Old August 20, 2002, 17:33   #1
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 03:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Apolytonian Geographic Society: a proposal
What do you guys think about a Geographic Society, or something similar? Each branch of government or non-governmental societies could have needs of a specific map, or maps, depending of their objectives.
This Society would be a non-governmental organization, able to respond requests of all group in our Demo Game. Some requests could take some time, depending of the data, of course.
This seems too much for a single person. Later in the game, the maps will be very complex. I’m looking for interested people to help.
I ask Togas, particularly, if he could find time, to help with the text to found this. All that legal stuff sounds very nice and respectable.
I have already a host to archive the maps, but with some limitations for data storage. I think I can manage this. It’s not so expensive, at all…
Suggestions, criticisms and comments will be welcome!
Old August 20, 2002, 17:36   #2
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 01:38
I would wish to contribute but I'm already doing a crapload. It certainly is a worthy thing to do, however.

If you need any juicey free internet space after the end of the month, lemme know. I can do 2 gigs for approx. $0 a month... ok exactly $0 a month.
Old August 20, 2002, 17:43   #3
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 22:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Re: The Apolytonian Geographic Society: a proposal
Quote:
Originally posted by Aro
I ask Togas, particularly, if he could find time, to help with the text to found this. All that legal stuff sounds very nice and respectable.
This is a fine idea. You don't need to worry about writing up something legal, as this Society would be just like the War Academy or Thinkers Guild. It would be a volunteer group that took map requests and published them for us all. Since it's voluntary and has no official power it doesn't need to have a law passed to create it.

IF you wanted to make a new position in the government called Cartographer or the like, I could help with the text for that. The new position's responsibility would be to create, collect, and post maps for all of us to use. The position would likely also be responsible for giving official names to landmarks and the like.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old August 20, 2002, 17:50   #4
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 02:38
I like the idea, however my home computer has no softwear to help contribute, even if I somehow come up with more time to help. Your maps have been excelent and very usefull so far.

Thanks for all the work.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old August 20, 2002, 17:51   #5
Reddawg
Prince

I'm certainly willing to help; statistics and maps work well together.
I had already been thinking about this, b/c I thought once the regions are made, it would be really nice to have a map that labels the regions and geologic landmarks on the map.
Old August 20, 2002, 17:51   #6
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Epistax,
This would be great! I'm paying approx. $12 a month... ok, exactly $11.95 a month
Thanks in advance.

Reddawg, your help will be inestimable! You are doing a great job with the stats.

Last edited by Aro; August 20, 2002 at 17:57.
Old August 20, 2002, 18:06   #7
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Re: Re: The Apolytonian Geographic Society: a proposal
Quote:
Originally posted by Togas

IF you wanted to make a new position in the government called Cartographer or the like, I could help with the text for that. The new position's responsibility would be to create, collect, and post maps for all of us to use. The position would likely also be responsible for giving official names to landmarks and the like.

--Togas
Thanks, GodKing and Togas... This is governmental matter, I don’t know if it is necessary. In fact, I don’t want any position in the office… You know, old friends become new enemies too easily…

Edit:
The links
Regions
Mingapulco (Former Region One. 300dpi, 12X7 cm)
Region two
Region Three
Region four
And the updated world map (300dpi, 30X20 cm, 1.9 Mb)
World Map
The sub-divisions of our continent:
Geographic Map
Apolytonia:
General Map
Outlined
The Grand Basin (by caesarqbear)
The Grand Basin
Ultra high detailed map of Abananaba Major (by caesarqbear, 300dpi, 47X27 cm, 1.4 Mb)
Abananaba Major
Tactical Map (300dpi, 32X19 cm)
Tactical Map

Last edited by Aro; August 28, 2002 at 22:03.
Old August 21, 2002, 00:34   #8
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Local Time: 17:38
i'd join it
Old August 21, 2002, 06:37   #9
disorganizer
Prince

