Old August 20, 2002, 12:37   #1
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 01:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
War Academy: What to do after orleans and Paris
Right now we are on the verge of war with france. Soon we will attack paris and orleans. Hopefully they will fall, however what to do next is still up in the air. I would like any ideas be they general or specific. I realize that much will depend on loses of the intial attack. My general idea( and that of the smc as well) was to have everything from a paris-marselles line eastward. He as I do, knows this is an unlikely and an optitmistic view. Personally I think we can attack from orleans toward rheimes and leave the southern cities for a peace deal. If rheimes falls easily and the other assalts were very lucky perhaps we move toward marselles. However much luck would be required and I think this is unlikely.
Apologies to Sir Ralph for starting this thread under a "war academy" heading even though I am not formaly a member. However due to my application and the nature of this thread I thought it would be ok.
Aggie
Old August 20, 2002, 13:34   #2
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 07:38
Quote:
Posted by Aggie in "The Apolytonian War Academy"
I too would like to join this noble and distinguished institution. Also I guess I better join since I am a deputy smc.
Aggie
You are a member. I added you to the list the same day you posted this. On topic I will reply later. Don't have much time now, am going out for a beer .
Old August 22, 2002, 11:23   #3
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 07:38
Much will depend on the outcomes of other wars - we must try to keep the balance on our side of the continent.
Old August 22, 2002, 14:32   #4
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 00:38
Aggie- our looses at Paris should be none, 1 at worst. At Orleans it might be bloodier, but lets say no more then 2 lost archers (same as whole American campaign). I think that leaving a couple of swordmen behind in paris, our troops should move north, to take Rheims, and also cut the iron supply (though not attack the city, since its on a hill). The Archers left could move on Rouen to complete the southern conquest, or try to take Marseilles even. We could probably pull it of. The French Army is very weak and we can't give them even a minute to try to recover or enlarge. We must be quick and brutal.

I don't see the French as any more of an obstacle than Abe was.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old August 22, 2002, 14:41   #5
ManicStarSeed
C4DG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityBtS Tri-League
Prince

Local Time: 22:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
We should get our UU (War Chariot) to trigger a GA during (last battle) the french wars.

I would like to see something between MASSIVE infrastructure building (I know it is a dirty word here) and MASSIVE military build-up.
NO WARS FOR 40 TURNS!!

We need temples, librarys and marketplaces to solidify our borders, propel our research and keep us in the Lytons. I would like to dedicate half the empire to infrastructure and half for unit building (at any given time).

We need some more workers to build more roads and connect our empire up and improve land.

We need kights and pikemen in the dozens.

Also, depending on the political (diplomatic) environment, we need either Monarchy or Republic. I suggest Monarchy for the MPs and the unit support.

Mss
Old August 22, 2002, 14:42   #6
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 00:38
GePap,

I do not share your optimism in Paris unless they pop rush an offensive unit. With size six, their defensive bonus is a bit over 3 (50% for size 6, 10% for grass). I would expect 2-3 lost swords on that attack, personally.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old August 22, 2002, 17:57   #7
ManicStarSeed
C4DG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityBtS Tri-League
Prince

Local Time: 22:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Unorth..

The 50% bonus applies to cities 7-12. Paris is just a town at size 6. They only get a 10% bonus for the grasslands.
Old August 22, 2002, 18:06   #8
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 08:38
I think enemy capitals get the +50% bonus at size 1 (they're displayed as cities rather than towns, and their walls are broken in the aerial view).
Sure, it's only a matter of display, but it can be significant.
Old August 22, 2002, 18:47   #9
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I am expecting as I said elsewhere 2-3 swords lost at Paris. I do agree with you elsewhere gepap except I believe in preparing for the worse so we do have a plan.
I would be all for more horseman but I don't want a chariot in battle yet, because it will trigger a golden age and we NEED library, unviersity,FP in place to really take advantage of it. Right now I am afraid it will help us not.
Aggie
Old August 22, 2002, 18:54   #10
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
I think enemy capitals get the +50% bonus at size 1 (they're displayed as cities rather than towns, and their walls are broken in the aerial view).
Sure, it's only a matter of display, but it can be significant.
to my knowledge this is true.