Old August 20, 2002, 13:04   #31
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 02:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Great. Let's kill that bear, and then maybe we can turn to the problem of the people who kill babies.
Albert Speer
Old August 20, 2002, 13:08   #32
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Bears kill babies. Didn't you read the article?
Old August 20, 2002, 13:11   #33
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Why did the idiot parents leave their baby unattended in bear country?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old August 20, 2002, 13:11   #34
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 01:37
Bear's dead, Monolith.

Now we have to kill more.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old August 20, 2002, 13:14   #35
chequita guevara
Emperor

Deosn't quite have the same ring as "Dingo's Ate My Baby."
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old August 20, 2002, 13:33   #36
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 09:37
It is an animal, and you can't stop it from attacking you . The same is true vice versa. Anyone for going on a hunt?
Old August 20, 2002, 13:49   #37
chequita guevara
Emperor

I'm sorry, if you're vacationing in bear country, you do not leave your child unattented. Baby humans don't look like humans, they look like food. That's why we have to protect them. I feel sorry for the family, but they were stupid. This was just natural selection at work.

This is also how baby snatchers get their kids. Never, ever, ever, leave your children unattended. Christ! This has been standard operating procedure for humanity for millions of years!
Old August 20, 2002, 15:52   #38
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Local Time: 07:37
Looks like evolution accidently used a really old backup in this case...
Old August 20, 2002, 15:55   #39
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamrat X
Looks like evolution accidently used a really old backup in this case...
Stupidity is supposed to kill you, not other people. It doesn't qualify for a Darwin Award.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old August 20, 2002, 17:16   #40
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

i'm sorry for the family and the infant who died, but when you are in the wild it is YOUR responsibility to protect yourself and take the right precautions. To blame animals for the mistakes of humans is irresponable

What an awful memory for that family to have

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old August 20, 2002, 17:25   #41
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 03:37
This is very tragic.

Mobius tried justifying it and that is very wrong and disgraceful. I would of put that bear out of its misery with more than one shot.

People say people should of been cautious and that is true but this does not justify the fact that a child is dead.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old August 20, 2002, 17:27   #42
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
This is also how baby snatchers get their kids. Never, ever, ever, leave your children unattended. Christ! This has been standard operating procedure for humanity for millions of years!
It has not! When I was a kid parents generally felt safe letting their kids roam at will. ( I'm obviously not talking about infants now. ) When I was 4 my parents began letting me wander around the neighborhood. By the time I was 6 I would walk a mile to school on my own. Playing with friends did not require an advance reservation.

Raising kids in this paranoid atmosphere surely must affect their emotional development. Who knows, it might even be a factor contributing to youth violence.
Old August 20, 2002, 18:31   #43
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Local Time: 07:37
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Stupidity is supposed to kill you, not other people. It doesn't qualify for a Darwin Award.
Time for a new category perhaps?
Old August 20, 2002, 19:21   #44
Timexwatch
King

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
Why did the idiot parents leave their baby unattended in bear country?
Us country bumpkins upstate already know to carry shotguns every where because there are BEARS IN 'DEM WOODS!

But, in all seriousness, people from Long Island, NYC and Westchester shouldn't be allowed to go any further north than Westchester. They simply don't know what in the hell they are doing.
Old August 20, 2002, 19:53   #45
MOBIUS
Emperor

Local Time: 16:37
Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
This is the very first time I have ever heard anyone call the Catskills 'a dangerous part of the country'.
Sounds pretty dangerous for creatures of the feline persuasion...
Old August 20, 2002, 21:33   #46
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
If we stipulate that the child died because of the stupidity of its parents, then it is so evolution in action. Just because you're trimming the tree one generation down doesn't mean the long-term effects are any different. That being said, the quality required for the DA is that the accident cause the end of the genetic line branching from the stupid person. (Usually by death or sterilisation of childless adult).
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old August 20, 2002, 23:20   #47
MOBIUS
Emperor

Local Time: 16:37
Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
This is very tragic.

Mobius tried justifying it and that is very wrong and disgraceful. I would of put that bear out of its misery with more than one shot.

People say people should of been cautious and that is true but this does not justify the fact that a child is dead.

Gianinny.

I did not justify this - that would be saying that it is right that the child should be dead.

I fail to see why Wildlife should suffer because of the stupidity of the children's parents...

They left the child alone and asleep in a wilderness park for god's sake!

Now knee-jerk reactionaries want to declare open season and massacre animals whose only crime was to act in character in it's own habitat!

I hate people who seem to think it's humankind's right to destroy nature and rape this planet of it's resources!

People should be more careful with their trash and anything that could be edible to predators - they get a taste for it and unfortunately it ultimately means that they usually end up being put down as the become more and more of a nuisance to human populations.