Local Time: 06:38
ah! i see our contact finaly dropped ideas in here :-P

maybe you can also help us a litte:

im searching for a tool to convert a sav to a png/bmp/gif without revealing any hidden things (keep fog of war, keep undiscovered area etc.) to make maps of demogames...

the idea would be to run the utility on a sav to get the same view of the whole world you could get by scrolling-screenshotting-pasting together the whole thing.

maybe also a switch to get a plain geographical view and a view with cities, improovements units etc. would be nice.

if someone here find something like that, please give me notice! preferrably as pm here or on cfc.
i will do the same if i find it ;-)

Visit the Rebel Pub and Brewery in Bavaria, Fanatika!
Old August 21, 2002, 07:22   #10
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Darkness'Edge, you’re in!
Disorganizer, I wish I had such tool. The worst part of this job is just the "scrolling-screenshotting-pasting together the whole thing", as you said. Maybe some of the tech guys around could help us... Could save a lot of work.
Btw, tonight we will have another world map, Mr. UnOrtho will play 5 turns and post the reports and save.
See the VP announcement .
This means work... Reddawg, more stats are coming...
Btw, Reddawg, we will need to see how work on those statistic graphics, I think I could help.
Darkness, I have a lot of work today, but I'll free tonight, and we can talk about how share data and work . Now I'm in a hurry, but I'll send you a PM later.
Thanks, everybody.

Edit:
You can find the Reddawg statistics thread here:
The State of the Nation: Statistics #1: 2590 BC to 430 BC

Last edited by Aro; August 21, 2002 at 07:34.
Old August 21, 2002, 11:38   #11
Reddawg
Prince

Aro, I'll look into the next saved game and if there is enough change to merit an update to the stats, I'll do so. Otherwise I'll be waiting until the next turnthread, the one they're going to play Sunday, to update the stats. Are they establishing any embassies in tonight's turn? I need screenshots! Lol.

I'll look into the charts/graphs too... I think I could make some easily enough.
Old August 21, 2002, 12:21   #12
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Err... I don't know why, but all my links are dead at the moment. I'm trying to contact the #@%% people of Yahoo Geocities, but I couldn't. I'll try to fix this...
Well, it's annoying. Sorry.
Old August 21, 2002, 14:37   #13
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 00:38
I would be interested in such a group- after all, its the geographers that name the world! Though its great that I have recently found out that what I keep calling Anabana is really Abananaba (too many a's!).

Anyway: You have already made several great maps, so keep up the hard work
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old August 21, 2002, 18:03   #14
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Thanks the Great Banana! The #@%& links are working again!!!
GePap,
Thanks! You can help anytime you want, if send me your ideas (just a sketch, if you want), I can make some "final art", etc.
Old August 21, 2002, 23:20   #15
Aro
lifer
Emperor

The new Updated World Map (350 BC, 1.9 MB) is here .
Some more ocean tiles, two or three new cities, a barbarian camp near Tzintzuntzen (what a name!!! ). Probably more than this, I just took a glance.
Old August 21, 2002, 23:34   #16
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Is there any chance of posting a map of our territory WITH GRIDS TURNED ON. We could use it for the $MiniGame then.
Old August 21, 2002, 23:47   #17
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Do you mean Apolytonia? Yep, good idea. I'll do it in the morning. Now, it's bed time...
Old August 22, 2002, 04:22   #18
caesarqbear
Chieftain

I've got photoshop and know how to use it. I'd be happy to help, if you could just give me some pointers on how to get good screenshots. Is there a way to run Civ3 at higher rez?
Old August 22, 2002, 08:38   #19
Aro
lifer
Emperor

GhengisFarb,
You can find the maps of Apolytonia (with grids) in my site. Take a look and let me know if those maps are adequate.

