Old August 21, 2002, 17:45   #121
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Datajack Franit

About Dr. Strangelove... I bought several books about the subject, and got a subsctiption to Newsweek, if I could find the articles I'd post them asap. Btw I have no reason to lie about that, believe it, KLA isnt' the bunch of cool guys you may think. Remember what they did to that group of macedonian soldiers just a couple of years ago?
The incident in Macedonia didn't take place in the 1960s. AFAIK the political movement of the Kosovars was non-violent until Milosevic's soldiers began roughing people up, using death squads to silence dissidents, and quietly shoving others across the borders. Prior to Milosevic coming to power the Kosovars enjoyed a fairly high degree of civil equality with the Serbs in Kosovo and held many of the govermental posts as would be expected in a region in which they were the majority. Milosevic took away their political rights and began to pressure them out of the country. When non-violent means failed violent groups like the KLA became active.

Even if some violent acts occurred in the 1960s I'm fairly certain that Tito took care of the problem in the usual brutal fashion and suppressed the movement. If there were some incidents 40 years ago, then the group went dormant until 5 years ago it wouldn't be rational to say that they had a 40 year reign of terror, would it?

I'm not defending the actions of the KLA in Macedonia, where it is clear that their claims are spurious. In the late 1990s in Kosovo however they clearly had the right to defend their people.
Old August 21, 2002, 18:00   #122
Adalbertus
Prince

Local Time: 07:34
Quote:
That would be about as believeable as Hitler's claim that Polish terrorists blew up German radio stations
They did do! According to what I've heard of my father (maybe it's only a rumour which spread in Germany among those who were not so happy about Hitler) some 20 Polish prisoners in German prisons were promised freedom if they dress as Polish terrorists and fake an attack on Germany. Of course, all of them were killed.
Quote:
Second, Western Palestine (aka Israel) is the historical homeland of the Jewish (Hebraic) people.
Be careful about that ... This is water on the mills of every German revisionist. The problem is not about where your ancestors lived 2000 years ago but where Jews and Palestinians (and especially those born in the region) can live now.
-----
Personally, I had preferred that Jews live where they were (in, say, 1900) and without persecution etc. Not necessarily in a separate state but with the same rights and obligations as anybody else in their respective home state (I guess that many Jews stayed in Germany until they were killed for something that Nazis never would admit to exist - love of their native country). Today, many of them have their home in Israel. The existence of modern Israel is a historic fact for over 50 years now and we have to live with it. This region is home to many Jews and many Palestinians - nobody has the right to deny it to either them. I believe that at least 80% of both populations would accept this - but unfortunately 5% and being unscrupulous is enough to terrorize 95%. I have no hope for the near future.
Old August 21, 2002, 18:14   #123
Ned
King

Local Time: 22:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Adalbertus, good post.

On the point about Jews staying were they were without discrimination, etc., the problem is that the Jews have had only small periods of lack of persecution for the last 2000 years. The reason for this is obvious: they insist on maintaining their own religion and culture and therefor are permanently strangers in a strange land.

They had no choice but to seek a homeland of their own.
Old August 21, 2002, 18:14   #124
Adalbertus
Prince

Quote:
Correct me, if I am wrong, but I don't seem any Europeans demanding that the descendants of the American slaves go back to where they came from, America, where they were "persecuted." I don't seen anyone saying that movement of slaves to Liberia was a form of racism. I don't see anyone suggesting that the Americans were aggressive colonizers that the stole the land from the native Africans.

Why?
I'm not into the history of Liberia. But whether they are agressive colonizers depends on their behaviour. The "Ameroafricans" have no higher right on the land than those who spent their lives there. If they said "All is ours", they are aggressive colonizers. If they were able to get more or less incorporated in their old tribal structures and taught the rest how to create an effective state they are not. But don't get caught in a sort of argument "We Americans were (mostly) English, so England is ours" or "We Germans came from Eastern European regions, therefore Ukraine is ours", or fill in what you despise most.
Old August 21, 2002, 18:54   #125
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 08:34
Quote:
Originally posted by Adalbertus
I think you are referring to the 100 year's war...... Again, no expulsion of population. The population was relabelled from "English" to "French".
Renaming is a form of cultural occupation and absorbtion.