At the Grand Canyon a few months back there was a hungry looking Coyote that wanted to be fed - I did want to feed it because it looked so pleading, but I knew that by doing so I would be contributing to it's death sentence as it got more used to human handouts - and in turn more greedy!
Old August 20, 2002, 23:24   #48
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 23:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
why did they shoot the bear?

or do bears really get the taste of human in them like that movie says?
Old August 21, 2002, 00:01   #49
The Vagabond
Prince

Local Time: 06:37
What I am really surprised at is that bear attacks on humans are so rare... There are a lot of bears in National Forests and Parks. There are also a lot of hikers. So why are bears so reluctant to attack humans?
Old August 21, 2002, 00:02   #50
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

the taste

I have read that great white sharks probably don't like the way humans taste. Not enough fat.

but I suppose sometimes bears get desperate or just plain go crazy for a second.
Old August 21, 2002, 00:02   #51
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by The Vagabond
So why are bears so reluctant to attack humans?
Would you want to eat a human?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old August 21, 2002, 00:13   #52
Kepler
Settler

Local Time: 22:37
Quote:
Originally posted by Timexwatch
But, in all seriousness, people from Long Island, NYC and Westchester shouldn't be allowed to go any further north than Westchester.
Hey, now. I'm from Long Island, and I'm a helluva lot farther north (Northern Oregon) than Westchester. We get bear attacks every once in a while, as well as coyotes and the occasional Extremely Unhappy Cougar. 9 out of 10 victims are the weekend warrior suburban tourists with $1,400 in gear. City folk know to stay away from anything larger than a bouncer.
Old August 21, 2002, 00:18   #53
The Vagabond
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
I have read that great white sharks probably don't like the way humans taste. Not enough fat.
But in order to know the taste a bear needs to taste at least one human. Anyway, he could simply attack at first, for just in case, and only then decide whether he wants to eat or not. Well, perhaps the smell of hikers is so repulsive that the poor bear retires in aversion.
Old August 21, 2002, 00:20   #54
The Vagabond
Prince

Quote:
Would you want to eat a human?
No, thanks.
Old August 21, 2002, 03:14   #55
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MOBIUS

Gianinny.

I did not justify this - that would be saying that it is right that the child should be dead.

I fail to see why Wildlife should suffer because of the stupidity of the children's parents...

They left the child alone and asleep in a wilderness park for god's sake!

Now knee-jerk reactionaries want to declare open season and massacre animals whose only crime was to act in character in it's own habitat!

I hate people who seem to think it's humankind's right to destroy nature and rape this planet of it's resources!

People should be more careful with their trash and anything that could be edible to predators - they get a taste for it and unfortunately it ultimately means that they usually end up being put down as the become more and more of a nuisance to human populations.

At the Grand Canyon a few months back there was a hungry looking Coyote that wanted to be fed - I did want to feed it because it looked so pleading, but I knew that by doing so I would be contributing to it's death sentence as it got more used to human handouts - and in turn more greedy!
Wilderness park? What wilderness park? The 'bungaloo community' in question is part of the town of Woodridge, NY, which has a year-round population of 13,000 and swells to sixty thousand in the summer. It's only seventy miles from NYC, for crying out loud.

There is no such thing as wilderness that close to the Northeast Corridor, regardless of what the tourism bureaus would have you beleive.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old August 21, 2002, 03:16   #56
KrazyHorse
Deity

Why are you so worked up about this?
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old August 21, 2002, 03:24   #57
The Mad Monk
Emperor

You are asking me why I'm worked up about a child being snatched up in the family's front yard in a town in the United States by bear that would not have been there in the first place has it not been for people feeling sorry that bears didn't live in that region anymore?

Is that what you're asking me?

Old August 21, 2002, 03:30   #58
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

uhh its the humans who invaded their territory. not the other way around (unless the bear escaped from a zoo or something ).

As humans encroach on their habitat these things happen.

As sadistic as it sound (so I'm sadistic) the people in the west who have these nice cabins in the wild that only the rich can afford should accept the possibility that a mountain lion or a bear will attack them and their family.
Old August 21, 2002, 03:41   #59
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
uhh its the humans who invaded their territory. not the other way around (unless the bear escaped from a zoo or something ).

As humans encroach on their habitat these things happen.

As sadistic as it sound (so I'm sadistic) the people in the west who have these nice cabins in the wild that only the rich can afford should accept the possibility that a mountain lion or a bear will attack them and their family.
Diss, how does one invade the territory of something hasn't lived there in nearly a century? This isn't a new community, it's bears that are new. They are invading our territory.
Old August 21, 2002, 03:48   #60
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

from where?

I admit I'm not that familiar with New York State. I just thought they were always there, or came down from Canada.

We could always blame Canada.