yeah

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old August 20, 2002, 21:47   #32
*End Is Forever*
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'm sure you'll find your way over to the right side of the pond someday...
Old August 20, 2002, 22:45   #33
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 23:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
well I am a tolerant one. I love dogs. And I'd kill anybody who tried to eat my dog.

But as for other countries long as they aren't treated inhumanely while raising them I have nothing to say against them. In fact americans probably treat our food worse cramming so many chickens into such a small place. And I would hope they execute better than american places.

I'm curious how they raise the dogs? Can anyone explain how that works?
Old August 20, 2002, 22:54   #34
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:39
If they want to eat dog, let them.... I don't give a sh!t. Just don't try to eat my dog, or you'll be eating a 50 cal round from me DE.
Old August 21, 2002, 00:33   #35
Q Classic
Emperor

i think that 40% regular rate is high... seeing as i have yet to run across one in my many visits, and none of my many relatives seem to know of one.

i'm just sick of trying to explain that it's a special breed of dog, that it's raised as livestock, that it's not too gross, that it's not that popular, that i don't know anybody who's eaten it...
and then to have that all blithely forgotten and ignored with the next moronic newspaper column (e.g, a chicago tribune column about the world cup) or joke (e.g., the hughleys, jay leno) perpetuating that idea.
Old August 21, 2002, 01:00   #36
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:39
Why should you have to explain it at all?

It's a culture centuries old. WTF do beef chewing, beer swilling, wife beating, environment burning Westerners have to say about it? Our sh*t don't stink?

And vegans can take a hike too! WTF? It's food. It's just more of the holier than thou attitude westerners are all too famous for.

Why do you think people hate(d) Europeans, and now Americans? Cause we all have bad breath? No. Because we know what's good for everybody based on our own prejudices.
Old August 21, 2002, 08:06   #37
Q Classic
Emperor

why do i have to explain it?

because a lot of ignorant people make jokes about koreans referring to dogs. nothing else. it seems like that's all koreans are known for, sometimes, this dog-eating.

they don't think we have any different culture from japan or china, hell, some of them probably don't even know the capital, but they do know one thing-- we all eat dogs and enjoy it.

that's why i have to explain it.
Old August 21, 2002, 08:22   #38
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:39
If a 2/3rds of a billion Indians decided to boycott Western products over our eating of a scared animal, what would we do? That's a lot of people and a lot of money.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old August 21, 2002, 08:30   #39
Gary
King

Local Time: 06:39
It's not what they choose to eat, but how they treat the creature beforehand.
Old August 21, 2002, 08:31   #40
Vesayen
King

Because dogs are sentient(self aware, and inteligence wise bordering on humans), and I dont know about you, but I have a problem killing sentient life, let alone eating them.

Things other then human are self aware also.......
Old August 21, 2002, 09:20   #41
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
Because dogs are sentient(self aware, and inteligence wise bordering on humans), and I dont know about you, but I have a problem killing sentient life, let alone eating them.

Things other then human are self aware also.......
that's not the issue that i have a problem with. eating tuna could be considered a bad thing, because even now, dolphins die in the nets. yet westerners eat tuna...

look, i have no problem if you have a goat with the fact that some koreans eat dogs. but if that's the case, tough. don't try to force your western ideals on a country that is most decidedly not western, and one in which most people already don't eat dog because they have no taste for it.

the issue i have the biggest problem with is the fact that all you eurocom or ami liberal bleeding hearts, proclaiming that you want equality and all that other sh1t complain as if all koreans were puppy-killers.
we're not. hell, eating dog is a tiny fraction of korean culture, one that isn't really even liked anymore.

get off your fvcking high horse. if it weren't for you bastards, we wouldn't have had all the troubles in africa or latin america, nor would we have had japan on its sick rampage throughout asia. it's not like you have any moral grounds to claim what is good or not in a part of the world you're not native to. you tried that already to disasterous results.

you eat cow brains and pig's feet. you eat livers and chicken gizzards. cows feel pain. chickens are raised in crueler conditions than the korean food dogs. and pigs are just as intelligent, if not moreso, than pigs-- and are more useful in terms of saving human lives-- people can get pig body parts and use them.

stow it. i'm tired of explaining why it's not sick, and i'm tired of explaining that it's not even a tiny part of korean culture.
Old August 21, 2002, 09:21   #42
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Local Time: 08:39
I think they should be allowed to eat dogs,
as long as those dogs aren't their former pets.
I mean, it's disgusting to tell your little daughter "Tonight we eat our cute puppy dog, you're going to love it!"

On the other hand, I don't see why we can't make jokes about it? I think it's ok to make good jokes about cultural differences. Just to have fun, not to discriminate and all that. We make jokes about germans who drink beer, belgiums who aren't that smart, americans who are fat and koreans who eat dogs.

Quote:
Ming: And that is the reason while it will stay open (unless it turns into a spam fest)

You were unaware of the previous threads. The other two threads were started with knowledge that the last one had been closed. It's a matter of intent.

Carry on...
Ooooooooh Ming, you're so cute!
Of course it's a matter of intent! AND I'm so happy that you can read our brains, and understand our intents!

