Old August 18, 2002, 16:42   #1
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 23:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Well, Neverwinter Nights is going back to the store tomorrow.
I was really looking forward to this game. But I spent almost 24 hours trying to get it to work on my desktop without any luck.

Even after downloading the patch, I couldn't get it to play anymore than just the opening titles before it froze up--which meant I had to repeated crash my computer. I meandered around the various support sites of the makers, following their suggestions as to changing my video configuration and turning off the sound to ascertain whether it was a soundcard compatibility problem. I even uninstalled the game and reinstalled it again. All with no luck.

The last possiblity was to deactivate my CD-burner. Apparently the game has a built-in incompatablity with some CD-burners to aid its copyright protection. But that was a bridge too far. Dang it, game manufacturers should be going out of their way to make the games compatible not incompatible with their customers' hardware. I paid for that CD-burner, and I'm not about to deactivate it just to play their stupid game.

This morning, I had the bright idea of installing the game on my laptop, which doesn't have a CD-burner. But the video card on my laptop isn't up to Neverwinter requirements, and the pointer cursor fluttered constantly, more off than on.

So, looks like I'm out of options.
Old August 18, 2002, 18:25   #2
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 07:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Sorry to hear that because its good fun if only you can get it to run. The curse of all modern PC games seem to be that there is always a small number of machines they won't run on even if all the hardware seems fully compatible, correctly configured, runs the latest version of DirectX and has all the right drivers.
Old August 18, 2002, 20:42   #3
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 16:19
Games are way too difficult and complex now.

Bring back the NES!
Old August 18, 2002, 23:05   #4
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 14:19
In their quest to stop pirates, these people are doing more harm by alienating legitimate customers.

I fart in their general direction.
Old August 18, 2002, 23:48   #5
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 17:19
See if you can get the pirate version of the game. No cd-protection = no extra problems running the game.

I have bought the full version of Warcraft, but its still unopened as I don't want to install the real version. I much prefer not having to swap cd's whenever I want to play a different game.

God bless Razor

Last edited by Skanky Burns; August 19, 2002 at 00:51.
Old August 19, 2002, 00:24   #6
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Re: Well, Neverwinter Nights is going back to the store tomorrow.
I have one word for you

Morrowind

Did you try Bioware/Black Isles own tech support, as well as that of your sound/graphics card?
I've never had a problem with any of the BG series though so I wouldn't know how good they are...
Old August 19, 2002, 00:42   #7
Zkribbler
Deity

I did try BioWare, and worked my way through their suggestions on their support FAQs.

I did not try my sound card manufacturer--although I did follow either BioWare or Atari's suggestion to disable my soundcard to see if that was the problem. It wasn't.

My graphics card is far above the minimum requirement, and I even reconfigured things to lessen any strain...e.g. running with minimum pixels. Nada
Old August 21, 2002, 03:27   #8
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

you may need the no cd crack. and bioware is never going to suggest that!!

although I haven't needed the crack.

and I sure hope you aren't using a voodoo card. If you are you might want to return it.
Old August 21, 2002, 05:08   #9
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 09:19
I had it in my hands yesterday, together with WarCraft 3, and refused to take it(for free).

Damn exams.
Old August 21, 2002, 06:47   #10
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 07:19
Now that is what I call willpower!
Old August 21, 2002, 21:47   #11
alofatti
Settler

Local Time: 06:19
I have an S3 card which is unsupported. I can´t get to run that damn game and there is NO WAY I´m gonna shell some 100$ for a new card just for this game, no matter how delusingly fantastic it is!
Old August 22, 2002, 14:21   #12
Zkribbler
Deity

First the bad news. The store wouldn't take the game back. They have a policy of not accepting returns on any games which have already been opened. The best they could do was to exchange the game for another identical game in case my problem was a defective disk.

Now for the good news, I went through the extensive steps in e-mailing the makers and explaining the problems I was having. In a few days, they figured out what my problem is an outdated driver on my videocard. I just got done downloading the latest driver for my NVidia TNT (from the archive section of NVidia's website ) and the game is up and running.
Old August 25, 2002, 22:22   #13
alofatti
Settler

Local Time: 06:19
Could you further specify the characteristics of your card?
Old August 25, 2002, 23:10   #14
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 02:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
Games are way too difficult and complex now.

Bring back the NES!
Last night I got stoned and played Contra with some friends. Contra is way the hell more difficult than NWN.

Even with the thirty lives cheat we kept having to continue. It was sick. We eventually gave up around stage 7.

NES games were way the hell harder than modern games.
Old August 25, 2002, 23:13   #15
Zkribbler
Deity

Er, okay. NVidia RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro
Old August 26, 2002, 01:10   #16
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Heh. I think thats exactly the same as mine (I had to update the drivers when I installed Dungeon Siege).
I'll keep this in mind for when I pick NWN up (as soon as I'm through with Morrowind - which, by the rate at which I'm currently progressing, should be sometime 2008. )