You seem to lose sigh of non-european nations which those immigrating europeans now days occupy.
like the original occupants of Britain, or the origianl occupants of America.

(But possibly I'm speaking unrelated nonsense since I can't remember what my original point was )

Quote:
English subjects went to America out of free will or as prisoners. Fought for independence. Thus they were relabelled. Others went there (then mostly of their own free will) and became Americans. Again no expulsion by war.
English subjects fought other english subjects for independance.

And both conquered local americans.

Quote:
Same as English in America, only more unwilling and/or unwelcome to assimilate.
French migrated and settled in Canada.
So did english.

Quote:
Normally remained in their original region (prior to Stalin).
Huh?

Russians conquered the entire mongolian areas, only after mongolia conquered most of asia.

My whole point was that ethnicities migrate and affect other places!

god dammit, the human race has settled around the globe from africa.

Quote:
True also for the most classical ages of China, Japan, Inca (Aztecs might be different due to their religious needs for prisoners of war ...)
Huh?
The wars between japan and china did change the population of eastern asia alot.

In any case, the original japanese civilization (strangely white men) is practically extinct.

Mongols have spread from mongolia to a huge area across asia, most controlled by Russia bynow.

The arabs have spread themselves and their culture through out southern asia and north africa (and than continued into the 2nd century)

Quote:
I know they think so. And I think this is sick. Because it invariably results in expulsions, murders, etc. China is much less homogeneous than Yugoslavia (which was about as homogeneous as Germany), in terms of ethnicities. Chinese understand themselves as Chinese, Germans understand themselves as Germans, and Yugoslavians as Croatians, Serbs, etc. The problem is that "Nation" is merely a matter of definition.
I agree.

Thus, once a whole group of people decide that they don't belong to the mother culture, to stop them from defining themselves would be lethal.

Quote:
I think it is much worse to drive people out of their region of birth (or which they otherwise feel as their home) than living together with people of different ethnicities.
I don't suggest that.

I don't have a problem with living with different ethnicities.

But if an ethnicity wants also to rule itself, alone - then they should.

Quote:
I guess you'd have a hard time to find a supporter of ethnic "defragmentation", who would volunteer to give up his home. That's one half why I think it's sick.
I don't preach ethnic defragmentation nor do I find any reason to give up anyone's home.

Quote:
The other half is that I doubt there are many people who can be sure of a "pure" ancestry over more than a few hundred years. A highly civilized culture tends to mix up ethnicities, and sometimes also not-so-highly civilized cultures (I think about Europe in 500 AC...).
Nationality is not based only on ethnicity but also on heritage and culture or history.

If I were not an Israeli and a zionist (I immigrated in a young age and learnt about zionism and agree with its goals), I could have been a russian or ukrainian, or even a german national.

Because I have alot of culture and heritage from all those nations.

Nationality is a matter of choise.

Ethnicity isn't.
Old August 21, 2002, 19:03   #126
Sirotnikov
Emperor

Btw, I'm not sure what I wrote in my last post.

I wrote it in 3 different sessions and I'm quite sleepy now, so I might have confused things.

I caught myself on several accounts prior to posting.

Quote:
P.S. you may not like this. But within 100 years I expect Israel to go into the hands of the Palestinians
LOL
Make that 20 years.
Old August 21, 2002, 19:08   #127
Sirotnikov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dry
Oh, yes, Thanks for having enlighten us all.
From me at least, you have free hands, Go on.

You, and all others of course. From now on, any people who kill less than 5,999,999 human beings will have my 100% support.

In other words, from now on, I allow myself to criticise only... Germany.
Hey, jerk, if you don't want to have a serious conversation - don't.