This is so pathatic. It's starting to become funny.
I mean, if you really are serious on this matter, than that is soooooooooo extremely laughable! In fact you guys start to act like teachers who can't control their students, and start to show their power in all pathatic ways.

it's really hillarious
What will be next....... I can hardly wait.
Pherhaps I'll be banned as well now. Or you will make some cute jokes. Or you will admit........ no, you won't do that. (eventhough I know you can do it, I saw it myself. )

oh oh oh oh oh oh oh...........
(I like the line "(unless it turns into a spam fest)", I mean, why would it, it's a serious topic. Or are you going to drop in every thread soon to put that down?)
Old August 21, 2002, 09:37   #43
Q Classic
Emperor

well, the first thread (mine) was closed because i'd accidentally posted 3 in one day (i forgot i'd posted two.)

the second (provost harrison's) was closed and deleted because he copied my first post and then added his own comments, but i guess it was closed to teach me a lesson or something? (except, see, i'd already known about it, it just was an honest gaffe)

the third (connorkimbro), but that was closed too.

i figure if four threads have been opened about this, leaving it's a serious enough thread that it deserves some thread time... and i figure also that although mine was rightly closed, maybe the other two shouldn't have been?

anyway.

======

Quote:
On the other hand, I don't see why we can't make jokes about it? I think it's ok to make good jokes about cultural differences. Just to have fun, not to discriminate and all that. We make jokes about germans who drink beer, belgiums who aren't that smart, americans who are fat and koreans who eat dogs.
we do make fun of germans and beer, irish and drinking, belgians who aren't smart (well, actually, i wasn't aware of that-- here in the states it's more poles than belgians), and americans who are fat.
but the difference between those and koreans eating dogs is that in the former case, scorn and vitriol isn't thrown down alongside it, whereas in the latter, you have loads of non-koreans condemning it for no good reason at all, and ignorant non-koreans laughing at it and thinking that's all about korean culture. i can't tell you how many times i've had to explain that nobody i know who's korean has ever eaten dog.

that's why it's different. and that's why it's less amusing. and that's why it's more dangerous-- because you don't have people protesting and wanting to boycott an entire nation based on drunkeness, bier consumption, obesity, or stupidity, even if it's taken from a small group of people.
Old August 21, 2002, 10:10   #44
mindseye
King

Local Time: 14:39
Here in Shanghai, I've eaten dog twice, and I can attest to the fact that it is quite good.

Quote:
Uh, you ever eat pork? Pigs are smarter than dogs. Take it from a former Iowa country boy.
Old August 21, 2002, 10:25   #45
Vesayen
King

"don't try to force your western ideals on a country that is most decidedly not western"

These arent "ideals" your doing something barbaric, if your culture valued the murder of people over the age of 40, would it be okay if it was a cultural "ideal".....ending the life of anything which is self-aware is murder.

"you eat cow brains and pig's feet. you eat livers and chicken gizzards. cows feel pain. chickens are raised in crueler conditions than the korean food dogs. and pigs are just as intelligent, if not moreso, than pigs-- and are more useful in terms of saving human lives-- people can get pig body parts and use them."

Im a vegitarian.

and no I dont eat pork either, because im Kosher(though I dont eat meat).
Old August 21, 2002, 10:47   #46
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

I do not have any problems with what other cultures eat or do not or most other cultural differences. I am substantialy in the live and let live mode. I expect that the majority of people who make jokes about such difference do not have such problems. Differences in foriegn (to the joker or audience) cultures are common sources of humor. Such humor tends to fall flat in front of members of the pertinent cultures and defective PC liberals.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old August 21, 2002, 10:50   #47
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
These arent "ideals" your doing something barbaric, if your culture valued the murder of people over the age of 40, would it be okay if it was a cultural "ideal".....ending the life of anything which is self-aware is murder.
i'm doing something barbaric? you didn't even read the post, did you. didn't i say that most koreans didn't eat dog? most koreans don't know of place that serves dog? that i don't know anybody who does, nor know any place that serves it?
what am i doing that's barbaric? defending my own culture from an assault on the outside by people who have no idea what they're talking about? defending my own culture from an assault by ignoramuses who think that korean culture can be summed up in one thing-- eating dogs?

wow. yeah, i guess i am a barbarian. i'm so sorry. yeah, i guess korean culture does suck. by the way, since we're barbarians, i guess we need them white people from europe to come in and teach us what's right from wrong, don't we? we don't know how to live by ourselves.

i guess we were wrong about all of that confucian stuff in which education was prized. that ideal is out. i guess the ideal that fish is also meat is out. i guess the idea that meat is good to eat because it's very healthy is out. i guess the idea that developing our nation at the cost of our environment is in (it's western). i guess the idea of allowing more and more criminals back on the streets is good (again, western).

it's your ideals in conflict with ours at the crux of this dilemma. my ideals are no more barbaric than yours.

vesayen, i didn't say it was a good practice. but the western world sanctions the termination of many self-aware beings for food and for sport. you personally may not engage in it. but your compatriots do, and still maintain such a holier-than-thou attitude.
few koreans actually eat dog. and yet, all of us are lumped together with them, and we all get the bad rap because of it.
that you wasn't directed at you. it was directed at western culture as a whole.
but even if you are a vegetarian, what right do you have trying to enforce your views of how the world should be on a culture that a) is not yours, b) is doing nothing violating human rights, c) is merely extending the definition of what is edible meat to one more livestock animal, d) is predominantly not vegetarian?

