Old August 21, 2002, 05:05   #1
Fighter
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
First Monarch game
So I figure I'll bump myself up to Monarch for the first time the other day. I also figured that I would try out the Egyptians for the first time and do some major Charioteering.

I figured I would scale it way in my favour just for fun, tiny map, 5 billion years, you get the picture.

My nearest neighbour was Greece, who happened to be sandwiched between me and a growing Rome. So I look at this and just laugh, I figured I didnt stand a chance since both had units with 3 defense.

I try anyways, ROLL RIGHT THROUGH Greece, then move onto Rome, in a matter of turns Ive taken out his 3 biggest cities, only a matter of time from there, although one city on hills with 2 Legions held me up for a bit.

From this point Ive got my original 4 cities, one Greek city that I kept and a Roman city that I kept. Unfortunately I need to jump continents to hit Russia, no real problem I just had to build a navy. So I get my two Galleys together at a point where they can cross the distance in one turn, load up and go, Russia also not much of a problem though I was slowed up enough that I ended up with a half dozen Knights backing up my 30 or so War Chariots.

I dont get it, I was never attacked directly, never had much of a chellenge. It was just one relatively short blitz across my enemies.

Where was the challenge of survival I had been expecting? I never needed more than 6 cities and one didnt even produce very much! I just massacred my oponents.

I went in expecting my cities to be self contained fortresses filled with improvements to augment my efforts to stay alive, I ended up with a bunch of Temples and a couple of Walls built and that was it! I didnt even switch out of Despotism until I noticed I was still in it sometime circa 500 AD.

Is this how Monarch is with Egypt? If it is I dont think I will ever play Egypt again, it was no fun and throughout it all I barely got any 5/5 chariots and not a single leader.
Old August 21, 2002, 05:41   #2
=DrJambo=
Prince

Local Time: 06:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
try Emperor then, likewise i used to play Monarch but after winning almost every time (and i'm not even really much of a warmonger) i decided the hop up was necessary.

Also bare in mind that Egypt is one of the best civs... Industrious/Religious. Why not try your next game as the English..

Old August 21, 2002, 06:34   #3
Fighter
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Nah, I think I'll just go back to my favourite, Germany. Just cant say no to Bismarck.
Old August 21, 2002, 10:43   #4
Egyptian
Settler

Local Time: 06:39
Try monarch on a standard map with more civs. It's more challenging. I played Monarch on small maps for a while and found it pretty easy. Standard map was a bit harder - more civs to trade techs between each other and to help defend one another. Maybe large/huge maps are harder too. Interesting to know that you mopped up while playing Egyptian. It's always been my favorite civ. Although I often play a random civ now to make the game more challenging, I used to always play Egyptian.
Old August 22, 2002, 00:29   #5
n8mac
Settler

Local Time: 01:39
That's ironic. I just started my first monarch game with the Egyptians last week! I started out on the standard map with lots of mountains and seven civs. I began on the southern tip of a continent and was halted by a large mountian range. After a while I discovered the Indians and found that they were already in the next age! Turns out that I (expecting them to trample me) built more units and less science, and the other countries close to each other traded their tech with each other. In a plan I thought doomed I went to war with India and my swordsmen and longbowmen beat their riflemen and calvary! I just took stacks of my men and hit their smallest cities first and now they are no more. Its now in the 1900's and I may not win but I am holding my own. I guess its how you start out the game.