Quote:
But, please keep the records of the deads, humiliated, raped... - I fully 100% trust your stats - so I know when I will be allowed to think by myself again.
raped?
huh?

Think for yourself?

Tell me do you believe in the masons or the illuminati??

Quote:
I just have a last question. If, let's say the Chinese beats the Germans by killing... 8 million people - according to your stat - will that forbid all Asians to criticise any other country until someone else beat that score?
What does that have to do with anything, you *****?

I bet you didn't even read my f*cking post. You have a problem with the number 6,000,000 and that is YOUR problem. My post about how the comparison is wrong doesn't even mention that number, but the essense of the hapenning, so f*ck off.
Old August 21, 2002, 19:18   #128
Sirotnikov
Emperor

Quote:
I'm glad you respect me because I like Baldur's Gate
I respect you regardless of that.
That's just a fun fact.

Quote:
Hmm this thread is killing me I need to sleep!
Heh.

Get used to it.

I'm here for two years now and I don't sleep at all now.

Quote:
but they are a political party- it's nice to hear that I'm not the only one thinking that palestinians should have their own state, it's just that the more you wait to do so, the more you allow fundamentalists to poison the minds of people with sick thoughts. But using violence and denying history isn't helping anyone.
heh

there are 1000 versions for the history of the region, new ones being written as we speak

Quote:
In Europe most of the people believe Sharon to be a slaughterer. Now either the europeans or the israelis are wrong.
It's a work of alot of PR and alot of misinformation.

Sharon was found responsible for that - because that is just what his job title suggested at the time - as a minister he was responsible.

But the court didn't find him guilty of intent to cause the slaughter.

Sharon wasn't the general on the ground. Sharon didn't instruct them to commit a slaughter, Sharon, according to the court didn't anticipate the slaughter.

That's hardly a slaughterer.

And it is sad that so many europeans based on so little actual evidence (unless of course they all read ALL the evidence and the trial protocol), decide things about Sharon.

Quote:
I don't think that 58 millions of italians could live just in S. Marino
hehehe

Quote:
About Yugoslavia. The yugoslavians were guilty of being the best friends of russians, and you know what the UN did to every single communist country in the world. I'm not saying that communism is a good thing (N. Korea above all) but they were'nt doing anything wrong, and now they are free from the evil cossacks and free to live in sewers, just as anyone wants. Wonder what will be of China..
I again don't get your point.

I think I'm starting to get what you mean, but you aren't clear enough.

You are saying a part of what you want, and not everything, and that confuses me.

You don't mean actual guilty but "guilty". am I right?
Old August 21, 2002, 19:26   #129
Sirotnikov
Emperor

Quote:
Be careful about that ... This is water on the mills of every German revisionist. The problem is not about where your ancestors lived 2000 years ago but where Jews and Palestinians (and especially those born in the region) can live now.
If they drop that "no jews in our neighbourhood" attitude they adopted in 1920, I see no reason why Arabs can't be our best friends.

As for the german revisionism - I see your point, but I don't see Israel demanding the borders it had under king Solomon (including Jordan, Lebanon and Syria).

Furthermore we gave back the sinai which is huge. So I don't think we reall can be blamed of expansionism.

Quote:
Personally, I had preferred that Jews live where they were (in, say, 1900) and without persecution etc.
I think ned covered it best.

This situation is hard to imagine.

Plus, we feel that no one understands us the way we do, and no one cares to protect us as we do.

Quote:
Not necessarily in a separate state but with the same rights and obligations as anybody else in their respective home state (I guess that many Jews stayed in Germany until they were killed for something that Nazis never would admit to exist - love of their native country)
I agree.

Most german jews loved germany. Infact, it was home to the reformist and liberal movements which say that judaism should become a standard religion, and not a full way of life and nationality.

But as long as judaism is not clearly a religion, but is also tied to ethnicity and nationality (judaism is practically the official religion of the hebraic people) Jews can't live properly in other countries.