Last edited by Q Classic; August 21, 2002 at 11:28.
Old August 21, 2002, 10:55   #48
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Vesayen - is your beef (pun intended...but seriously) with people eating meat? Or people eating dog?

If the latter, why is that any different?

Q Cubed - Thanks for your comments, you've cleared a few things up. I started this thread as a poster made a 'funny' picture a few days ago at CGN...i think I'll post it just so people can see what I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	fluffy.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	22674  

Last edited by orange; August 21, 2002 at 11:01.
Old August 21, 2002, 10:59   #49
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

If humans weren't supposed to eat meat, how come we have canine teeth?
Old August 21, 2002, 11:15   #50
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
Differences in foriegn (to the joker or audience) cultures are common sources of humor. Such humor tends to fall flat in front of members of the pertinent cultures and defective PC liberals.
such humor is also not the basis of completely unfounded liberal movements to decry the "cruel" or "barbaric" "nature" of some "foibles". i have no problem with most humor about koreans. why? because it's not something that gets hammered home in quite the same way-- you don't boycott the polish because you think poles are stupid; you don't boycott the french even if you think they're a bit too snooty; you don't boycott the irish because you think they're all drunks.
but people do boycott and deride the koreans because for some reason they think all koreans like eating dog. and they laugh at that.

that's why it's not funny.
Old August 21, 2002, 11:25   #51
Vesayen
King

Quote:
Originally posted by orange
Vesayen - is your beef (pun intended...but seriously) with people eating meat? Or people eating dog?

If the latter, why is that any different?
Its with meat eating people in general, but dogs especially bother me because they are generally treated with more respect then a hamburger.
Old August 21, 2002, 11:31   #52
orange
Emperor

Quote:
Its with meat eating people in general, but dogs especially bother me because they are generally treated with more respect then a hamburger.
In our culture...yes...

however, in India, what you're doing is just as bad as what you THINK people who eat dog meat are doing.

Old August 21, 2002, 11:31   #53
Q Classic
Emperor

luck: i got this quote while editing a post.

Quote:
The price of seeking to force our beliefs on others is that someday they might force their beliefs on us.
-- Mario Cuomo
vesayen, the dogs used are not the same dogs as any pet dog-- no poodles, no collies, no terriers, no labradors. it's a special breed, bred for the purpose of being livestock.
it's not treated with more respect than a pig, or a cow.

and dog meat isn't used in anything as vulgar as a "hamburger". it remains a very niche meat, preferred generally by people in the very rural areas, and it tends to be used only in select dishes-- delicacies.

again, few people ever really eat them. koreans tend to favor fish, followed by beef, then pork, then chicken.
Old August 21, 2002, 11:36   #54
orange
Emperor

do you live in Korea Q Cubed, are you just from there?

Old August 21, 2002, 11:38   #55
Vesayen
King

Quote:
Originally posted by orange

In our culture...yes...

however, in India, what you're doing is just as bad as what you THINK people who eat dog meat are doing.
I dont eat any mammals(poultry, chickens are dumb, my mind is okay with that, as are most fith), so India wont have a problem with me.

Q: Your making it sound like im bashing all Koreans for being terrible dog eaters, im not...i've never said that, but those that do are barbarians(as are anyone who eats cows).
Old August 21, 2002, 11:55   #56
orange
Emperor

that's what I was asking earlier

had a brain fart, forgot you were a vegetarian, so disregard that comment about India and put a 'we're' instead of a 'you're'

Old August 21, 2002, 12:01   #57
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

"Barbarians" is it. Well such barbarians have the vitality you vegans lack, and the willingness to KILL in order to advance their civilization. I am a OMINVORE. I shall eat you sacred cows, your unclean swine (likely more sentient than dogs), your cute furry game animals, your sweet cooing doves, I sahll eat whether they are raised: free range, factory farm, or wild game. I will kill and slaughter some of them myself. I will continue to deride weak bigoted fools who discrimnate among food scources in the same taxomic kingdom (remember that all live with multicellular, plant and animal, life is now in the same kindgdom). Vegan maladaptives, when you are scrouging for some small bit of lysine or other amino acid to cure your protein deficiancy, I will bestride your land like a colossus of power and full nutrition, and ensalve my decandent overcivilized inferiors.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old August 21, 2002, 12:04   #58
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Where do I sign up for your army?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old August 21, 2002, 12:13   #59
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Where do I sign up for your army?
I have bar-b-ques and cookout parites about once month, how far from San Antonio are you.
Old August 21, 2002, 12:18   #60
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
I have bar-b-ques and cookout parites about once month, how far from San Antonio are you.
Apparently way too far. This is the first post that ever made me wish I lived in Texas. Not that I'd be invited. No one invites commies. They're afraid we might bring Red Aunts.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...