Old August 30, 2002, 17:05   #61
Gen.Dragolen
Warlord

Local Time: 00:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
JohnM2433,

You're kidding right? What do you think the Mongols used? Even the young mongol children were able to ride at a full gallop and shoot their bows accurately.

And their standard tactic was to rush up to the enemy lines, shooting all the way, and then wheel off and appear to be retreating. As soon as the enemy broke formation to pursue, the Mongols would wheel and then the bows really did some damage.

In the game, I think that for balance, you don't want a foot unit able to upgrade to a mounted unit, ie Swordsman to Knight. Despite the cost in gold, the AI Civ's would not take advantage of it as a human player would, and again, you have another rush strategy.

As for Cavalry upgrading to Tanks, I know a real-life precident for this: my grandfather's military career. He joined the Wehrmacht a couple of years before WWII as a cavalry officer. He was still training on tanks in 1939 and his division wasn't sent to the front lines until the invasion of France.

That's the nice thing about modding: you can change to suit your own taste.

D.

- Chinese Proverb
Old August 30, 2002, 20:15   #62
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 01:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Gen.Dragolen
As for Cavalry upgrading to Tanks, I know a real-life precident for this: my grandfather's military career. He joined the Wehrmacht a couple of years before WWII as a cavalry officer. He was still training on tanks in 1939 and his division wasn't sent to the front lines until the invasion of France.
Excellent. My idea wasn't far from the truth. Do I know you?

Quote:
Amen.
Old September 3, 2002, 16:09   #63
JohnM2433
Warlord

Local Time: 22:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
You're kidding right? What do you think the Mongols used? Even the young mongol children were able to ride at a full gallop and shoot their bows accurately.
Hey, I just said that I didn't know about any such thing. I'm pretty much an ignoramus when it comes to actual world history. Some day I should at least read some of the descriptions in the Civilopedia...
Old September 5, 2002, 18:06   #64
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 08:38
hi ,

after playing a bit with the editor , .....

its great to have a marine or paratroop army , ......

and the good news is ; if you let the AI start with some , the AI actually uses them , .....

in 22 games where the each civ started with 12 of them the AI used about 3 for paratroopers and about 3 for marines , ....

thanks Soren , ...

have a nice day
Old September 5, 2002, 20:57   #65
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 23:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnM2433

Hey, I just said that I didn't know about any such thing. I'm pretty much an ignoramus when it comes to actual world history. Some day I should at least read some of the descriptions in the Civilopedia...
Today's history lesson. The Crusaders who went to Israel, to free Jerusalem from Islam, had a hell of a time with horse archers. Since the European knights were so burdened with their armour, the Muslim's "cavalry" could run in and out, firing arrows without very much opposition. By the time the knights reached the location of the horse archer, they were long gone.

If it wasn't for the fact that the Europeans had alot of experience with siege warfare, they probably wouldn't have had a chance in the Middle East. Even still, they never really defeated the Muslims, it more or less ground down to a stalemate.
Old September 5, 2002, 21:42   #66
Tuberski

Local Time: 01:38
Quote:
JohnM2433,

D.

And tanks are still called cavalry. It's just armored cav now.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old September 5, 2002, 22:02   #67
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 02:38
I suspect that if a very large army comes to your land and leaves more or less intact, it would not feel like a victory. It would be very costly to the host. Mind you I am not saying that is what happened, only that I bet they suffered a great deal. Kind of like Vietnam, the people did not win anything and lost about 2, 000,000 (their number). They got a new leader, really nothing more. The land did not change hands, only one party took control over another. At least it stopped after how many decades.
Old September 6, 2002, 11:15   #68
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 08:38
hi ,

what we should have is some type of mech infantry that "holds" a foot unit , .....

, put four of these in an army , .....

what is also intresting would be to have a naval fleet , .... it should only hold two units or so , ....

what about an air wing , ...

have a nice day