Quote:
. Today, many of them have their home in Israel. The existence of modern Israel is a historic fact for over 50 years now and we have to live with it. This region is home to many Jews and many Palestinians - nobody has the right to deny it to either them. I believe that at least 80% of both populations would accept this - but unfortunately 5% and being unscrupulous is enough to terrorize 95%.
Agreed.

But I doubt that more than 50% on the Palestinian side, and more than 70% on our side, are mature enough to get over the "this is all ours" attitude.

Quote:
I have no hope for the near future.
I have no hope for the future as well.
Old August 21, 2002, 19:42   #130
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Could you specify what's a zionist by the point of view of a jew?
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old August 21, 2002, 20:15   #131
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Quote:
there are 1000 versions for the history of the region, new ones being written as we speak
History is written by the winners

Quote:
I think I'm starting to get what you mean, but you aren't clear enough

I think I'm more confused than you

Let's see if I can explain it... What I want to make clear is that I'm not against Israel neither on its side, nor I am with the kosovars or again, agaisnt them. What I care about is doing the best thing.
The best thing is giving everyone a country, a land to live peacefully and do what the f#uck you want to do, unless it's offensive or illegal.

But you can't give a country to every single ethnic group in the world. It would be insane and racist. That's why people are expected to live together.
So why are things so messed up as they are nowadays?
I spoke about Yugoslavia because it's a shame what they did to that country and its citizens. They were forced to live together but they did it, they managed to live peacefully for more than 70 years. Even under communism.

Now, there's no right to destroy a country even if it's a communist one, because:
1 people under a communist regime are not just mindless drones (sometimes they are- N.Korea, but it's a very rarity), so they have the same rights of every citizen of the world;
2 the fall of Yugoslavia happened only because they were allied with the russians. Nothing else. They just suffered the same fate of every east-european country
3 you could say that people were being kidnapped, killed, and suffered. That's true. But the west definitely couldn't care less about it. They had interests from the fall of Yugoslavia and did nothing to stop it. Now everyone had freedom, although living in misery and famine is a reality for most of the population. I lived in an ex-communist country for a couple of years, and although I was a child I can see the differencies.
Was giving freedom to the communist countries right? Definitely. But that wasn't the way to do it.

The same applies to the situation in the middle east. Land was given to Israel to form a country. What's done it's done. But the world totally forgot about the whole place too soon, as it happened in Yugoslavia, in Russia and in the islamic countries in middle east. Now the results.. you can see by yourself. If it will happen in Israel as well.. WW3! ehm
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old August 21, 2002, 21:02   #132
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Dr s, Since the Albania people were Orthodox before the conquest, I don't find your explanation compelling. While often conquests are merely changes of ruling groups, in some cases there are population changes. Especially in the Balkans, where groups had a tendency in ages past to committ wholesale massacres.
Are you sure that they were all Orthodox? Remember that Serbian was not indigenous to the area, it and its people came from the Hungarian plains area. Albanian and Kosvar are related to the indigenous language, and are the only living languages of that group left anywhere in the world. If anything it was Serbian that was brought in by conquerers. Are you suggesting that the Ottomans invaded the area, killed the inhabitants (i.e. the Serbian speakers and the Albanian speakers), then settled the area with foreign Muslims requiring them to use a dead language, one that the Turks had exterminated and which the Turks themselves did not speak? Geeeezzzz, those Turks sure are some wicked evil!! I'll bet they read Nostradamus and realized that someday their empire would fall, so they decided to hide their settlers by forcing them to learn the dead indigenous language. Soon those sleeper Turks, none of whom actually speak Turkish, while rise up and murder the hapless Christians of Europe in their beds.

Both of them.
Old August 21, 2002, 21:08   #133
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:

Well, if Hitler said it, it must be true!
Old August 21, 2002, 21:15   #134
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:

I spoke about Yugoslavia because it's a shame what they did to that country and its citizens. They were forced to live together but they did it, they managed to live peacefully for more than 70 years. Even under communism.