Caesarqbear,
About the higher resolution, someone posted something in another thread. I’ll do some research. You have to change the ini.txt file or something like that. Well, this scares me…
What I’m doing is take screenshots (with the zoom out, if it’s a world map, or zoom in, if it’s a more detailed map) and them put the pieces together in Photoshop. To get the screenshots, you just have to press “Print Screen”, you know. Moving the cursor, you get the pieces. It’s like a puzzle…
Your help will be VERY welcome, and we can work together or in different jobs, depending of the requests.
If you want to, here is a job: look at the Geographic map in my site (see link in my sign or above, in another post). Could you make the maps of The great Basin, the Major Plain, The Minor basin, The Minor Plain and Abanabana (Anabana? Abanana? I need to fix this…)? You can use the new updated map as a reference, or take the screenshots from the 350 BC sav, what do you prefer. You can send me the maps by e-mail (aroeira@ism.com.br) and I’ll upload those maps to my site. Usually, I make them printable, with 300dpi and something around 20cmX16cm, or larger. I’ll put the credits, of course.
Now, you are officially a member of the Apolytonian Geographic Society! Be proud!

And please, forgive my spelling mistakes, not to mention the grammar…

Edit: e-mail

Last edited by Aro; August 22, 2002 at 13:15.
Old August 22, 2002, 12:10   #20
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Great job! Those should work, thanks.

Hey, does that big river have a name? How about it's tributaries?
Old August 22, 2002, 17:46   #21
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 02:38
Hello - just to let you know that region 2 now has a name (principality of pina colada - or PPC for short).

When we get all the regions named, and post war with france, if possible I would like to request a map of our territory with all our names. Thanks a bunch. All your work is very appreciated.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old August 22, 2002, 23:36   #22
Reddawg
Prince

GodKing i was just coming to this thread to suggest the same thing... well, you beat me too it! congrats.

i think a master map should also be made taht labels the geographic regions... could we do that? or maybe that'd be best left for after we've gotten Uber Isle covered.

Old August 23, 2002, 05:18   #23
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Just a suggestion for making maps...
When your getting the pictures out of the actual game, press the delete key on your keyboard. This will make all of the game interface disappear.
Another tip: Save each screenshot you use as a seperate file, then combine them as one out of the game. You won't have to keep on switching between the game to your file, but from one file to another.

Here's a link to a fine (albeit outdated) map of Phoenatica.
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads/p...ica-1800ad.jpg
Happy Mapmaking!
Old August 23, 2002, 11:17   #24
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Thanks for the tips, Octavian X.
GodKing and Reddawg, I'll work on this (with your input, I hope ), as soon I can manage my RL daily work (many cartoons and illustrations to do, and I play in two bands, with a lot of shows coming! Oh, man, I'm stuck...). Today I will be very busy, but tomorrow I come back.
Quoting Panag: "have a nice day..."
Old August 25, 2002, 10:13   #25
Aro
lifer
Emperor

There’s a new map on the site, done by caesarqbear. It's a detailed map of The Grand Basin. The link is here .
Thanks, caesarqbear!
Old August 25, 2002, 11:41   #26
Aro
lifer
Emperor

The 290 BC map is already done. is here .
I made it in a hurry, if I did some mistake, let me know.
Thanks.
Old August 25, 2002, 18:23   #27
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Here is our staff (in alphabetical order):
Aro
Caesarqbear
Darkness’ Edge
Disorganizer (as a “Visitor Cartographer)
GePap
GodKing
Octavian X (as a “Visitor Cartographer”, and also for the excellent tips)
Reddawg (statistics and cartography goes well together)
Togas (as our councilor)

Note: I put in the staff everybody who post here, with the exceptions of Epistax and GhengisFarb, they are too busy. However, they have a place here if they want.
Thanks.
Everyone who wants stay out just let me know…
Old August 26, 2002, 11:30   #28
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Caesarqbear's map of Abananaba Major is here . An excellent super high detail map.
Great job, caesarqbear, thanks!