Old August 20, 2002, 01:36   #1
CannonFodder
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontMac
Prince

Local Time: 00:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Written Constitution?
Does anyone else think it might be a good idea to make a written constitution that includes limits on the number of turns a President can play during his term? This little hiccup we've had seems like a grand opportunity to improve upon the system so that mixups like this don't happen again.

Anyone else agree? And does anyone else have suggestions for what rules we should write down?

This is just brainstorming, so feel free to post whatever idea comes into your head.
Old August 20, 2002, 04:47   #2
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Local Time: 17:36
Ask me three weeks ago, and I'd be opposed to the idea.

But now, I'm starting to see the need for a BASIC constitution. We don't need to follow the poor example of the Civ3 game, but a very basic one, concerning matters such as maximum turns played, and impeachment processes, may come in handy.
Old August 20, 2002, 05:04   #3
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 16:36
No need to put it in writing, just use our common sence to overcome such matters.

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old August 20, 2002, 05:22   #4
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Hydey
No need to put it in writing, just use our common sence to overcome such matters.

I believe common sense just failed us.

Defined rules in regard to number of turns would assist inexperienced presidents in knowing what to do, and guidelines for an impeachment process would clear up a lot of things.
Old August 20, 2002, 05:26   #5
Hydey
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkness' Edge

I believe common sense just failed us.
How so? the game continues , the president is aware of his errors and many of us are putting our hand up to help lift the stocks of our flagging civ.

I see no need to have definitive written laws preventing free thought patterns.

Old August 20, 2002, 08:06   #6
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

WE can just have a general mutually understood set of rules, but it does not have to be written....

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old August 20, 2002, 08:41   #7
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Local Time: 01:36
Re: Written Constitution?
Quote:
Originally posted by CannonFodder
Does anyone else think it might be a good idea to make a written constitution that includes limits on the number of turns a President can play during his term?

Anyone else agree?
Been there, discussed that, rejected same.

We can deal with problems without a constitution. This is the Civ2 Democracy Game. If we were dealing with hundreds of unruly posters like the Civ3 game, it would be a necessity. This is more of an informal community game.

Taking it too seriously would just suck all the fun out of it.

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old August 20, 2002, 18:20   #8
Hydey
Emperor

Re: Re: Written Constitution?
Quote:
Originally posted by -Jrabbit

Taking it too seriously would just suck all the fun out of it.
I must agree with that.

Old August 20, 2002, 18:28   #9
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 08:36
Quote:
Originally posted by Hydey
I see no need to have definitive written laws preventing free thought patterns.
You got my vote in upcomming elections
Old August 21, 2002, 00:35   #10
CannonFodder
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontMac
Prince

Who ever said it had to be as extensive or as limiting as the Civ3 demo game's constitution? The idea is just to have a very basic set of rules. Putting them on e-paper would help clear things up for people, especially those who missed out on the first demo game.
Former Imperial Expansion Minister of the first Civ2 Democracy Game
Old August 21, 2002, 02:29   #11
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Didn't we have something like that written up for the last game? I seem to recall that we had the basic framework for a constitution set out.
Old August 21, 2002, 08:55   #12
Marquis de Sodaq
King

No, we should just work thru it each time. Having set rules can spoil potential creativity, too, not just limit failures. So we elected a despot? Elect somebody else next time. Our internal political strife has given the AI an edge in the early going, we can overcome!

Can't we all just get along?

GROUP HUG

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old August 21, 2002, 09:00   #13
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

We had a committee, there were discussion threads, but in the end it was decided we were managing fine without a constitution.

As a result, we kinda "knew" what to do when things went awry. The main point was that we would just discuss problems as they came up. Anything without obvious consensus would be polled.

Sort of a "vox populi (+1)" approach.

Old August 21, 2002, 16:49   #14
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 18:36
If I could quote all of Hydey, -Jrabbit, civman, atawa and MdS, I would.

I happened to chair (unofficially, officially the head was James Adams - remember how useful HE was? ) that Constitutional Committee, and after clarifying one or two little things, there were no problems. Everyone made slip ups, no-one seemed annoyed, we all had a virtual alcoholic beverage or three and we got on with the game.

I still see no need for a written Constitution beyond those oh-so-vague understood responsibilities I summarised yonks ago. But, if anyone feels the need, by all means post a poll. If there is a majority for a Constitution, OK, things have changed. But just judging by this thread, you may find you are in the minority.

This seems to have been the first issue for a long time that has caused anyone any concern, but we are getting through it. I beleive 123john knows he can rely on practically anyone here, especially previous Ministers and Presidents to give help at any time, on any aspect of the game. Mistakes were made, names were called, a few of us woke up with evil hangovers (well, I did anyway), but this will pass and, at the end of the day (I HATE that expression), we will all get on with the game.

/me adds to the group hug

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old August 21, 2002, 19:23   #15
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 08:36
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
This seems to have been the first issue for a long time that has caused anyone any concern, but we are getting through it. I beleive 123john knows he can rely on practically anyone here, especially previous Ministers and Presidents to give help at any time, on any aspect of the game. Mistakes were made, names were called, a few of us woke up with evil hangovers (well, I did anyway), but this will pass and, at the end of the day (I HATE that expression), we will all get on with the game.
I think 123john's presidency was just about the best thing that could happen to this game.

It started out as a crusing to the next victory, but this whole episode was realy quite funny

I never asked for a hanging of a president in the Capitol's biggest square before
Old August 21, 2002, 21:28   #16
Darkness' Edge
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by atawa

I think 123john's presidency was just about the best thing that could happen to this game.

It started out as a crusing to the next victory, but this whole episode was realy quite funny

I never asked for a hanging of a president in the Capitol's biggest square before

too funny

but, i think i agree
it's been an interesting time
Old August 22, 2002, 01:37   #17
CannonFodder
Prince

Do we have any current rules about turn per term limits or impeachment proceedings?
Old August 22, 2002, 01:47   #18
CannonFodder
Prince

We could just catalog the very basics of our government system so that new members would know at least what the general ideas are. No actual rules, just a simple set of guidelines.

This would be a good place to start, I suppose: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=49340

However, it's a little out of date.

(Go ahead, nominate me to do it. )
Old August 22, 2002, 14:40   #19
-Jrabbit
Deity

Go ahead, CF.

Do a little research on our 1st game and compile the results here. You'll find stuff on elections, term limits, resonsibilities of High Council posts, etc.

Then start a "Rules As We Know Them" thread and we can fine-tune them.

Don't forget the Group Hug!!

Old August 22, 2002, 16:08   #20
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

term limits are 3 then out right? do we count the last game as part of that?

CF: just ask if you need help

*group hug*
*stabs random citizen in back during hug*

Old August 22, 2002, 17:58   #21
-Jrabbit
Deity

I though it was 4 consecutive, and maybe 3 for a single position. One month off, then start again.

It may have changed though...