Now, there's no right to destroy a country even if it's a communist one, because:
1 people under a communist regime are not just mindless drones (sometimes they are- N.Korea, but it's a very rarity), so they have the same rights of every citizen of the world;
2 the fall of Yugoslavia happened only because they were allied with the russians. Nothing else. They just suffered the same fate of every east-european country
3 you could say that people were being kidnapped, killed, and suffered. That's true. But the west definitely couldn't care less about it. They had interests from the fall of Yugoslavia and did nothing to stop it. Now everyone had freedom, although living in misery and famine is a reality for most of the population. I lived in an ex-communist country for a couple of years, and although I was a child I can see the differencies.
Was giving freedom to the communist countries right? Definitely. But that wasn't the way to do it.

:
Yugoslavia fell apart because Milosevic got elected. He got elected by cornering the Serbian vote by appealing to their chauvinism. He told them that the other ethnic groups in Yugoslavia had more than their rightful share of the jobs and land and that he was going to do something about it. Not long after he took office the other ethnic groups abandoned ship. If Yugoslavia had elected someone who had made it clear that he considered all the peoples of Yugoslavia equal then the country might have survived.
Old August 21, 2002, 21:24   #135
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
Are you suggesting that the Ottomans invaded the area, killed the inhabitants (i.e. the Serbian speakers and the Albanian speakers), then settled the area with foreign Muslims requiring them to use a dead language, one that the Turks had exterminated and which the Turks themselves did not speak?
You misunderstood me. Albanians are decendents of the people whom the Romans ruled. They converted to Islam under the Turkish occupation, but were Orthodox before they were made part of the Ottoman Empire. Their nobility and royalty was Catholic, IIRC. There were three Albanian kingdoms at the time, allied to the Turks. When the Turks decided to annex their allies, their great Albanian-Ottoman general, Skanderbeg, led a 25 year revolt against the Turks.

When the Serbs invaded, I believe they were pagans. However, the Orthodox Church sent St. Cyril (hence the Cyrillic alphabet) to convert them. When the Great Schism happened, the areas under Roman occupation, both Albania and Serbia went with the Orthodox.

As for what the population of Kosovo was, it all depends on who did the asking. I've seen three different maps of the same region at the same time from three different countries (England, France, and Germany) all with different ethnicities in charge of various areas.

We do know that there has been a significant population change in Kosovo in the last fifty years, with many Serbs leaving for jobs in the big cities in the NorthWest while Abanians, like many rural people, had lots of babies. There was also a significant population shift just a few years ago, with the KLA chasing out everyone who wasn't Albanian, including Jews, Gypsies, Serbs, Romanians, etc.

I personally knew two Serbian Jews whose family was from Kosovo. Well before the war, my freind Sonja would tell me stories about what Kosovar terrorists were doing there. I chalked a lot of it up to nationalist hysteria, but there was undoubtedly a core of truth.

Milosevic's campaign against the Albanians began with some anti-Serbian incidents (some rapes and murder). No doubt if they hadn't happened he would have invented them. Also, following Tito's death, the Albanians began withdrawing from public life in Kosovo, refusing to serve in government positions, withdrawing their children from public schools, and refusing to use state health services, etc. Milosevic's speech came after that. None of which justifies any of the heavy handedness his government engaged in.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old August 21, 2002, 21:36   #136
Sirotnikov
Emperor

Quote:
Could you specify what's a zionist by the point of view of a jew?
Generally the love of Israel,

An actual political definition:
A zionist believes in the idea of a jewish sovereign home in Israel, due to the historical cultural and religious ties of a Jew to Israel.

A zionist would work for that goal and suport it.

From it you can deduce things.

For instance, a book which S Kroeze presented claimed that Zionism basically believes that the rest of the world are all anti-semites. That's incorrect and slanderous.

What is true, that Zionism is based on nationalism, and one of its beliefs is that you are your best friend.

