Old August 20, 2002, 06:42   #1
Journeyman
Settler

Local Time: 16:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Western Front dedication
Edit - Version 1.0 is ready, check next page.

Hi people,

Been a civ2 player for a while but I have recently got into it again because of the amazing changes you can make. I have made a few scenarios before doing simple editing of the graphic / rules text type but now I have found out just how much can be altered. I've been helpfully directed to 'The Vedas of scenario design' and now I want to begin this project:

Last edited by Journeyman; September 5, 2002 at 06:21.
Old August 20, 2002, 06:43   #2
Journeyman
Settler

WWI - the Western Front. I'm sorry if this has been already done many times, but I sort of have knowledge about it. I want to build a map encompassing the front form London(?) (to North), Switzeland (to South), Paris (to West) and Kiel(?) (to East). I did something of this ages ago and will now polish to off best I can

Once I do that, I want to create a well defined no mans land line, special units for each side and (this is the hard part) make it work so if you let the AI control Germany and France it will be such a stalemate they will fight for a dozen turns without progressing.

Too complicated / boring? I'm open for critism and comments. Any ideas on how to create a hard to pass no mans land, essential units and cities? If you've read this far, I appreciate it
Old August 20, 2002, 07:28   #3
FürstMetternich
Settler

Local Time: 07:37
Michael Jeszenka did a very good interpretation of No man land. You can download the scen there and see the details:

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ2scenmod.shtml

It`s called Second Reich and it`s more or less a warfare simulation as troop-movement and different operations are in the middle of this great great scen.

As far as I understand: he increased the defensive bonus and therefore it`s very hard to conquer this special terrain.

Last edited by FürstMetternich; August 20, 2002 at 10:36.
Old August 20, 2002, 23:43   #4
Hobbes
Warlord

Local Time: 23:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I have started a World War One Western Front scenario called "Over the Top". With my life chalk full of other activities, it will probably (never say never) get done... check it out... I'll give you the graphics from it, if you want.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=27924

"...gays who, because they just NEEDED their orgies..." -Mr. A. Speer
Old August 21, 2002, 05:34   #5
Journeyman
Settler

Sounds like a good idea FM, I'll check that scenario out. And thanx for the offer Hobbes, I'll be following your progress. I'm strapped for time too

Well to those interested, I have done the map to the specifications of a Western Front map I have and hope to start developing the scenario part. It may be rough (and bad ), but it will encompass everything I need.

Note= The white line is going to be the no-mans land, the graphic will change of course.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	westfront.gif
Views:	215
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	22656  
Old August 21, 2002, 18:28   #6
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 01:37
could you pick a different name than western front? everytime i hear that said, I think of Nemo's ww2 scenario
Old August 21, 2002, 18:33   #7
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Actually Nemo's were called Red Front and Second Front, but will let you go on that

Journeyman: looks good! Hopefully it will actually get completed unlike some others in SLeague
Old August 22, 2002, 06:19   #8
Journeyman
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower
could you pick a different name than western front? everytime i hear that said, I think of Nemo's ww2 scenario
Hmm, any suggestions Tower? I suppose I could call it 'Battle for France' or 'Dedication' (that's what it is) but I have little besides those.

Quote:
Journeyman: looks good! Hopefully it will actually get completed unlike some others in SLeague
No worries, ANZAC, one thing I am is dedicated to any project I start and the same will apply to this . I'm glad you like the map. I've kept it fairly small to make the front the focus. The whole idea is simulation of the pointless battles that transpired so if you watch from the neutral nation I'll add it should be a long stalemate. Of course if the player takes over that won't happen. Hopefully be a real challange though
Old August 22, 2002, 06:36   #9
Journeyman
Settler

--> Began placing the cities, improvements and terrain placements. The most tedoius part, but will be done.

All graphics not mine will be used from the Civ2 expansion CD (WWI) and a scenario called 'Second Reich'. The 'credits' text included state several artists and I will be sure to include them all (but there is no email to contact them by).
Old August 22, 2002, 06:52   #10
Journeyman
Settler

Major Infantry Units (Draft)

--> Only three so far, the basic soldiers of each force.

Name - moves - attack - defence

French Troops - 3m 6a 4d
Note = Though lesser in attack, French soldiers are given better movement to simulate home ground advantage.

British Troops - 1m 8a 5d
Note = Best normal soldiers in attack defence (not movement) done because in scenario Britian is smaller so units need more impact.

German Troops - 2m 7a 4d
Note = Between French and British.

Be sure to point out anything not right (in graphics, points) as I begin making the units. No idea on costs yet...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	basic-soldiers.gif
Views:	184
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	22730  
Old August 22, 2002, 10:46   #11
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Have you ever thought about using units by Captain Nemo?
Old August 22, 2002, 17:57   #12
Hobbes
Warlord

Here are some units for you:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	overtopunits.gif
Views:	176
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	22760  

Old August 22, 2002, 18:00   #13
Hobbes
Warlord

Need terrain or cities, just give a holler. I got 'em too.

Old August 22, 2002, 18:13   #14
Hobbes
Warlord

Cancel the last thing I said. All my WW1 stuff is in the 'Graphics Showcase' thread. Enjoy, folks!

