Prince

Local Time: 07:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Abandon or raze a city
There are two ways to rapidly "destroy" a city:
  • to raze the city if it was took from an ennemy,
  • to abandon the city.
Nothing new here.
If you raze the city, it has an impact on your international reputation. But what happens if you first take the city and then, in the same turn, abandon it?
The two ways are considered as destroying the city in the game's summary at the end.
Old August 20, 2002, 16:16   #2
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 01:38
Re: Abandon or raze a city
Quote:
Originally posted by Nym
If you raze the city, it has an impact on your international reputation. But what happens if you first take the city and then, in the same turn, abandon it?
Only if that city was captured and has some nationals from another civ. Otherwise they could care less.

I started a war with civ doing just that. I took Babylon and decided after a while, that all those unusable tiles (the babs made more cities around it and make overlapping tiles on the city), i gave it up. Not good.

I prefer Raze then capture. I go for a total victory.
Old August 20, 2002, 16:34   #3
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

When you abandon a city you kill all of the people in the city including people of other nationalities. So it's like razing it.

The new iPod nano: nano
Old August 21, 2002, 04:04   #4
Sea41571
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I dont Raz a city unless it does not provide a strategic point for more troops or alot resorces, otherwise its useless.
Old August 21, 2002, 04:47   #5
TacticalGrace
Prince

Local Time: 06:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Hagbart
When you abandon a city you kill all of the people in the city including people of other nationalities. So it's like razing it.
no the people don't die! they live on as workers (slaves?)
Old August 21, 2002, 04:49   #6
NeoStar
Warlord

Local Time: 16:38
Re: Re: Abandon or raze a city
Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05

I started a war with civ doing just that. I took Babylon and decided after a while, that all those unusable tiles (the babs made more cities around it and make overlapping tiles on the city), i gave it up. Not good.
So you say they declared war on you when you did this? I have never seen this happening - I cant say I have abandoned many cities but the few I did with foreign nationals didn't raise any reaction...
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old August 21, 2002, 04:49   #7
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 01:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Hagbart
Which is why either option is ABSURD, LUDICROUS, and a form of genocide surpassing anything Hitler ever dreamed of in both scope and efficiency.

They should be removed from the game. At least with PTW Culture Flipping, the fear of which is why people consider such crazy options, will be optional, so there will be no reason to consider such unrealistic options.
Old August 21, 2002, 06:57   #8
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Quote:
Which is why either option is ABSURD, LUDICROUS, and a form of genocide surpassing anything Hitler ever dreamed of in both scope and efficiency.

Guess what the Romans did when they captured Carthago.
Old August 21, 2002, 07:30   #9
NeoStar
Warlord

Local Time: 16:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Saint Marcus
Guess what the Romans did when they captured Carthago.
Getting rid of an ancient city is one thing. Killing a modern (25+) city is another - now that's a huge amount of people.

I don't mind the concept - but I think huge cities should not have that option.
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old August 21, 2002, 16:37   #10
Nym
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by NeoStar

Getting rid of an ancient city is one thing. Killing a modern (25+) city is another - now that's a huge amount of people.

I don't mind the concept - but I think huge cities should not have that option.
I agree, it would be more realistic. But we should also have the possibility to retreat (part of) our troops instead of simply losing them . I hate losing about 5 elite units such a way.
I often try to keep the cities I take, but when it happens I am so angry that I raze the city when I take it back. A kind of vengeance...
Old August 21, 2002, 16:44   #11
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 23:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Culture flipping will never occur on the first turn after a city's capture.

Abandoning a city several turns after its capture usually has one major advantage: Extending your border and slow down enemy troop movements. It's often possible to carry continued attacks based on your border expanding ever deeper into your enemy's territory. Once I managed to take 20 French cities(actually eliminated them) in a single turn using this way, which also means I don't have to raze anything and don't have to fear about culture flippings.

Razing cities will get you many slave workers.

I prefer Abandonment over Razing.
Old August 21, 2002, 16:45   #12
Moonsinger
Warlord

Local Time: 00:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Nym
I hate losing about 5 elite units such a way.
I often try to keep the cities I take, but when it happens I am so angry that I raze the city when I take it back. A kind of vengeance...
Have you seen the culture flip formula in this thread?

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...5&pagenumber=1
Old August 21, 2002, 16:59   #13
Nym
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonsinger

Have you seen the culture flip formula in this thread?

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...5&pagenumber=1
Not very easy to use such a formula during the game, but it should still be useful.
Thanks.
Old August 22, 2002, 10:26   #14
Galvatron
Civilization II PBEMPtWDG Glory of War
Prince

Local Time: 00:38
Well the AI often build cities on so unsuitable places (squares colliding with other cities) that you just have one option: to destroy it. I also prefer to raze cities for the reason mentioned above and some strategic ones (like hampering the economy of your enemy: the city is lost he couldn't capture it back and with this tactic you get every opponent down of course you must have a sound economy in the background so you don't need those cities) and those free workers are a nice bonus.

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.