I don't claim that everyone is a jew hater, but most people would care enough to do something to save another person, be he jew or anyone else.

Thus, I can only trust myself (or my people, if organized properly) to give me protection and organize my life.

Furthermore, I believe that Jews shouldn't always be a minority. They should have one state which they can call their own, in which they are a majority and can find refuge in.

That's it.
Old August 21, 2002, 21:43   #137
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Quote:
Well, if Hitler said it, it must be true!

Oh damn I thought it was Alexander the great who said it! I'm not a nazi, really

Btw it's true that Milosevic has huge responsibilities about that but

Quote:
the Albanians began withdrawing from public life in Kosovo, refusing to serve in government positions, withdrawing their children from public schools, and refusing to use state health services, etc.

I thought I was the only person in the world who knew that :P
And don't forget that if common citizens did such things, god knows what extremists have in their minds. Just check how many orthodox churches were bombed and burned to the ground, how many serbians had to flee their homes by car while surrounded by dozens of angry kosovars kicking, spitting and insulting. This doesn't fit in the "poor and mistreated kosovar" picture. I'm not saying that all kosovars are like that, nor that serbians didn't do such things as well. But the region was peaceful until THEY started the whole mess.

Ah! Dr. Strangelove how the hell can you have joined this forum in 1970? Thought computers were made up of coke bottles at the time

Asher on molly bloom
Old August 21, 2002, 21:46   #138
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Quote:
What is true, that Zionism is based on nationalism, and one of its beliefs is that you are your best friend.

So it's just being a strong lover of your self and of your own country? Got it. Thx for the explanation

Asher on molly bloom
Old August 21, 2002, 21:52   #139
Sirotnikov
Emperor

as for the rest of your post - it's too hard to comment on in 5 AM
Old August 21, 2002, 21:54   #140
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 09:34
I have a new suggestion what hasn't been really thought about before.

Why don't you Israeli people come here! It's not a problem really, we have synagogues already and all that. Extreme groups are not a factor here at all. and geographically looking, well.. they just can't come. You'd be safe in the north.
There are several perks: You could learn a new international language! We'd give you great addition to technological knowledge, and we'd get that too.
You could get Åland to yourself, like autonomy and keep the flag. That's if you want to, that way it would be possible to maintain those. Of course majority would blend into mainland. We'd get Aphex Twin, you'd get humppa. Then we could combine our military forces, you'd get good training and knowledge fighting in winter condition and in extreme weathers, and we'd get your knowledge fighting in cities. This would boost our economies as well, I think together we'd be the coolest technology countries. You could enjoy winters with lots of snow, ski etc, and we could visit former Israel in the summer time, have cabins and villas there.

Naturally the US could keep their funding going on, to make us even greater. We'd have access to your satellites and ICMBs and nukes, and you could have your own cabins by the lake, having saunas and fishing while we try to figure out how to use those buggers.
Nice!
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old August 21, 2002, 21:56   #141
Sirotnikov
Emperor

Why is it claimed to be racist?

Because zionists want Israel to be a jewish state:
ie Jewish majority, Jewish heritage in laws and character

There's no real issue in it, as if you take German, it would be silly to suggest that it is wong for germany to have a majority of Germans, or that Germany should not be based on german culture and so on and so forth.

The claim is usually made for those who live in non-ethnic cultures, like the US and to a point Britain.
Old August 21, 2002, 21:59   #142
Sirotnikov
Emperor

Pekka - our dicks are really small and they'd be even smaller where it's so cold

just kidding.

Please check where jerusalem, is.
That is the absolute center of our religion.
Other religious cities are bethlehem, kiryat arba, hebron, schem (nablus).
Old August 21, 2002, 22:01   #143
Sirotnikov
Emperor

Quote:
oy
that means the palestinians are winning as their version is being broadcast by bbc and cnn

btw, pekka, i'll consult to see what can we do about unification.
Old August 21, 2002, 22:05   #144
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 09:34
That would fit the picture, ours aren't so massive either! (except mine of course, it's a BEAST!)
And why would we be concerned about that anyway ?

