View Poll Results: What do you think of the magazine propsal for SL?
Great idea! I'll even help. 4 23.53%
Sounds fine. I'll look forward to it. 9 52.94%
I'm indifferent. 2 11.76%
I like things the way they are. 2 11.76%
Don't you dare mess with my Scenario League! 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 18, 2002, 18:04   #1
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 00:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Scenario League counter-proposal
Regarding the current debate about the SL forum and site, a small group of us have been working on a proposal. The idea is that the site hosts a monthly "magazine", dedicated to scenario design and PBEM's.

Carl Fritz (Gothmog) will be the editor in chief, Nick Dowling (Case) will be assistant editor for PBEMs and I (techumseh) will be assistant editor for scenario design. As the webmaster for the SL site which will host the magazine, St. Leo will become, in effect, the publisher. The four of us will constitute an editorial board which would plan the magazine each month, with the assistance of other volunteer correspondents.

Here's a mockup of a possible layout of the magazine, done by Gothmog:
http://users.stargate.net/~harden/slmag/index.html The magazine will have regular monthly features. Some ideas include articles dealing with new scenarios, profiles of authors, a scenario of the month feature, design tips, a PBEM players roster and so on. Volunteers wil be encouraged to submit articles as well.

The SL forum and the proposed PBEM forum would be important to get feedback and discussion of the magazine's content. For that reason, I'd like to offer to take over as moderator of the SL forum. Warvoid's recurring computer problems have prevented him from being as active as he would like. If he is able to, Warvoid would continue to manage the scenario contest.

I think with a more active forum, we can get some of the new scenario traffic back from CivFanatics, as well as provide a great focus for PBEM's. This all depends on he support of the scenario community. What do you think?
Old August 18, 2002, 18:46   #2
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:19
I'd prefer to use the same layout for everything in SLeague.
Old August 19, 2002, 03:59   #3
winterfritz
Prince

Local Time: 06:19
This sounds very cool, as long as the first scenario of the month is Roma Eterna

Last edited by winterfritz; August 19, 2002 at 05:23.
Old August 19, 2002, 09:27   #4
Gothmog
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by winterfritz
This sounds very cool, as long as the first scenario of the month is Roma Eterna
The plan is to report all new scenarios. I'm not really planning to review them; that would mean playing them all. So, there is not going to be a scenario of the month.
Old August 19, 2002, 15:44   #5
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 01:19
I like the idea, I support it
Old August 19, 2002, 17:29   #6
our_man
Civilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 07:19
Fantastic idea! I really look forward to seeing this!
Old August 20, 2002, 00:11   #7
Mr. Oobir
Warlord

Wow, this is a great idea. However, would it be possible to maybe add scenario previews? It might help encourage certain people (e.g., me ) to work harder on developing scenarios if they were profiled out in public. Just a thought...
Old August 20, 2002, 11:18   #8
Mercator
Emperor

Local Time: 08:19
Great idea!

But couldn't this simply be part of the SLeague site (or was that the idea)? Isn't this a part of what the Scenario League is about?

So I assume this is simply an additional effort to bring the SL to life again... But what's the "counter" bit in "counter-proposal" then?
Old August 20, 2002, 13:18   #9
techumseh
Emperor

It was (slightly) counter to Markos' idea of moving the SL forum.
Old August 20, 2002, 21:46   #10
techumseh
Emperor

A Great Project
One project we've discussed for SL magazine is a compilation of all WWII era Alex and Nemo units, including those made in their syle by others. These could be posted on the magazine in installments, as the collection grows.

The project will be open to anyone who wants to contribute. However, we should probably select an editor to oversee the work. The Anzac has already done considerable work along this line. How about it, Anzac?
Old August 20, 2002, 23:26   #11
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Yes that would be very nice techumseh
Old August 21, 2002, 00:16   #12
techumseh
Emperor

Excellent. Welcome aboard! I've made a few myself. When do you want them and how shall I send them to you?
Old August 21, 2002, 09:32   #13
The ANZAC
King

Yeah, I'd be interested in seeing them. Send them to theanzac@optonline.net
Old August 21, 2002, 10:35   #14
Gothmog
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Oobir
Wow, this is a great idea. However, would it be possible to maybe add scenario previews? It might help encourage certain people (e.g., me ) to work harder on developing scenarios if they were profiled out in public. Just a thought...
I've been thinking about scenario previews, but I haven't made up my mind about whether to have a section on them. The problem is that many of these proposed scenarios never come to fruition. On the other hand many of them are completed. It's just that I don't have a crystal ball to tell which are which. Right now I am leaning against scenario previews. However, I am willing to change my mind.
Old August 22, 2002, 21:27   #15
Cam
King

Local Time: 15:49
A really good idea guys!

I recall back at the dawn of time (around 1999) that it was often difficult to get a good range of at least semi-articulate reviews and design tips for the League. Despite the difficulty in getting fresh content, the community and particularly the SLeague Editors nonetheless were pretty fixed on what we wanted the League to be and what it was to do.

At one point we toyed with the idea of creating a Developer's Workshop component to the site, where half-finished scenarios created by one author could be made available to everyone, and anyone who had the desire to finish it off could do so. I thought it was a good idea, but iirc Blackclove didn't (concerned that every half-baked if not totally lame concept would be dumped on the League's editors to handle).

Where is this going?

I think the concept of a magazine will give the League a new lease of life and extend to it the flexibility it needs to take on this sort of project. I suppose the home-site's structure was established just as the League concept was born, and while it had some good enhancements (contests, design tips), its format remained fairly set from 'Day One'. The magazine (if serviced and maintained appropriately - as I'm hopeful it will be) can add dynamics to what the League is aiming to achieve by venturing into areas and activities not traditionally covered in the 'working agenda'.

Last edited by Cam; August 22, 2002 at 23:27.
Old August 24, 2002, 15:05   #16
WarVoid
King

Local Time: 06:19
I like the idea to. For pretty much the same reasons as everyone else.

Perhaps it could also include and opinions page where people can submit snipets with comments about a particular scenario.

Anyways, if I can contribute anything, just let me know. I've got everything running again, so i'll be around a lot more now.
Old August 24, 2002, 15:56   #17
The ANZAC
King

Techumseh, you can send me the units anytime
Old August 24, 2002, 18:12   #18
techumseh
Emperor

Oh! Sorry. I must have nodded off there for a minute. I'll send them by tomorrow.
Old August 25, 2002, 11:33   #19
The ANZAC
King

As for the Nemo WW2 collections: is there any time-frame this should get done by? Any suggested format? Or do I have a free hand?
Old August 25, 2002, 16:57   #20
techumseh
Emperor

Here you go. Some of these are from an incomplete scenario called "Warlords", set in '20s and '30s China, a couple were done for Case's "Cruel Sea", and the rest are from the forthcoming PBEM scenario "Global War". All are in ToT format, but feel free to convert them if you wish.

The format is up to you. The idea is to run the collection in installments each month. Hopefully it then becomes part of the permanent collection of SL. Consult Gothmog as to how much space is available in each edition of the magazine and what the deadlines are. The first issue is due in mid-September.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	techunits1.gif
Views:	37
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	22951