hospitals in some and they will only use 12 tiles. You can have some use up to all 21 tiles, if you want.

Camps not on a river and no aqua will stay at 6, leaving lots of tiles to be used by their neighbor.