Well I'm NOT saying you should leave it, I mentioned earlier that we (finns) could visit it in the summer time and all that, so naturally it would be under control.

Or we could just airlift the damn thing next to Åland.

edit: Or we could just change the names.. Get a new name. We'd be North-X and there would be South-X.
It would be great for our army, as we'd get to see some action, and therefore learn and have that experience. And your soldiers could rest for a while at the North-X.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old August 21, 2002, 22:08   #145
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
that means the palestinians are winning as their version is being broadcast by bbc and cnn
Ha. Are you watching a different CNN than me? On a scale of 1-10, 10 being most pro-israeli, 1 being most pro-palestinian, BBC looks like a 4 and CNN is at around an 8
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old August 21, 2002, 22:22   #146
Sirotnikov
Emperor

heh

CNN is broadcasting nonsense.

For instance, a day ago, while Israeli SF tried to apprehend a suspect he opened fire and a battle ensued in which he was killed and 2 Israeli soldiers were injured.

CNN didn't report it until 18 hours later with the folowing headline:
palestinain sources: israeli troops killed a palestinian in ramallah.

even after that, today, they only published the palestinian version, saying that IDF troops shot first and killed him. Israeli casualties were not mentioned at all.

Not one bit with an interview with the IDF.

It is clear to me that the Palestinian shot first, injuring the two soldiers before being gunned down.

Why?

Because it was an elite unit. If they had shot first - they would have killed him with no casualties.

Then why the 2 casualties you ask? They were disguised as arabs, and weapons hidden, since their goal was to arrest him.
Old August 21, 2002, 22:24   #147
Sirotnikov
Emperor

BBC has crossed every line of journalist integrity.

Not only do they bother to interview israeli spokesmen, maybe once for every 10 palestinian ones, their anchors and analysts are just as active palestinian spokespersons, if not better.
Old August 21, 2002, 22:27   #148
Sirotnikov
Emperor

Quote:
That would fit the picture, ours aren't so massive either! (except mine of course, it's a BEAST!)
And why would we be concerned about that anyway ?
You don't have to lie

Actually I read to conflicting reports.

One that the Israeli relative size is small (13) and one that it is large (17).

I have no idea which is true.

Quote:
Well I'm NOT saying you should leave it, I mentioned earlier that we (finns) could visit it in the summer time and all that, so naturally it would be under control.
And we would visit you in the summer time, when it is cold, but not too cold.

Quote:
Or we could just airlift the damn thing next to Åland.
huh? Aland?

Quote:
edit: Or we could just change the names.. Get a new name. We'd be North-X and there would be South-X.
It would be great for our army, as we'd get to see some action, and therefore learn and have that experience. And your soldiers could rest for a while at the North-X.
Yeah, I imagine guard duty in north would be boring.
Old August 21, 2002, 22:28   #149
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Ah! Dr. Strangelove how the hell can you have joined this forum in 1970? Thought computers were made up of coke bottles at the time
I invested heavily in Coca-cola!
Old August 21, 2002, 22:33   #150
KrazyHorse
Deity

Siro
Even if we stipulate the accuracy of your statements, it's an example of crappy journalism due to incompetence, not bias. CNN couldn't reliably inform you who won WWII.

That being said, their bias toward the Israeli side is evident from such things as their "Victims of Terror" spotlight which lacks a Palestinian counterpart. I'm not saying there's some sort of big conspiracy, but the American public wants a pro-Israeli spin. That's what they get. Euros want a slightly pro-Pal but mainly "morally superior" viewpoint. That's what they get.

CNN was sitting at around a 6 on my scale until a couple of months ago. Then there was a whole brouhaha about them supposedly practicing yellow journalism in favour of the Pals so they did what any market-driven media outlet would do: changed their stance.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'