Old August 23, 2002, 03:24   #15
NeoStar
Warlord

This looks interesting. I'm a Civ3 player now but I always keep an eye on this forum for good scns.
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old August 23, 2002, 03:35   #16
Journeyman
Settler

Thanx alot Hobbes

Those units graphics are great, especially the early tanks and machine gun nest. I'll be sure to look at the other ones too as I finish off the city structures.
Old August 23, 2002, 21:32   #17
Boco
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

How are you thinking of handling the various phases of the campaign: the fluid first 8 weeks, the stalemate where progress was measured by attrition not geographical objectives, and the 1918 breakthroughs?
Old August 24, 2002, 04:55   #18
NeoStar
Warlord

What events are you adding anyway?
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old August 24, 2002, 05:28   #19
Journeyman
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Boco
How are you thinking of handling the various phases of the campaign: the fluid first 8 weeks, the stalemate where progress was measured by attrition not geographical objectives, and the 1918 breakthroughs?
Quote:
What events are you adding anyway?
Boco, the scenario begins when the troops are well and truly dug in and should stay that way for a while. The 1918 surge of American soldiers and supplies are important though, and I agree it would do good to simulate it.

Regarding the events, so far:

-> I have made it so the three major powers (French, Germans, British) cannot talk to each other but can with Belguim and Netherlands.

-> Event tied with the taking of Paris

-> I know well the Germans had a sizable battleship fleet but to simulate the way it was badly ill used they can't build them (they have one, which is 'rebuilt' when destroyed.) British cities are not objectives anyway.

-> If the Somme or Verdun is taken the French recieve reinforcements.

This covers the events so far (and the 1918 one should be added too). I would appreciate any ideas/corrections.
Old August 24, 2002, 06:40   #20
tomcat ha
Warlord

There must be a event in begining 1918 or end 1917 when russia went out of the war because of the revolution
the germans must have then lot`s of reinforcements
Old August 26, 2002, 03:43   #21
Journeyman
Settler

Thanks for pointing that out Tomcat, would only be fair.

The cities have been finished for each side:

Aqua - Germany
Dark Blue - French
Orange - Britain

The other two are Belgium and the Netherlands.

I have also begun on the unit placements for each. The most powerful side is France but Germany is pretty well matched with numbers. The four British cities are well off and not vital objectives, the game can be won by taking those in France; the major French cities are very well defended.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	wfcity.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	22981  

Last edited by Journeyman; August 26, 2002 at 03:50.
Old August 29, 2002, 23:35   #22
The Apologist
Settler

Local Time: 18:37
Britain shouldn't be expected to conduct an amphibious invasion. Particularly not with M1 infantry. I recommend that you make Belgium a part of the British civ if you aren't going to have France and GB as the one civ (perfectly reasonable).

I had vain ideas of doing a Western Front scen. but don't know when and if I ever will, so feel free to steal my title: Vanguard of Liberty.

Also, please don't make the French army suck: it didn't. It's appropriate to make it difficult for the French to replace their pre-War army, though. (Maybe follow the Second Reich pattern of having Infantry and Conscripts, with the former v. expensive and the latter a bit sad?)
Old September 1, 2002, 03:52   #23
Journeyman
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by The Apologist
Britain shouldn't be expected to conduct an amphibious invasion. Particularly not with M1 infantry. I recommend that you make Belgium a part of the British civ if you aren't going to have France and GB as the one civ (perfectly reasonable).
Don't worry Apologist, I have taken a liberty by giving Britain a well defended city on Europe because the AI doesn't like amphibious invasions. To make it work (and more fun) a few things are inaccurate( ). This is all they need, I think.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Apologist Also, please don't make the French army suck: it didn't. It's appropriate to make it difficult for the French to replace their pre-War army, though.
No worries there either - France in this scenario is the civ to beat. While the Germans have the initial number advantage the French army matches them (betters them in mobility) and bites back hard.
Old September 3, 2002, 04:42   #24
Galvatron
Civilization II PBEMPtWDG Glory of War
Prince

Local Time: 00:37
Quote:
Originally posted by The Apologist

Also, please don't make the French army suck: it didn't.
Are you sure? I always thought the only thing Frenchies are capable of is this -->

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.
Old September 3, 2002, 16:09   #25
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

*sigh*
Two once so dedicated designers were planning such a project in the good old days... perhaps there is a curse or something on this... I wish you the very best of luck
Old September 5, 2002, 05:31   #26
Journeyman
Settler

Sorry for the delay, been busy lately.

The first version is finished (and I am happy with it). I decided against adding reinforcements for Germany (after Russia ends war) or America's intervention because I think the scenario would be resolved before that happens. If this isn't the case, inform me of it - and any other complaints of course.

I have used icons/units from the incredible Reich Two but all else is original. This is a simple yet (hopefully) detailed enough work focused upon the Western Front alone and the slaughter over it.
Old September 5, 2002, 06:50   #27
Journeyman
Settler

Edit - Cannot upload it. Will have to create a website to make it available.

Last edited by Journeyman; September 5, 2002 at 07:09.
Old September 5, 2002, 08:10   #28
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 08:37
if it's something finished(e.g. playable), mail it at markg@apolyton.net